Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineadam0421
Stranger

Water Content
    #3812886 - 02/21/05 08:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well I think I messed up the water content in some of my jars.  they are Qt jars with wbs, all spawned via g2g.  its been about 3 weeks since they were spawned.  out of 29 jars,  I have had 9 completely colonize and have already been spawned to straw.  2 of my jars never ever got going, no growth at all.  and the rest got to about 50% colonization after about a week, nothing has happened since then.  when I look in the jars some of them have a pool of water up to a quarter inch high on the bottom. they are kept in a TIT with a constant 78-82 degrees.  my question is, can I use just the colonized part of the jars to spawn to straw and throw the rest out, or should I just give them another week and see if anything happens, and if nothing does just throw out all the 50% jars that show no more signs of growth?  there is no sign of contams in any of the jars. Maybe I'm just being impatient but the water on the bottom of the jars is worrying me.  Also the way that it was prepared.  soaked over night in water. removed all the sunflower seeds then drained for 30 min and rinsed off, then simmered for 25 minutes, rinsed off and drained for 45 min.  then PC'ed for 1 hr 15 min. let cool over night and did a g2g transfer.  I can post some pics later on if needed, my girlfriend has got the digi cam with her right now. Thanx for any help and suggestions  :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"You know what cheers me up when I'm feeling shitty? Rolled up Aces over kings. Check-Raising stupid tourists and taking huge pots off them. Stacks and towers of checks I cant even see over. Playing all-night High limit hold'em at the Taj, 'Where the sand turns to gold."
-Edward Norton from the movie rounders

"You can't bluff someone who isn't paying attention"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Water Content [Re: adam0421]
    #3812999 - 02/21/05 08:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

About those jars with water pooling in the bottom; if they are not contaminated yet, odds are they soon will be. Bacteria love excess moisture.

I've used partially colonized jars to perform g2g transfers. My contamination rate went up but enough survived to make it worhwhile. Remove the uncolonized portions first as you said.

You may have better luck if you do not simmer your next batch of WBS. A good soaking is all that is required. Simmering can result in too much water (as you found out). It is also unneccesary to remove the sunflower seeds.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlineadam0421
Stranger

Re: Water Content [Re: dog]
    #3813094 - 02/21/05 09:16 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

thanx for the suggestion of not simmering next time, I will give it a try. I'm gonna try to go ahead and spawn some of them too straw even with the higher chance of contaming, because straw and bird seed are defenitely cheap. I'll just have to keep an eye on the casing. I also have one other fully colonized jar that I was saving just for some more g2g. How many jars can u knock up using just 1 qt of colonized WBS? I think that may have been a little problem with this batch as I used 1 Qt for all 29 jars, was that too many jars?

--------------------
"You know what cheers me up when I'm feeling shitty? Rolled up Aces over kings. Check-Raising stupid tourists and taking huge pots off them. Stacks and towers of checks I cant even see over. Playing all-night High limit hold'em at the Taj, 'Where the sand turns to gold."
-Edward Norton from the movie rounders

"You can't bluff someone who isn't paying attention"

Invisibledog
straw dog

#3813127 - 02/21/05 09:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I use about a tablespoon of spawn per jar. I'm not sure how many tablespoons are in a quart but I'm guessing it's well more than 29. You should be fine. After you add the spawn to the fresh jar be sure to shake the hell out of it.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3813134 - 02/21/05 09:24 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hey Dog. Sunflower seeds are empty nutes. They're basically just a waste of space, If they weren't then people would buy the cardinal feed, it's a bit cheaper and Only has sunflower seeds, It'll colonize but won't fruit. Just some fyi, i'd hate to see this kid pass on misinfo. ....Gl Adam.

-Gnostic

Invisibledog
straw dog

Re: Water Content [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3813163 - 02/21/05 09:29 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hey IGnosticAbhorI, with all due respect, ya don't know what you're talking about.  :tongue: I never tried fruiting from straight sunflower seed, but that was not the issue. I said it was uncessary to remove the sunflower seeds from WBS and I stand by that assertion.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Water Content [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3813277 - 02/21/05 09:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
Hey Dog. Sunflower seeds are empty nutes. They're basically just a waste of space, If they weren't then people would buy the cardinal feed, it's a bit cheaper and Only has sunflower seeds, It'll colonize but won't fruit. Just some fyi, i'd hate to see this kid pass on misinfo. ....Gl Adam.

-Gnostic

damnit... you're gonna make me do it again, this time for pictures

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation