Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Sterilize and Wild Grow questions
    #3812408 - 02/21/05 07:05 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Two questions here on unrelated topics. I've searched the posts on both and came up with little data. If it is there, my apologies for a faulty search

First - I've read numerous times that people aren't advised to eat mushrooms growing in a substrate with unwanted pathogens. The logic being that the mushrooms absorb or take in the nutrients from the contaminations.
There are a few things I don't quite understand about this and would like clarified. If mushrooms are similiar to plants, as in the way they absorb nutrients from the soil, its not an arbitrary system. There is a selectively permiable barrier to previent just such a thing from happening. If mushrooms did absorb the secretions of mold and bacteria then wouldn't eating mushrooms from cow dung prove equally poisonous, for I'm sure there is a wealth of pathogens present? The forrest floors aren't exactly sterile either. I do understand that eating mushrooms with said contaminations on the mushrooms itself is bad but this is not what I'm refering to.

Second - What would be a good way to sterilize humid air coming into the chamber? I was thinking of getting a balist with a germicidal bulb inside. Then snaking a clear hose under the bulb ( all which is outside the chamber). The humid air from the Ultra Sonic and Cool mist would run under the light several times and possibly be cleansed? Make sense? H202 are in both humidifiers but contams still become present. This would at least eliminate one variable. I'm not sure if running the hose through a hepa would be useful due to the high moister content - migh clog up with water.

Thanks for any input on either topic. Take care.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Sterilize and Wild Grow questions [Re: CoolDrMoney]
    #3812484 - 02/21/05 07:15 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Your first topic has been a debated issue for some time, at least as long as I have been frequenting the Shroomery. Some people insist that fruits harvested from a contaminated substrate possibly contain toxins, others insist that they are safe.

I don't have an answer but personally, the mere possibilty of projectile vomiting during a level 4 experience is enough to keep me from experimenting with contams. It's too easy to just grow more mushrooms.

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Loc: MycVille
- [Re: dog]
    #3812540 - 02/21/05 07:24 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

"I put Lamborghini doors on that Es-co-lade
Low pro so low look like I'm riding on blades" - 50 Cent

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation