Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethaitarheel
Stranger
Hunting in Cambodia and Southeast Asia
    #3816200 - 02/22/05 12:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Greetings to all,

I've been studying in Bangkok for over a month now in the faculty of communications. As a part of a 13-group documentary filmaking seminar, I'm filming my own doc on sepak takraw (a native SEA sport) and enjoying the scenery of this interesting country.

I'm an avid outdoorsman and plan to travel to Laos, Cambodia, and in the northern regions of Thailad in the months to come. I'm posting because I'm about to spend a weekend in Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) Cambodia, and I was wondering if it was worth the time to wander about for some mushrooms, around the temples. From what I've read so far, it seems the mushrooms can are only to be had after heavy rains... and in southeast asia rain is scarce during the dry season, early in the year.

I will make the effort to search for p. cubensis and the cambodian "cousin" and will post my results here. Was just wondering where to look and if it was worth looking, since many people know about angkor wat's reputation for mushrooms (or do they?).

Thanks for the comments and assistance in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Hunting in Cambodia and Southeast Asia [Re: thaitarheel]
    #3816300 - 02/22/05 12:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Check this link from Mj's site.
http://www.mushroomjohn.com/cam1999-1.htm

InvisibleSoularize
insubordinate and churlish
Male

Re: Hunting in Cambodia and Southeast Asia [Re: shroomydan]
    #3817110 - 02/22/05 03:59 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Angkor Wat is beautiful. I imagine that being on mushrooms and tripping at the temple would have to be a spiritual experience beyond what words can describe  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good luck in finding some specimens.

--------------------
The man in the black pajamas, Dude. Worthy fuckin' adversary.

Offlinethaitarheel
Stranger
Re: Hunting in Cambodia and Southeast Asia [Re: shroomydan]
    #3821162 - 02/23/05 09:21 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

MJshroomer's Cambodia page is nice, but it's really just a big slideshow of his vacation to Southeast Asia--unless I'm missing something.

I'm more concerned with the location, season availability and dosage of the Cambodian Cubensis strain.

Also, we will not have internet access in Cambodia at Xiem Reap, so this week I've been studying pictures, literature, and spore print descriptions and I believe I am prepare to make the decision, when the time comes, on whether or not we will eat the mushrooms we may find, if we find any at all.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3821374 - 02/23/05 11:03 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I do not know where your information came reggarding Internet in Cambodia. There are dozens of internet shops aas well as cafes in Xiem Riap, so you would have no problem with a computer and they are even cheaper than Thailand to use and much more updated than most Thai cafe internets.

As for slide show, You seemed to have hurried and missed the point of the Cambodian postrs. There are images of shrooms in those posts from Cambodia and there are habitats for picking shrooms. Those images are scripted with such things as habitat for shrooms at temples, etc.

And as for Cubes and Copes, they come up in manure from June through October into November during the monsoon rainy season.

At this time of the year it is doubtful that you would find any Copelandias and/or cubes at Angkor. I think you would be better off loking for cubes around the Capital instead of at Xiem Riap. And by the way, All of the grassy areas in te iamges posted at my cambodian segment of my site are places where I picked mushrooms at and if you had looked at all of the Cambodia images you would have seen some of the shrooms I collected there at Angkor Wat, Angkor bayon, Angkor Thom, Ta Proehm, Banteay Srei (Temple of the Women), Banteay Kdei. They grow where ever there is grassy areas and cattle or buffalo during the rainy season. Thew cattle roam freely and are routed from day to day to newer grazing locations.
Even the images of Angkor Wat from the Hot Air Ballon ride should be i an indication of where the cattle roam. There is a picture in the Cambodian photo essays of the grassy areas in from nt of the temple with cattle which also states this is a shroom habitat.

Oh yes, the temple of the women is about 30 kms from Angkor, cost extra for your motorcycle guide to take you there. Two years ago I picked fresh Psilocybe antioquensis, a species previoul sly known only from bolivia and Central america. A paper is currently in press at the International Journal of Medicinal mushrooms.

you should stay at the Jasmine Hotel.

Here is the URL. Tell them I sent you and they will give you a discount on your cost.

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/kunn1.htm

They are my friends.

I go to Angkor every year and pick shrooms for sporeprints. They know me well and Mr. van Kunn, the manager of the Jasmine can get you my personal guide who knows where I go to pick shrooms at Angkor and the surroubnding temples so that would help you on your journey there.

have a shroomy day.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (02/24/05 01:06 PM)

Offlinethaitarheel
Stranger
Re: Hunting in Cambodia and Southeast Asia [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3827166 - 02/24/05 01:38 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, thanks for the great info MJ... we're actually staying at the Apsara Palace Hotel, on Road 6 in Siem Reap.

I would like to get in touch with your contact nearby in Angkor Wat tomorrow, but I don't know what means of transportation we will have upon our arrival. I will attempt to get to the Jasmie and contact Mr. Van Kunn if possible during the next three days in Cambodia.

Perhaps you could send me an email with more info? joey@unc.edu

I figured there wouldn't be many specimins growing at this time of year in Southeast Asia, but I still think it's worth a shot to do some looking. I leave in only three hours from now, so if I don't receive notice from you, thanks for the help.

Off to ol' Angkor.

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Coast
    #3827513 - 02/24/05 03:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

have a blast

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3827852 - 02/24/05 04:27 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

sounds like you are in for an adventure!! have fun.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3831989 - 02/25/05 09:41 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The offer of the use of my guide from the Jasmine hotel for you for picking shrooms depends on if you stay at the Jasmine Hotel. Not from the Aspara hotel. Every hotel has their own interpreters and guides. So if you are staying at the Aspara, my friend Mr. van Kunn who owns the Jasmine would not offer you my guide to you if you are not staying at his hotel. Your hotel, The Aspara already has its own guides.

Sorry if this bothers you but that is how it is in Cambodia,.

You do not stay at one mans hotel and use guides belonging to another.

btw, I work with Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok. What school are you affilieated with?
mj

Still good luck on your quest..

Offlinethaitarheel
Stranger
    #3840509 - 02/27/05 10:34 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've just returned from my three day excursion in Siem Reap Cambodia, and although I have come back empty handed, I can still say the trip was an amazing experience.

I actually went in with very few expections for finding specimins since this is the Southeast Asia dry season, but we set out the first day at Angkor Wat silently hoping we'd find a secret grove of Cambodian goodies. The place was bone dry. We even searched along the lakesides and klongs (large canals) where the ground was moist but still came up empty handed.

The second two days were like the first, but we really spent more time enjoying the scenery of the location rather than hunting. We visited a huge number of temples and parks, including a spot said to have been used for the movie Tomb Raider? Who knows. The temples were immaculate. Most of them dated back atleast 900 years and many were heavily ruined during times of civil war and occupation of the Khmer Rouge. I recommend Cambodia to anyone interested in anthropology, archeology, history or architecture.

Warning: Cambodia is extremely hot, humid, and devastatingly poor. You will be mobbed by adorable kids selling scarves, guidebooks, bracelets and other interesting 'junk'... The local currency (rial) is in constant decline it seems, as $1.00 USD = 4,000 rial = bt40 (Thai baht).

We met Mr. Van Khun, Mr. Saruth and Mr. Yinn, all great guys who we spoke with at length. We ended up having drinks with Mr. Saruth and Yinn and I believe the former is MJ's old guide on his mushroom excursions. He offered us to go shroom hunting the next day, but we decided that this time of year was just not the right time to look, plus we had to adhere to a strict schedule with the rest of our group. Nevertheless, we returned to the Jasmine last night to do a few favors for Mr. Van Kunh (advertising in Bangkok for the hostel) and chatted with him and his lovely wife.

I hope to return for a short time in April to grab some mushrooms, but that will ultimately depend on time and money.

Thanks to John Allen and good luck all.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification