Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Spawn a jar with primordia?
    #3818068 - 02/22/05 07:21 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Well, I have a jar of spawn with z strain culture which is that last of any z culture I have and I dont really want to lose it. I had a small amount of spawn left and I used it to try some grain to grain transfers on a dozen quarts. All of them became 90% colonized or more in a week and then a small spot of green showed up on all of them. I stuck the jars in a box to be disposed of and a week later or so I went back to dispose of them and I found one with no green spots. Well, not thinking, I stuck it into the fridge to spawn to a dozen or two more jars later. I knew I saw small spots on all of them and I thought I saw the spot where it was (like the size of a kernal of millet) and it was being taken over. So after being in the fridge, again not thinking, I pulled it out and put it back in the incubation closet to help it cover that spot some more before I used it.

Well the cold shock and the checking it every day and exposing it to light has caused it to start forming primordia. Its just barly starting but I see it, what shall I do? Will it still make ok spawn as is? Should I throw it b ack in the fridge to stop the pins (the spot that may have been green is completely white now) or just spawn it as soon as possible? Or maybe wait until the first flush is over then use it as spawn? I'm worried about it losing some of its vigor though, it has been through a transfer or two already..it is very strong though.

Yeah thats about it...BTW..not asking for responses having to do with the contam risks, I'm aware of them..that was just for background story..Im just unsure of the primordia causing problems when I use the jar for grain to grain.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Spawn a jar with primordia? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3818096 - 02/22/05 07:27 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

The cat has used grain jars with primordia as spawn. He just picks out the pins. No problem.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Spawn a jar with primordia? [Re: dog]
    #3819171 - 02/22/05 10:42 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Thank the cat for me :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation