Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
IDM
    #3817953 - 02/22/05 07:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The whole name "Intelligent Dance Music" confuses me. Nevermind that it seems highly subjective to say a certain type of music is more "intelligent" than another. There's also the fact that most music I've heard people refer to as IDM(Aphex Twin, for example) sounds much more like chill-out music than something you'd dance to.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: IDM [Re: Silversoul]
    #3818082 - 02/22/05 07:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Never heard of being referred to as IDM. Sounds like another stupid, pointless name to me.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: IDM [Re: DNKYD]
    #3818147 - 02/22/05 07:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

boards of canada, govinda and the like

never understood the name...but i like it whatever it is...chilout type shit.

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

#3819195 - 02/22/05 10:45 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

the labelling as IDM simply sucks and most artists are also not confortable with being named like that.

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3819840 - 02/23/05 12:16 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

IDM was a label various journalists and self-absorbed fans gave the music. Warp Records put out the wildly popular Artificial Intelligence compilations and the intelligent part just stuck for whatever reason. One early label [that is still used by some] is Braindance.

The music was the opposite of the boring cliche beats of the rave scene. I can sympathize with the label, however, I do find it pretentious. I do not like the term, but I use it on occasion for lack of a better word.

I do like the line drawn between "IDM" and the cliche dance scene. There should be criticism.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
Re: IDM [Re: Vvellum]
    #3820050 - 02/23/05 12:43 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The name IDM has been around for a while... it kind of makes sense... its just techno music that doesn't really have a steady 4/4 beat that sounds like it was made by a monkey twisting a bunch of knobs. Think of it as POST-MODERN techno :wink:

I'll be doing an IDM show this friday on shroomery radio... including two tracks from shroomery membes... funny u bring this up.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
Re: IDM [Re: BrAiN]
    #3820564 - 02/23/05 02:24 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Braindance is a better term. Try physically dancing to windowlicker (non remix) and see how far you get. I dislike all other techno. It is repetitive and ingenuine. Aphex Twin (aka richard D James) is a soudn designer God. He does all sides of electronica, if you have only heard chill music from him, then you are listening to his ambient works or every other song from Druxgs. Plaid, boards of canada, squarepusher (kind of), and autechre are bands i would put in the braindancing genre.
It is just like people that dont "get" frank Zappa. If it isnt spoon fed to them with a 4/4 beat they dismiss it. There is intelligent music out there, music that takes a level of appreciation and knowledge to "get" it. You are constantly (i hope) progressing as a listener, where you figure out who inspired your current favorite band, and other bands like it. This "intelligent" music is also usually non-self-absorbed, by which i mean they dont sing about "I, You, Me, You, Us or We". It is easy to relate to that human emotion of lost love or how that girl makes you crazy, this is why the pop genre is on my list as the bottom feeders of music. I hate to sound musically pretentious, but I cant help it. Go listen to any Linkin Park song and cout how many times it uses the words i mentioned above. In one song i counted 80 and gave up because it was still going.

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: IDM [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3821811 - 02/23/05 01:04 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i agree that IDM is probably one of the worst titles ever bestowed upon a type of music. personally i don't even use qualifying names..i just listen to what i like and ignore the rest.

if you watch the windowlicker video then you'll know that song can be danced to, if you know what i mean...heh. there's some of the most intense music i've ever heard on Drukqs..i'm still sifting through what i can find of the new afx vinyl. personally i think aphex twin is in a category of it's own right now, unless someone can show me something that can fit in with it...it's almost seems classicaly inspired or something, to be honest, it's that well thought out.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: IDM [Re: lackobreath]
    #3821829 - 02/23/05 01:09 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The amazing thing about him is that he has thousands of songs, only a portion are released. His sounds are so unique because he started creating his own synths from scratch at age 17 or so. Sadly he is under appreciated and only now is he getting some sort of fame and name for himself.
There are a bunch of bands i hated, and didnt understand why people thought they were so good, and i was steadfast in my discrimination. Most of the time, I was just listening to the wrong songs. I did this with Tom Waits, Pink Floyd and acid bath. People were showing me Adam Hartmother without showing me great gig in the sky. Pretty much if i respect a persons musical choices, i will now attempt to listen to everything before labelling them as shitty.

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#3821972 - 02/23/05 01:44 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yup - IDM is an incredibly stupid label that covers some incredibly good music. I'm listening to Autechre right now.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: IDM [Re: phi1618]
    #3822045 - 02/23/05 02:00 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I don't like the label, but I love the music.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: IDM [Re: lackobreath]
    #3822074 - 02/23/05 02:09 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

personally i think aphex twin is in a category of it's own right now, unless someone can show me something that can fit in with it...it's almost seems classicaly inspired or something, to be honest, it's that well thought out.

?-ziq
early black dog
boc
gescom
drexciya
coldcut
squarepusher

etc etc

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
    #3823399 - 02/23/05 06:53 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Now u-ziq is more like boards of canada than anything. Squarepusher sounded like an Aphex remix, i might be wrong on this one also, but he was part of squarepusher i thought. I cant speak for the rest of the bands, but excluding Brian Eno, Aphex was one of the pioneers of ambient. His sounds have never been replicated, nor has his sporadic rhythms. Bands like BoC and u-ziq are highly grounded in drumming rudiments, where as Aphex makes these amazing polyrhythms and breaks all the rules, but in an ingenious fashion, and with much elegance.

OfflineMetatrad

#3824239 - 02/23/05 09:48 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I love Aphex, Boards Of Canada, and especially Autechre.

Everything from Amber and TriRep onward is awesome.

If you brought it up to any artist mentioned here, they would dismiss the IDM label. That's how it is with all genre and sub-genre labels. Music journalists can't think of anything meaningful to write, so they use stupid labels and classifications.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3824726 - 02/23/05 11:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

?-ziq doesnt sound anything like boards of canada.

squarepusher is only one person: tom jenkins.
he has worked with aphex, but they really
sound different. the difference is jenkins use
of a bass guitar and the drum and bass
as well as funk and jazz influence.

aphex is a pinoneer, but in my opinion, he hasnt
done anything worthwhile since I care because you do
I guess drukqs was okay, but its not for me. he
really has broken away from loops and ambience in the last
8 years or so. 26 mixes and windowlicker
really turned me off.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #3824761 - 02/23/05 11:28 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

IDM is the perfect name for it (headphone listening is good too).

It is intellegent, it is dance music. Why not call it intellegent dance music. In my opinion, the genre is so far ahead of anyone who ever existed musically that calling it something like "The stuff thats better then anything you listen too and you are too dumb to understand" would be appropiate. The music that comes from guys like squarepusher is so far ahead of anything anyone has ever approached, that no term could be too arrogant to describe it.

I think one of the best experiences possible would be to take another person who is both sexually compatible and aware enough musically to be able to fuck to the IDM beat and just go at it to something like squarepushers Iambic 9 poetry in an ethnogenic state.

me likes IDM

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: IDM [Re: tomk]
    #3824885 - 02/23/05 11:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I think the music is wonderful and is far ahead of the boring dance beats of house, techno, dnb, and trance - but I wouldnt say the artists surpass coltrane or dylan or robert johnson or hendrix or mozart...

I would agree with a statement that they are ahead of the genre.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #3825097 - 02/24/05 12:24 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I would. Because it goes like this. Mozart and, say, Aphex Twin or Sqaurepusher, have the same amount of musical talent. Since technology allows easier development of music, aphex twin is better.

The formula is Talent X Technolgy X Creativity X Drugs available = Final produce so the IDM guys win (even if some classical guys were more creative, the IDM guys are motivated by better drugs and better technology, and with the same talent can to better things. Add to it that IDM guys could easily be as creative as the greats, and they win hands down for me). There are some exceptions for certain pieces (no one can compete with Tristan Und Isolde because it's so groundbreaking, say), but in general, IDM artists outdo classical ones to me.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: IDM [Re: tomk]
    #3825829 - 02/24/05 02:36 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Every band has in some way indirectly been influenced by every band preceeding it. This is how progression works. It is like modifying an previous invention to make it better or more advanced.

OfflineAKA PC
Every One
 User Gallery

#3825894 - 02/24/05 02:50 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

anyone know where to get some IDM tracks online? or anyone got anything like this of their own that they would like to share?

--------------------
-pc-

:peace:Trade List :peace:

:mushroom2:    :mushroom2:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media