Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Why do bad things happen to good people?
    #3806786 - 02/20/05 03:32 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

well im a firm believer in karma and hte like. but recent event in my life have led me to question things like this. I see really beutiful people get shit on all the time...and yet i see the assholes getting along nicely. Personally i try to pay attention of karma as much as i can...and yet i still get shit on...but i keep the faith that one day things will be ok.

As for my (ex)gf...shes a good one...just fucked up becasue of her life. I mean she grew up with an abusive mom that would physically and emotionally abuse her...wouldent feed her...ive herd stories of her eating grass she was so hungry. Shes had a very abusive boyfriend that would dry rape her in the ass when she was too fucked up to do anything about it. Shes also been raped on several occasions by several people. I mean wtf!!?? Noone deserves that kind of shit. Whats REALLY going on here?

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Vulture]
    #3806811 - 02/20/05 03:41 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I do not believe in karma, at least in the traditional sense. People who do bad things definitely end up having wonderful lives a lot of the time. I do not believe that there is a man in the sky keeping score on who deserves what.

I think what's going on is that we are all one spirit and that nothing is seen as "bad" on a cosmic level. The things that happened to your friend are HORRIBLE, but the people who did these things to your friend are also "God". How can "God" punish itself?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3806813 - 02/20/05 03:42 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

well im a firm believer in karma and hte like

Based on what?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3806819 - 02/20/05 03:44 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

How can anyone truly claim to be a good person? We are all responsible for the suffering of others, intentionally or not. Hence the first noble truth: Life is suffering. Life feeds on life, feeds on life, etc. It's a karmic trap.

--------------------

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Re: Why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Swami]
    #3806822 - 02/20/05 03:44 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

blind faith

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: Why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Silversoul]
    #3806829 - 02/20/05 03:48 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
How can anyone truly claim to be a good person? We are all responsible for the suffering of others, intentionally or not. Hence the first noble truth: Life is suffering. Life feeds on life, feeds on life, etc. It's a karmic trap.

If you're intentions are good, then you can call yourself a good person. You can't do anything about the people you cause to suffer unintentionally.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Learyfan]
    #3806835 - 02/20/05 03:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Some of the worst atrocities in history were committed with good intentions. I don't think intention is enough.

--------------------

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

#3806844 - 02/20/05 03:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i think intention is the only thing that really matters.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#3806857 - 02/20/05 03:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
Some of the worst atrocities in history were committed with good intentions. I don't think intention is enough.

Well, other than the fact that I eat meat, I think i'm a pretty good person. If you want to justify hating yourself, then that is your choice and I will support you in it.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#3806862 - 02/20/05 03:58 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Then I suppose it's ok to drive drunk and hit a pedestrian, as long as you didn't intend to, right?

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Learyfan]
    #3806869 - 02/20/05 03:59 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Quote:

Paradigm said:

Well, other than the fact that I eat meat, I think i'm a pretty good person. If you want to justify hating yourself, then that is your choice and I will support you in it.

One doesn't need to hate theirself in order to recognize the fact that they are responsible for the suffering of others.

--------------------

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

#3806895 - 02/20/05 04:04 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
Then I suppose it's ok to drive drunk and hit a pedestrian, as long as you didn't intend to, right?

in situations as this...you intended to drive drunk...obviosly not good intentions.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#3806935 - 02/20/05 04:13 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Dude, shit happens. If you hurt someone unintentionally, that sucks. But if you truely try to be a good person, despite what your existence on earth does to others, then I think you can call yourself a "good person".

But we're getting a little off track here.

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#3806968 - 02/20/05 04:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

They have a name for this kind of shit. It's called the Just World theory. I guess it's human nature to try and believe that the world is just and fair. It's not. Good people who do good deeds and lead a good life have bad things happen to them. Bad people who do bad deeds and lead a generally bad life get away with unspeakable actions. It's life. It sucks. It's unfair. Get over it.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3807092 - 02/20/05 04:54 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
Some of the worst atrocities in history were committed with good intentions.  I don't think intention is enough.

Perhaps in some cases of intention, it is a lapse of forseeing a shift of "over-balance"....  Weather it is truly "Evil" working, or it is coincodence, bad things can happen at ANY moment in ANY place....  Think about how dangerous life really is, and how strong the instincts to survive really are....

When you think about the ever dangerous act of just "driving a car" itself on the mass scale it is constantly happening, the percentage of accidents compaired to the actual people driving all the time is pretty low....    Considering that all the cars at one time could suddenly crash into each other, hurting and killing them all....  It hasn't happened like that yet....  If it did, I would say that "Evil" would have a big hand in it....  But since it hasn't....   

I however would blame "lack of good judgement" or even mechanical failure to be the cause of most....  They are called "Accidents", not "On Purposes"....

Quote:

Vulture said:
Quote:

Paradigm said:

in situations as this...you intended to drive drunk...obviosly not good intentions.

Yes, selfish intentions at work here....  Most people DO know that there is a true lack of judgement interjected into one from being drunk....  Some choose to waive the responsibility, and simply blame it on "being drunk"....  Both informed choices were made by the driver....  1)That he/she chose to get drunk, and that judgement was dilluted to the point of higher risk....  2)The choice to drive was made before the drinking began, and no safe options were entertained - out of selfishness....

So, if selfishness is an "Evil Force" in one's trait or choice, then you got your answer for "cause"....  But then how do you explain all of the drunk drivers that actually do beat the odds over and over again and make it home safely (prolly~ a higher percentage)....?  Would you equally blame the "Good Forces" to have made this selfishly intention filled person get home to see another day...?  Funny, I never hear that "blame" being tossed around....

Life can be suffering....  Sometimes it is out of self choice....  Good person or not....  Karma or not....  Coincodence or not....  Good or Evil, or not....  It is life....  Nothing is promised, nothing is "deserved"....    You have to take it for what it is, and roll with it's punches.... 

>^;;^<

:heart:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #3807375 - 02/20/05 05:54 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I think bad people always get theirs eventually, in one way or another, although it may not appear that way.

Look at George W. Bush: He's obviously a crooked, evil motherfucker, and yet he is the President. But still, none of us can really say we know what its like to be George W. Bush. For all we know, he could have terrible depression and anxiety. For all we know, Mrs. Bush is shitty in bed. For all we know, George Bush, despite being the most powerful motherfucker on the planet, could be in constant pain every day of his life. Have you seen how much that dude has aged since he took office? His job has obviously taken its toll. A Metallica lyric comes to mind:

"Time has taken its toll on you/
The lines that crack your face/
Famine, your body it has worn through/
Withered in every place/
Pestilence: For what you have to endure/
For what you have put others through/
Death, deliverence, for you for sure/
Now there's nothing you can do."

Look at these evil people you think are doing so well. Are they really doing well? Just because they have money and power doesn't mean they have inner peace and self-satisfaction.

Anyway, I've been in many situations where I was wronged and debated with myself whether I should dish out the payback or just let it go. Time after time, I find that when I just let things go, the people who fuck me get paid back eventually without me even lifting a fucking finger. And the whole time that bad shit is happening to them, I just get richer and happier. Good things happen to me for no reason. People confide in me because they know I don't fuck around. And I just sit there and laugh at the people who though they could fuck with me. Let them work their shitty jobs, getting no action, smokin shitty dope, bein broke. I'll just sit here and smoke my top flight with a fine girl on my lap and say: "Gee, thats too bad. Couldn't have happened to nicer people."

It's instant Karma baby. Of course that may have something to do with the fact that, as a good person, I generally focus on my own shit and doing what I need to do, rather than fucking with other people. I have found that people who base their lives around tearing others down end up with no friends, money, happines, or good health. Because they spend all their time doing negative things to other people instead of doing positive things for themselves. The evil acts themselves are the punishment. Live evil, face evil.

People can get away with being evil, but eventually they will be called out and punished, if not by life then by their own conscience.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3807378 - 02/20/05 05:55 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Because God don't give a fuck about your ego and individuality.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3807382 - 02/20/05 05:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

"Bad and Good, like Push and Pull; either way, something moves."
-Unknown :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineFrankieN
Stranger

#3807397 - 02/20/05 05:59 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You say you are a firm beleiver in karma, then you must beleive in previous lives, maybe bad things are happening to good people in this life because the did wrong in past lives, and isn't receiving negative karma in a way a good thing as long as you handle it well and transform it. Life is tough, bad things happen, but it's the only way for us to learn.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Why do bad things happen to good people? [Re: Gomp]
    #3807493 - 02/20/05 06:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Gomp said:
"Bad and Good, like Push and Pull; either way, something moves."
-Unknown :P

"To be moved, is (e)MOTION in motion...." 

-Unknown Phantom  :grin:

>^;;^<

:sun:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology