Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTokagekobushi
Low RankingPsychonaut

Loc: Blitzed out of my skull
Getting started (my first time!)
    #3817570 - 02/22/05 03:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I made this post to get everyone's ideas on the best starter technique to use. I haven't cultivate anything before in my life, and I have a couple doubts about the sterility of the enviroment, so, what do you guys think I should do?

I was planning on using the PF Tek style cakes, dunking between flushes. I have my fruiting chamber, but its just a box as of now.

I've read through most of the FAQ's here, its just, there are several small details that im confused about.

If anyone wants to help me out, i'd greatly appreciate it!

--------------------
"Mans unfailing capacity to beleive what he prefers to be true, rather than what evidence proves to be likely and possible, has always astounded me. We longe for a caring universe that will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary, we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest doubts. God hasnt been proven not to exist, therefore, he must exist!"

"Einstein would turn over in his grave! Not only does God play dice, but the dice are loaded."

"Some would ask, Why would a perfect god create a universe that if filled with so much evil. They have missed a greater conumdrum. Why would a perfect god create a universe at all?"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
Re: Getting started (my first time!) [Re: Tokagekobushi]
    #3817595 - 02/22/05 03:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

it depends on how much start up cash and how much effort you want to invest in gathering materials. you can do it really cheap but dont expect many mushrooms. However you will get to see them grow. and you will get some. if you want to spend some money time gathering the stuff you need and most importantly spend some time infront of the computer researching what you need to do you can grow alot of mushrooms in a month to 6 weeks. its up to you on how devoted you want to be. Become informed. Learn what needs to be done and decide how you want to do it. then ask some questions. good luck!

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
Re: Getting started (my first time!) [Re: brewwhaha1]
    #3817647 - 02/22/05 03:55 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The PF tek is probably the best way to start but the only problems with that is there is a lot of places to get hung up on if you dont have the right tools of the trade. First thing is first, you need to be able to sterilize your tools and your substrates. so I guess in gathering all your supplies :
Step #1 have a way to sterilize things. (ie, Steamers, Pressure Cooker, etc...)
There are many more steps after that but at least your in the right direction.
Then read more, and asks lots of questions
GL

-Odd

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

OfflineTokagekobushi
Low RankingPsychonaut

Re: Getting started (my first time!) [Re: brewwhaha1]
    #3817668 - 02/22/05 03:59 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, I've spent some time in front of the computer!
Hehe, I read everything I could about it, but so I hear, experience is greater than knowledge.

I plan on cultivating the P.C. B+ strain.
I have mason jars that I plan to sterilize in a big pot of boiling water (can't affort a pressure cooker/canner) I have enouhg vermaculite to make like 30 cakes, same with brown rice (which I grind in a coffee grinder) When I birth my cakes into the fruiting chamber, I plan on setting them on a thin mat to prevent the bottom mushies from becomming too moist. The only thing is, what are the qualities of a good fruiting chamber? What gadgets should it have? (I know it should have a humidifyer if the vermaculite doesnt cut it, and I also plan on setting up a carbon air filter outside the fruiting chamber to prevent any airborne contaminants.) If (hopefully when) I get a flush in, and it grows to maturity, I plan on picking them all, saving the aborts in a seperate baggie, and dunking and rolling the buggers to help out with the size of the next flushes.
The only conerns I had with the sterility is my cats, they wander in time to time and the dander and the catbox that lies just outside of my room I think might caught a sterility problem.
I've read through a few of the preservation methods, but that i will worry about when i get to it. I have yet to get my syringe in the mail yet so... I want to make sure everything is good by the time it gets here.

Anything else monumental I should look for?

--------------------
"Mans unfailing capacity to beleive what he prefers to be true, rather than what evidence proves to be likely and possible, has always astounded me. We longe for a caring universe that will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary, we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest doubts. God hasnt been proven not to exist, therefore, he must exist!"

"Einstein would turn over in his grave! Not only does God play dice, but the dice are loaded."

"Some would ask, Why would a perfect god create a universe that if filled with so much evil. They have missed a greater conumdrum. Why would a perfect god create a universe at all?"

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
    #3817770 - 02/22/05 04:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like your off to a decent start. The cats wont bother your setup as long as they're not around you swinging their tails into your bins.lol I have cats so I consider this a reliable source. Anyway as far as the fruiting chamber goes. Your not going to generate much humidity using vermiculite. You need to have at least 2-3 inches of perlite with about 1 inch of water in it. or some geolite. You wont need a humidifier if you use one of those two. No carboard use a rubbermaid tub from walmart. As far as the carbon is concerned ...don't waste it carbon is for pulling organics out of fish water and such. plus its very expensive. Your gonna need a light, a fishtank light will work, then get a timer set it for 12 on and 12 off. Run some aquarium hose through the side of the bin caulk around the hole, and inside the tub connect a "bubble wand". Outside the tub on the aquarium hose splice the hose and add a film canister filled with filter floss inline. Wa LA a pretty damn good RELIABLE setup.
Confused? That was a quick run down and if you understand all that I said than you will probably do good. If not ask more Questions or research.

-Odd

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

OfflineTokagekobushi
Low RankingPsychonaut

#3817885 - 02/22/05 04:50 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I understood everything but one thing.
What is the bubble wand? is it like a soapstone rod connected to hose? (like the one I have in my aquarium to put O2 into the water)
I've never heard of someone using the film cannister filled with filter floss inline.
What does that do? Is it a form oa air purification?
Also, hehe I didnt write that down right. I do have a plastic tub, I wouldn't dare make a fruiting chamber out of cardboard, all the mudidity is bound to cause the cardboard to rot, and suround my precious little mushies with bacteria and such.

Thanks for your advice! I didnt stop to think about the light, I've read so much about it too, and its uses to help start pinning

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds