Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
mankind's exoskeleton
    #3815801 - 02/22/05 06:22 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Although many people see our technology as an abberation of nature, it seems to me and plenty of others that it is completely natural.

I feel as though humanity is only just being created, and that as we discover our epigenetic potential we are also discovering our wider selves as a social organism.

We are building a kind of species 'exoskeleton' (for want of a better word) made of technology. Not only that we are building a species wide nervous system that we all act as neurons in being a part of. Watching the www for the latest signals from other neurons firing into the epigenetic brain and reacting to the output signal our end as we might in our part.

What do you think? :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: mankind's exoskeleton [Re: CJay]
    #3815808 - 02/22/05 06:26 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yes.

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: mankind's exoskeleton [Re: Gomp]
    #3816096 - 02/22/05 09:32 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I was thinking of something along these lines tonight at work. I am frequently running a walker stacker, which is basically a small forklift, but you move it around by a handle (instead of actually sitting on the forklift). Its perfect for receiving/backroom area applications, of course. :wink:

Anyways, I bring a Zen-like aspect into it when I am using it, and I have a very refined sense of feel for it (whereas a lot of people don't like using it because they are afraid they will crash into shit :lol:). I use it to build more understanding of the principles of motion and force, awareness, etc.... Someone tonight said "That thing has really become a third hand for you, hasn't it?"

"Third hand" really got me thinking. :grin: Technology is an extension of our bodies and our minds. It isn't really a new thought, but it is amazing to consider it. I'm straining myself to think of more to say on this, but nothing is coming into being.... so this is it. :smirk:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: mankind's exoskeleton [Re: fireworks_god]
    #3816420 - 02/22/05 10:54 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

like a coral reef
we are human reefers?
homo-reefus

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: mankind's exoskeleton [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3816442 - 02/22/05 10:59 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

'we are human refeers'

i wonder what cheech and chong would say about that.  :grin: :stoned:

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3816456 - 02/22/05 11:03 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I dig it.

Mankind is part of nature... therefore anything we do is natural.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #3817459 - 02/22/05 03:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It is not natural in the sense that it has come about by accident, like we have. It was created willfully, with a purpose in mind.
It IS natural in the sense that is made up of materials found in nature, and they are an extension of us as natural creatures.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: mankind's exoskeleton [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3817611 - 02/22/05 03:49 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

acidents are natural and part of nature
and cheech and chong too!

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: mankind's exoskeleton [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3817615 - 02/22/05 03:50 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

come about by accident, like we have.

have we?

...and maybe the term 'exoskeleton' might be replaced by the idea of cyborg... for me, anyways, it works a bit better

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3818951 - 02/22/05 07:52 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

CJay said:
We are building a kind of species 'exoskeleton' (for want of a better word) made of technology. Not only that we are building a species wide nervous system that we all act as neurons in being a part of. Watching the www for the latest signals from other neurons firing into the epigenetic brain and reacting to the output signal our end as we might in our part.

What do you think? :sun:

An intersting comparison indeed. We have replaced tooth and claw with technology to survive, and we are evolving rapidly. As to what exactly we're evolving into I'm altogether unsure....

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: mankind's exoskeleton [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3821250 - 02/23/05 08:04 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yes - cyborg existence.

Maybe we aren't humans at all....maybe we are cyborgs. Or perhaps better put, humans are a type of cyborg.

Wow - the mind boggles as we grow (into) our technological reef

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
    #3821910 - 02/23/05 11:28 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I've thought of the same thing, but like this:

Our self-aware consciousness is a result of the structures and functions of our physical bodies, which are in turn a result of the natural patterns and relationships of atoms and molecules, which are a result of God (what I think of as relationship patterns).

We are order coming out of chaos. It runs in cycles.

When a self aware being takes something that is chaotic and puts it in order it is a godly expression of order from chaos. It is completely natural, or else it couldn't happen at all!

I was tripping once, and I was looking at a laptop and I realized that what this laptop really was, was a manifestation of human thought which resulted in the ordering of physical matter. MIND OVER MATTER! We can organize matter however we want and make it do anything if we just think about it hard enough!

The first order from chaos (organic life) lead to the replication of organic matter (more order). I think that humanities possible goal could be to recreate an ordered structure that supports self awareness. Not artificial intellegence, REAL intellegence. We have a certain degree of control over our bodies with modern medicine, but we can't restructure them. If we could built intellegent machines, they would be able to design their own bodies and adapt to any environment. These machines could survive in space, colonize other planets, and search for God long after we become extinct. Perhaps they would figure out a way to create consciousness without physical matter. We could become beings of light through our machines and life forever as one with God, without the pain and suffering of physical existance!

That's how I like to think of it anyways...

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Re: mankind's exoskeleton [Re: dr0mni]
    #3821954 - 02/23/05 11:38 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

We can organize matter however we want and make it do anything if we just think about it hard enough!

of course, we also have to physically assemble raw materials, with our hands or what have you

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Re: mankind's exoskeleton [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3822740 - 02/23/05 02:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

our hands are neccessary only in the first steps of creating technology. Next we make tools that make tools. We can't turn a screw with our hands alone, we need a screwdriver. Also, a hand without a mind behind it is useless. We already have automated assembly lines with robotic screwdriver arms. The people are only there to make sure the machines are working right (maintaining order through thought).

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3823242 - 02/23/05 04:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

right, I thought of that as I made that post, only I couldn't think of any graceful way to put it. thanks for doing it for me

OfflineCaptainJailew
Apathetic and Idon't care

Loc: Central Texas
Re: mankind's exoskeleton [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3823587 - 02/23/05 05:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I think you share thoughts with a relatively large group of people called Post-Humanists. Post-humanism just posits that the traditional human form has worn out its welcome and it is time to usher in an era replete with technological innovations and extensions of the human form.

If you get the chance you should try to watch The Matrix trilogy with the Philosopher's Audio Commentary on (Dr. Cornell West and Ken Wilber are Professors of philosophy and religion at Princeton and a critically aclaimed author respectively) throughout the movie they talk a lot about post and trans-humanism and what it means to be human. Very interesting indeed - here is more info on post-humanism-

http://mars.superlink.net/~neptune/Posthuman.html

--------------------
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: mankind's exoskeleton [Re: CaptainJailew]
    #3826354 - 02/24/05 06:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

humanities possible goal could be to recreate an ordered structure that supports self awareness. Not artificial intellegence, REAL intellegence.

To be honest I never got the 'artificial' bit on artificial intellingence.

Intelligence is surely Intellligence.

Perhaps it's just a way of distinguishing, or perhaps it's similar to the way thsome feel our technology is 'unnatural'.

To me it all sounds good. Intelligent even.

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

#3826879 - 02/24/05 10:27 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well the first type of AI was simply reactionary. If X happens, the equation f(x) calculates a result, Y. If a machine bumps into a wall, the sensor tells it "X", the equation goes through, and the machine backs up and turns into a different direction (Y). This is Artificial intelligence. The machine doesn't know what a wall is or why it doesn't want to bump into it, it just knows that certain input creates certain output.

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

#3826890 - 02/24/05 10:30 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, half of this shit I thought about while tripping and thinking about the matrix/laptops/human survival/2001: A Space Odessy/ and 311 lyrics! LOL!

The connection is very clear to me between them, I don't know about you guys...

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

#3827278 - 02/24/05 12:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Well the first type of AI was simply reactionary

Thanks for the insight

What you describe reminds me of a human child though....which is a lifeform surely still considered intelligent. I mean a toddler knows not what a wall is, or anything. It walks about bumping into things, reacting, putting anything it can into its mouth to see what it is/does - reacting again. Much like you describe, but with more faculties.

But it learns I suppose....are machines not beginning to learn? I mean cutting edge AI? (I don't know much about where the current frontier is).

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order