Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
HELP!
    #3815939 - 02/22/05 09:52 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Right, here's the problem. If I go into BIOS, advanced BIOS features and try to change the boot priority my PC just starts spontaneously rebooting before the windows xp splash screen even comes up. The only way I can cure this is to take out the CMOS battery and stick it back in again so I get a "CMOS checksum error" and it loads the defaults again.

I really need to get it to boot from CD. Any ideas? It even does this when theres no harddrives in there..

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
Re: HELP! [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #3816823 - 02/22/05 02:36 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Is there an update available? I'm not sure other than that.

You probably have a jumper to reset the cmos on your board, and that would be a better way to get defaults back when you need to.

OfflineElahrairah
new-growth
Re: HELP! [Re: MarioNett]
    #3816906 - 02/22/05 03:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"If I go into BIOS, advanced BIOS features and try to change the boot priority my PC just starts spontaneously rebooting before the windows xp splash screen even comes up."

This doesnt make sense. What did you change the boot priority from and to? what do you see on screen before it restarts? does ti flicker the xp boot screen or flicker blue?

Try turning off "quiet boot" and "fast boot" and even underclocking if your board has the setting to. (change the FSB to the lowest setting, this will slow the computer down and give you a chance to see what it is really doing)

IF XP is corrupted in a certain way, it can reboot the computer as it starts to boot itself, but you said this happens when no drives are attached? what are you trying to do?

--------------------
All instances of FOAF in this post have been replaced by I and My for clarity of reading. No relation to the poster is meant or implied.

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
Re: HELP! [Re: Elahrairah]
    #3817360 - 02/22/05 04:58 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Elahrairah said:This doesnt make sense. What did you change the boot priority from and to?

I simply changed the BIOS to boot from CD

Quote:

Elahrairah said:what do you see on screen before it restarts? does ti flicker the xp boot screen or flicker blue?

It doesn't get as far as the boot screen. It just starts detecting the hardware then reboots. Even if I change the boot priority to what it previously was it does the same until I reset the CMOS!

Quote:

Elahrairah said:Try turning off "quiet boot" and "fast boot" and even underclocking if your board has the setting to. (change the FSB to the lowest setting, this will slow the computer down and give you a chance to see what it is really doing)

I don't have any of those options!

Quote:

Elahrairah said:IF XP is corrupted in a certain way, it can reboot the computer as it starts to boot itself, but you said this happens when no drives are attached? what are you trying to do?

I had a feeling it was nothing to do with XP so I disconnected both hard drives and the same problem occured. I then inserted a LIVE Linux CD into the drive, reset the CMOS and it booted into Linux from the CD.

It also states in my BIOS that I have a LS120 drive. I googled LS120 and apparently it's a SuperDisk drive that supports a special floppy diskette which can store up to 120MB! I've never even heard of these drives never mind owned one!!!

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineElahrairah
new-growth
Re: HELP! [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #3819571 - 02/22/05 11:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

can you make it boot to a floppy? if so, run this www.memtest86.com please and let us know if it passes.

something more serious could be wrong with your computer if it wont boot to a floppy at all.

--------------------
All instances of FOAF in this post have been replaced by I and My for clarity of reading. No relation to the poster is meant or implied.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: HELP! [Re: Elahrairah]
    #3820919 - 02/23/05 05:10 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I would definitely recommend a BIOS update.

Also unless your computer is old, you don't need to take out battery to reset CMOS, you can just hold down insert key before bootup to load default BIOS settings.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology