Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Hydroponics Supplies, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDem_Bones
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: District of Columbia
External thermostat inline
    #3820877 - 02/23/05 04:25 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i am looking for a external thermostat that can be plug-ed in-line and has an external temp sensor the metal type like a thermo-well or thermo-couple. i want to be-able to take a working refrigerator or freezer and plug it in to this thermostat and have its thermowell in side the fridge but not the whole thermostat and then set a temp for it to kick on its outlet that a fridge or fans is plugged in too. the main thing is i don't want the thermostat in side just the sensor i have tried putting a furnace thermostat inside one and wired it in manual and it worked OK but was not accurate anuff and the humidity cant be good for it

here is a pic if want i am talking about just mount to side of fridge stick sensor in side and plug fridge in to it and plug it in to wall

--------------------
CLICK THIS Ultimate Myco Directory v5.0
At the bottom of this page is a search bar to search all the post and threads on the forum so you can see all the other 500 people who asked the same thing.use the top search too it has shroomery approved FAQs USE IT YOU CAN DO IT !

Edited by Dem_Bones (02/23/05 04:27 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
Re: External thermostat inline [Re: Dem_Bones]
    #3824296 - 02/23/05 10:02 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

can't tell you what they are called but go to a good petstore and look in the reptile section. You will find what you are looking for there. They run about $60. Worth every penny. while your there check out the ceramic heaters that plug into a light socket. great way to heat your fridge or just use a heat lamp with a shield around it to cut out the light.
If you want to be creative. and have a 2 door fridge. set up an ultrasonic hum and a heat lamp inthe top half. build a metal box around the heat lamp. hardwire the freezers fan into the light bulb and plug them both into your retile thermostat. cut a hole in the back of the freezer cover it with a filter to screen out unwanted stuff. now drill a hole in the freezer into the fridge section. run the humidifier tube thru this hole. make drip tray underneath this tube to collect large water droplets. angle it so it will run down the back side of the fridge. get a garden grow bulb and screw it into the fridges light bulb socket. wire it so you can set it up on a timer. also drill a hole in the bottom of the fridge so that water build up can be reomoved from the drip tray below.
Ya your going to destroy a fridge but you've built yourself a great container for growing .

OfflineDem_Bones
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: District of Columbia
Re: External thermostat inline [Re: brewwhaha1]
    #3824731 - 02/23/05 11:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

ya thats the idea for heat i just use a 250 watt infa-red heat lamp the type you would use to warm a dog house or hen house, the red light from these bulbs dose not cause mushrooms to pin in the 8 crops i have used it for.

--------------------
CLICK THIS Ultimate Myco Directory v5.0
At the bottom of this page is a search bar to search all the post and threads on the forum so you can see all the other 500 people who asked the same thing.use the top search too it has shroomery approved FAQs USE IT YOU CAN DO IT !

Offlinejc_illenium
undesirable
Loc: earth
    #3825145 - 02/24/05 12:33 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

there are some really nice incubators out there with humidity,oxygen,temp and light bulbs integrated into it. they caust about a grand or two, depending on how fancy. fully automated and everything. from incubation to fruiting. i suppose it would cost maybe even a little less then some refridgerators.

you can also pick up an egg incubator big enough for probably 12 pint jars. i think that cost somewhere arround 70. they also have temp control.

i would like to upgrade alittle with some better eguipment in the future. but for now its tubs, heating blankets, aquariums and ultrasonics.

we should have government funding.

--------------------
on my knees and burnin
my piss and moans the fuel that
set my head on fire
smell my soul its burnin

OfflineTorey
consciousparadox

Loc: somewhere over the rainbo...
    #3825573 - 02/24/05 01:32 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

like this:

http://www.mycosupply.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=ENVI01

?

I have searched hydroponic websites and many of these are available.

--------------------
peace and love!

OfflineRandoscious_McCray
A Myth
 User Gallery
Re: External thermostat inline [Re: Torey]
    #3841159 - 02/27/05 02:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Torey,

Looks a little pricey.. Anything around $25, either manufactured or from a schematic?

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: External thermostat inline [Re: Randoscious_McCray]
    #3849778 - 03/01/05 01:27 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You will not find it for $25. The cheapest you can do is wire it yourself for $35 (that's the switch plus probe cost) plus shipping plus about $5 for a 3-prong male and female power cord at ShroomMart:

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/temperature/SeriesDTSPrice.cfm

I have wired up this type of switch, and I don't recommend them. These Dwyer switches are hard to program and generally lack quality construction. I recommend the Ranco switches which are of a much higher quality and intuitive to program. They look like this:

http://www.automatedaquariums.com/ranco.htm

These switches are a little more expensive than the Dwyer one, but it's totally worth it. You can buy these brand new all hooked up to a power cord and female cord for about $70. If you want to save a lot of money, you can get these without the power plug on e-bay for about $40. You can buy a heavy duty 3-prong plug "extender" which has both the male and female you need for $5 or so at ShroomMart, and just screw them on the screw terminals as shown in the manual. Then you have the whole unit for about $45 plus shipping and taxes.

I use the Ranco to zero in on any temperature I want using ANYTHING that produces heat. If you want closet to be 86F, you can just hook it up to a light bulb or whatever and set it for 86F. The temperature at the sensor won't vary but one degree. It's awesome to just punch in the temperature you want like that.

Edited by Blue Helix (03/01/05 01:32 AM)

OfflineRealnuggetz
Just a friend of the family
Male User Gallery

Loc: San Francisco bay area
Re: External thermostat inline [Re: Torey]
    #8492453 - 06/06/08 01:48 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I asked forum members for help on this matter myself as I plan on using an entire small room for incubation. However, I don't have a problem with heat. My problem is with cold. I believe the thermostats from mycosupply (would be worth every penny if they suited my needs) ONLY CLICK ON A COOLING device. Meaning that I can't set to to activate when the temp gets too low. I want to hook up a space heater and have it turn on when the temp gets 82 degrees to bring it back up to 86 degrees. Am I right that this device won't help?

--------------------
Nothin left to do but smile smile smile
ASK ME! about wholesale parcels of raw stones, gems, ect! Deals for the homies here! Also ask me about legal nationwide cbd cancer medicine. My moms friend, a doctor, just moved his whole family to colorado, so his epileptic son could get this tincture, and flies to GA, every week for work, when he could have used this, just in fear of losing his medical license there!

InvisibleUrbanFungi
Stranger
    #8492683 - 06/06/08 03:08 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Here ya go

Edited by UrbanFungi (06/06/08 03:09 PM)

OfflineKagenical
Stranger

Re: External thermostat inline [Re: UrbanFungi]
    #8495571 - 06/07/08 08:59 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

If you're good with a soldering iron, and have a thermometer, you can use this. The rheostat on it has no actual temperature settings written on it (so some calibration is in order), but assume the furthest right position is "30c" and each "section" to the left of it is (-5 * n) c.

http://www.apogeekits.com/thermostat.htm

It can do both NO and NC connections.

Edited by Kagenical (06/07/08 09:00 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: External thermostat inline (moved)
    #8495839 - 06/07/08 12:43 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

This thread was moved from Advanced Mycology.

Reason:
Quote:

temp gets 82 degrees to bring it back up to 86 degrees.

That\'s way too hot for any kind of mushrooms.  Keep your room at 80F and below.  Any line-voltage duct thermostat will work.  However, you\'re better off just using a small space heater if your room is too cold in the winter.  They all come with a built in thermostat that can easily maintain a room at 75F to 78F, which is where you want it for cubensis, and substract 5F or so if you\'re growing edibles.

I\'ll move this to cultivation, since it\'s not an advanced mycology topic.
RR

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Hydroponics Supplies, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation