Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
What does oneness mean?
    #3807925 - 02/20/05 06:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Plenty of people here, including myself, have declared that we are all one. But what does this mean? For me, it means many things, in terms of both science and spirituality. Biologically speaking, all living creatures share a majority of their DNA, and thus all life is more similar than it is different. In terms of physics, assuming the Big Bang Theory to be true, then the universe all originated from singularity, and all matter contains that singularity within it. My own psychedelic experiences and speculation have led me to believe that all consciousness is also derived from a singularity, and contains the whole within each part. I would say that this holographic model--the whole within each part--holds true for pretty much everything, both material and nonmaterial(which may in fact be a false distinction). Thus, if there is a "god"(whatever that means to you), then we all have god within us. The Hindus recognize this in their greeting, "namaste," meaning "I recognize the divine within you."

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: What does oneness mean? [Re: Silversoul]
    #3807948 - 02/20/05 06:07 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I like to look at it like a Man o' War (not the band). It is a colony organism. Many different "peices" of it form the whole, and at the beginning, there was this single entity which fractured into billions of souls, which are all attached in some way and function to still maintain that previous entity, but as a colony.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3808001 - 02/20/05 06:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Fireworks and I had a convo brushing on this subject and here is what I said:

One example comes to mind, pertinent to the illusion of us being some entities housed in a bag of skin and bones.
People are convinced that their body's skin is the wall of their fortress that "seperates" them from the "other", despite that our skin is a living organism with millions of pores breathing air.

They may reason 'I can't live without my body, therefore this body supports my life and is part of "who i am".' and take no heed to the fact that the same logic applies much, much further than that. If you take away the sun, we all die. Therefore the sun is a part of "us" as well. Take away all of the animals on earth, the ecosystem becomes ruined and we suffer, just as if we take away all our blood cells. Take away every single person in the world, it changes and has an affect on you as well.

That bird, child and woman across the street is just a part of "you" as your heart and lungs are a part of "you" as well. Yet, people still think that they are "inside" their bodies, neglecting the fact that there IS no real "inside", it is all outward or just "here".
The 'insides' of my head are all outside to you. The insides of yourself is all outward to me.
There IS no real seperation, except the imaginary line that our egos draw.

In self-realization, ie; to the self-realized [which is really selfLESS], there is no inclination to even go around the world saying "I am all of this."

There is just simply "all of this."

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: What does oneness mean? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3808028 - 02/20/05 06:28 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

A piece of sand stone is made of many grains of sand that are fused together.

Each grain is pure by it's own division from the rest, yet they all add up to one sand stone.

If you take away one grain, the stone is no longer the same stone

--------------------
Agent 727

Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Re: What does oneness mean? [Re: MAGnum]
    #3808703 - 02/20/05 09:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

you just dont re-member do you?..?.
.|.

--------------------
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are -Kurt Cobain

Hotter than the left sink handle.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3808792 - 02/20/05 10:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Like our bodies which die and become one with the earth, our souls become one with the one soul when we die. That's the most likely scenario IMO.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Edited by Learyfan (02/20/05 10:23 PM)

InvisibleThe_Green_Glow
i consume yasoul

Re: What does oneness mean? [Re: Learyfan]
    #3808902 - 02/20/05 10:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

spiritually speaking, we are all one. meaning we are all a part of the same holy spirit/god/source/energy, whatever yo uwant to define it as, but defining is where we get lost i think.

we are all connected becuase of being of the same spirit. all different souls, but of the same spirit.

--------------------
"are you goin to hell or heaven? did you walk with the sinners or pray with the reverend? tell the truth i did a little of both, but aint no tellin where im goin til my bodies a ghost." --Twiztid

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: What does oneness mean? [Re: The_Green_Glow]
    #3808989 - 02/20/05 10:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I believe it's the same soul and same spirit. We've just erased our memory of it so that we can play this game in the physical world. IMO, there is no difference between you or I. It's the exact same soul/spirit.

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3809237 - 02/20/05 11:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

We've just erased our memory of it so that we can play this game in the physical world.

but why? why do people believe this when apparently it changes nothing and is therefore totally irrelevant?

sorry, I don't mean to come across sounding so... however I sound. I don't disagree, necessarily, I just wonder what's the point? we are all one, yet we have all sort of willfully forgotten this so that we can amuse ourselves with suffering... wait! that makes no sense!
why bother?

explain?

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: What does oneness mean? [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3809258 - 02/21/05 12:05 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

IMO, soul/spirit is essentially consciousness, and thought and memory are functions of the brain, not the consciousness experiencing them.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3809286 - 02/21/05 12:12 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Like our bodies which die and become one with the earth, our souls become one with the one soul when we die. That's the most likely scenario IMO.

The most likely scenario is that which is; not that which you imagine.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3809333 - 02/21/05 12:32 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Zekebomb said:
We've just erased our memory of it so that we can play this game in the physical world.

but why? why do people believe this when apparently it changes nothing and is therefore totally irrelevant?

sorry, I don't mean to come across sounding so... however I sound. I don't disagree, necessarily, I just wonder what's the point? we are all one, yet we have all sort of willfully forgotten this so that we can amuse ourselves with suffering... wait! that makes no sense!
why bother?

explain?

Here's a way to consider it. So there is this one mind one heart just hanging out in sole consciousness, not really knowing what the fuck it was. It gets the idea to split itself up so it can see itself in a mirror. It raises it hand and so do the pieces. It says jump and all the pieces jump.

That was a start, it could see itself, but it wasn't really understand itself better through comparisons or contrast. How to get all of this individuated pieces of the same thing acting independently was the next problem to solve.

If it could make the individuation's believe they were separate from each other, that would be a start. They also had to become independent thinkers and feelers too. What else to do, but create a form they could inhabit rigged for them to forget and through the process of remembering who they are they would come out of it, independent thinkers.

Then, it could really begin to know itself through having others like it to relate to in opposition, and contrast and through experience.

That's the short of my understanding of what the fuss is all about.

And it's my understanding that the spirit remains one mind and heart of consciousness individuated and its the soul that contains the memory and consciousness of the individual as a separate facet and can experience a pseudo separation.

Just my current theory on it all, subject to change as more info and experience comes into play.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
Re: What does oneness mean? [Re: Swami]
    #3809650 - 02/21/05 02:33 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Swami said:

But we can only imagine what happens to our consciousness beyond death since none of us have ever died (at least I'm assuming that none of us here have died before). There are many unanswered questions in life, and there are probabilities even within the realm of the unknown.

In other words, if you're wondering what the 'most likely scenario' is after death, you might go through this thought process:

"Let's see, I have no empirical evidence to suggest there is no afterlife...

BUT I've spoken to a few people who solemnly affirm that they have had a 'near death expirience', i.e. have witnessed their own death from outside of their body and later returned to mortality,

Therefore, weighing the evidence for and against the reality of an afterlife, the evidence suggests that it is a more likely scenario that there is an afterlife."

If you consider then, that an afterlife is possible or even probable, then you could go on further to determine what type of existance 'the afterlife' is likely to be.

Now, if you can find fault with that reasoning I welcome your insight. :smile:

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: What does oneness mean? [Re: soulmotion]
    #3809734 - 02/21/05 03:27 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Spirit. :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineCrazyBusiness
Stranger thanyou think
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs.
    #3809753 - 02/21/05 03:44 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Lots of great responses.

In my mind this is an objective ideal and has not been achieved are two realities that come close to this concept.

Firstly, from observation and plenty of pondering I have reached a personal understanding of the human psyche. I believe that every person is driven by the same things, feels the same things, and can be calculated as such. With openness, thought, and a little study or research in some cases, the majority of one's variables can be figured out and they follow the same patterns as everyone else's. I'm tempted to go into the great lengths of this theory, but my point here is simply that I think everyone has the same set of personal variables in their "what drives me and where?" equation.

The other, and my favorite by some margin, is simply a feeling. Oneness in general in this sense is non-existant, but personally I think we can achieve it, whether through understanding, meditation, chemical stepping stones of whatever color, or whatever combination of those, and when you feel no conflict of interest with any part of your world, you're there. I also believe true focus is only possible upon achieving this oneness.

--------------------
...in my opinion

Life's too short, man.. Life's too short. Dont hate me, and I wont put space between us. Dont lie to me, and I wont dislike you. Keep an open mind, and I'll love you.

My advice of the week(do this, you'll like it): listen to Mahogany Rush.

Representing Beatiful British Columbian classic dank. Just think, Columbia for coke, British Columbia for buds. truth

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: What does oneness mean? [Re: CrazyBusiness]
    #3809881 - 02/21/05 06:52 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

it makes twoness seem ridiculously complicated

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: What does oneness mean? [Re: Swami]
    #3810231 - 02/21/05 09:28 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Swami said:

Swami, you're trying too hard to disagree with me here. I think you're saying the same thing I am basically.

Zeke: Yeah, it's messed up, but I think "God" is just playing with his toys and we're the toys.

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3810729 - 02/21/05 11:43 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Now, if you can find fault with that reasoning I welcome your insight.

ok will try

a 'near death expirience', i.e. have witnessed their own death from outside of their body and later returned to mortality,

ok, a while back mixomatosis (where ever he may be) started a thread about just this: it's a fallacy to say people who almost die, but don't, have experience of what death is like.

I almost went tree-planting once, but the day before I left I sprained the living shit outta my ankle. I suggest not asking me what treeplanting is like. because I don't know.

edit: stupid oops

Edited by Zekebomb (02/21/05 03:15 PM)

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
    #3810829 - 02/21/05 12:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well, the name 'near-death' doesn't infer that a person came close to the brink of death without dying, it actually means that they did in fact die, but afterward came back to life. In other words they nearly died-- perminently. So, using the tree planting analogy, if you had a 'near-tree planting expirience' applying the same definition as a 'near-death expirience', that would mean that you actually got to plant a tree or two, and came close to planting a whole orchard, but for whatever reason you were suddenly wisked back into your normal daily life (a non-tree-planting life).

BTW, I'm not suggesting that someone's testimony of their own 'near-death' expirience is proof of an afterlife, however, it must be considered as evidence.

And the offer still stands-- if you can find a miscalculation in this reasoning.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3811638 - 02/21/05 03:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

mmm, I dunno

they did in fact die, but afterward came back to life

then they didn't die, did they? I mean, sure, the electric beeping hospital machine might think they're dead, but were they in fact dead?

that would mean that you actually got to plant a tree or two, and came close to planting a whole orchard, but for whatever reason you were suddenly wisked back into your normal daily life

you're drawing a line, I think, but where? three trees? seven? sixty? four hundred? two or three trees isn't 'close' to a whole orchard.

how long must the hospital machine think you're dead for you to actually be dead? how many breaths must you miss taking before God pushes the big red button?

not suggesting that someone's testimony of their own 'near-death' expirience is proof of an afterlife, however, it must be considered as evidence.

must it? I think the question is a good one: yes it might be smart to consider someone's testimony as evidence, but the jury's still out. humble opinion, of course.

maybe the white tunnel is an artifact of consciousness, but still after death there's nothing, and when we truly die (as in, for the last time), we just lie there and rot. a heart-warming idea, I know.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom