Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Scales, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Can I make bigger cakes like this in Tupperware?
    #3817252 - 02/22/05 04:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have been doing some experiments with new substrates to modify the brf tek and have started using some of the Gladware containers to make 'large scale' cakes. What I did was make a 6/3/3 proportion brf type mix like normal, but I put it in 2 half gallon mason jars. I also fill 2 quarts with dry verm. I then put all this in the PC for an hr. I then put all 4 jars, 4 gladware containers that have been wiped with alcohol, a wiped spoon, and some alcohol wipes all into my very large 'ghetto' glovebox. I have very good contamination % with all my half pint jars that I do in it, under 10%. So I figured it is a pretty clean environment. Then once the oust has settled in my box, I put about a 1/4in of sterile verm in gladware, then I fill to about 1/2 in from the top with the brf mix, level it out, top off with sterile verm until full, and put the lid on it securely. I then use all my materials and fill up my gladware containers. Once finished I clean the inside with the alcohol wipes as best I can, open and take out my jars trash, put in my container full of mycelium syringes, fresh alchohol wipes,16 bandaids and a heavy spraying of oust. After oust settles, I take out syringes and inoculate heavily in the corners using sort of a U motion around the corner to spread mycelium. Then I cover innoc holes with fresh bandaids. Once all containers are nocked up, glovebox can be opened fully and containers taken to incubator.

I am hoping that since the volume of substrate is greater than a half pint jar, that the yield will increase. I realize this is nothing compared to bulk growing, just a modification on brf tek. I was just wondering if anyone else does or has done this? Any decent success? I think it kind of fun to make different shape cakes hehe. I still do my half pint jars, just trying some new stuff. Once I figure out my new substrate that I like best, I will let you know. Although oatmeal and brf is working great so far, super airy substrate.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Can I make bigger cakes like this in Tupperware? [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #3817280 - 02/22/05 04:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It's not going to go very well jars bigger than half pint for BRF take forever to colonize, most will contam b4 they are finished.

Give up BRF and go to grains and bags if you want bulk.

Edited by kronnyQ (02/22/05 04:43 PM)

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: Can I make bigger cakes like this in Tupperware? [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3818120 - 02/22/05 07:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have grains and bags and am working toward that. But I plan to keep on doing cakes, cause I am having good results with them. I was hoping the sterile conditions and using liquid mycelium would colonize fast enough to avoid contams. My first ones are about 70% colonized at 14 days. I sually birth my cakes on day 14, but it looks to be done in a week and rdy to birth. I guess I will monitor the yields to see how it compares.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Scales, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation