Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

Life in Different Times
    #3814527 - 02/22/05 01:10 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I was just thinking about how the future may or may not be, what advances we may achieve and one of the things I really want to get to experience would be going out into space and exploring the realms of the unknown. However, I don't know if this is something that I may ever get to experience. Thinking about this, I came across the perdicament of, what would you rather live like, a king in the ancient past or a peasant in the distant future? I was thinking about this and I think it can have many aspects of benefit for either side. I honestly don't know what I would choose, I am leaning towards the future, but then again I can imagine how enjoyable of a life it would be in the past. I think both aspects have many benefits, not to say that one can't be happy as a peasant, but the life would be different. Also who's to say that the lesser status life in the future would be any worse considering all the wealth of knowledge and advancements one could have. Then again on the social ladder you are all the way at the bottom. I dunno I still am undecided, but which do you think you would rather be. Given if you were a person in the past, you wouldn't know what you were missing if you chose the future and vice versa. Well, you might have an idea on how one lived in the past, however you wouldn't know what it was like to be that person. Also, if you have a specific time in your mind please do elaborate I think it would be interesting to hear about it. This is no way also a put down on our current age, merely a choice of two options.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: Life in Different Times [Re: relativexistance]
    #3816124 - 02/22/05 11:42 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If I was a king in the past, I wouldn't give that up to be a peasant... even if it was in the future. But a future peasant would long to be wealthy AND would still want to know what life in the future would be like.

In both scenarios, there would still be longing to know what the future holds. So I would rather live like a king than a peasant.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Life in Different Times [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3816921 - 02/22/05 03:08 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

within 20-25 years space tourism will be reasonably affordable.  Try to hang around till then :wink: Peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3817167 - 02/22/05 04:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Peasant in the future...providing peasants have computers, cars, and telivision sets or the future equivalent.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #3817738 - 02/22/05 06:15 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hypothetically, I'd rather be the peasant, because I'd be living off my subordinates if I were a king in the past. That is, assuming there will still be peasants in the future.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

InvisibleLe_Canard
Doesn't need no stinkin' badge.

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3818969 - 02/22/05 09:57 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

relativexistance said:
what would you rather live like, a king in the ancient past or a peasant in the distant future?

I'd take the former, I believe. Better to rule in hell and all that....

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Loc: georgia
Re: Life in Different Times *DELETED* [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3820768 - 02/23/05 03:19 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by wishcouldeletethis

Reason for deletion: k

Invisiblepupil
( ?)

Loc: in prism
Re: Life in Different Times [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #3820821 - 02/23/05 03:44 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i've always been pretty poor myself (relative to others in the suburban area that i live), but i've thought about how my life in this industrialized country- the U.S., at this time in history, is alot more priviledged than the kings of the olden days. evan in my income tax bracket i can eat sumptuously and live comfortably, and i have the opportunity to make a fortune and be a king in my own right here in the present.

i think it'd be frustrating to go back in time and have to deal with everybody's ignorance; but then again, it might be fun to introduce them to all kinds of crazy modern ideas and see their reaction (and since i'd be king they can't burn me at the stake for it).

all and all, i think i'd prefer the future, so long as the earth isn't in too bad a shape by that time.

--------------------

InvisibleMystikMushroom
I RULE YOU!
Re: Life in Different Times [Re: pupil]
    #3820887 - 02/23/05 04:32 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'd be a nobody in the past. I'd grow my own food, and all the marijauna, shrooms, poppys, cocoa plants, and cacti I wanted. I would travel and roam around the world with my ethogens, experiancing the wonders of the anchient world. I would be a student, teacher, and simple farmer. That's the life I would love...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology