Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBardonic
Peace Warrior
 User Gallery

Loc: Manchester, UK
Any body from the UK know, remote, secluded, wilderness areas for tripping
    #3806153 - 02/20/05 10:45 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So summer is coming up and I really want to get out and camp and do some shrooms in the country.

I am wondering if there are any UK residents here that can advise on any places of natural beauty where I will be able top camp and not be disturbed?

I would most probably go on my own and just be with nature, walk around and then watch the stars at night.

I've always been reluctant to do this as after my last experience in a camp site on shrooms when I found I couldn't enjoy myself with any other people about. When in a tent you can hear every little sound from around you, and noises would keep distracting me, meaning it was only at about 1 or 2 a clock as every body went to sleep when I really started to have a great time. Before this there were voices and shouting from people having fun, which of course I have nothing against, it's me who needs to move!

I can not express in words how truly mind blowing and brimming with unfathomable beauty the stars were that night as I lay in my sleeping bag with my head peeping out of the tent. Good memories for the most part!

So ideally I would love to know of some kind of wilderness area where I can pitch a tent and not expect to encounter any other human being. I know that this may be a difficult criteria to fulfill.

To make things harder still, I cannot drive, so the destination would have to be accessible from some kind of public transport station. Although I don't mind walking long distances.

Hope you can help me out,

ps. no need to worry about me going away from any kind of medical help I know I can handle my self if left to my own devices.

--------------------
Join me in:
Anarcho Psychedelic Futuro Utopian Pacifism

A Powerful Spell to be Sure

Avatar: Nemo.org (wonderful artist)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshnakboozy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Any body from the UK know, remote, secluded, wilderness areas for tripping [Re: Bardonic]
    #3806583 - 02/20/05 02:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

people often think the UK is a crowded island with nothing but end to end towns, but that is far from the truth. freecamping is easy in the UK, facilitated by the most superb network of public footpaths and bridleways that get you away from the road and into the woods, commonlands, heathlands etc. best advice is just to buy/borrow a good ordnance survey map and look for a likely spot.

from manchester i would suggest the lake district, north wales or the peak district. though from a mushroom point of view i think somewhere familiar is a good idea, so i suggest you do a "sober" reccie visit first.

if u want to go somewhere where the right to freecamp is legally enshrined then go to scotland where recent legislation gives specific rights. try sandwood bay at the end of the road near cape wrath if u want somewhere truly magical. in fact i might join u if u wanna go there!

personally i love going to my fave spot near my house, and just take a sleeping bag (no tent) to sleep in a woodland clearing under the stars. beautiful.

good luck.

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: Any body from the UK know, remote, secluded, wilderness areas for tripping [Re: shnakboozy]
    #3808088 - 02/20/05 08:43 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

people often think the UK is a crowded island with nothing but end to end towns, but that is far from the truth

I thought that every single species of plant and tree ceased to exist in the UK, and that's how the Americas were "discovered."  :tongue2:

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlineshnakboozy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Any body from the UK know, remote, secluded, wilderness areas for tripping [Re: Society]
    #3809781 - 02/21/05 07:14 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I thought that every single species of plant and tree ceased to exist in the UK, and that's how the Americas were "discovered."  :tongue2:

lol! yeah, that's right. we used the last few trees to build the boat to sail over.  :laugh:

OfflineBardonic
Peace Warrior
 User Gallery

Re: Any body from the UK know, remote, secluded, wilderness areas for tripping [Re: shnakboozy]
    #3810796 - 02/21/05 02:00 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Cheers shnakboozy,

So that's the term for the outdoor experience I'm searching for: free camping.

The sober recce is a very good idea, I think that this will most definitely happen.

I have been wanting to go to Scotland, and now you have informed me it's legal to camp in some places it sounds like a good candidate. Seen as I'm unfamiliar with the country I will probably check out the place you mentioned sometime in the future.

There is a spot near my house which I love to visit, and have been there in the day on on the mushrooms. It is traversed by a public footpath, but I wander off on my own. One time though, after I had finished sitting in a clearing on the side of this hill and started to walk back to my house, I encountered some people, who obviously owned the field, and they told me to not stray from their path again. It's a good job I was almost baseline at this point.  I mentioned that I will not bring any harm to this land, and come and go in peace (yes I was still a little bit high!). They didn't seem to be convinced. I felt like giving them lecture on how nobody can really own any piece of land and  that it belongs to everybody, but I'm glad I didn't. Somehow I think I would not have been understood  :smile:

I will soon buy a map and have a gander at what kind of space I can find near me. Like you mentioned, the Lake district and wales are both beautiful places. Hopefully I can find a secluded, unspoilt little place.

--------------------
Join me in:

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Any body from the UK know, remote, secluded, wilderness areas for tripping [Re: Bardonic]
    #3810817 - 02/21/05 02:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I know there are apparently some large hills and other wilderness in the northern part of the island.

Enjoy the open spaces in the UK while you have them. I imagine a century from now it will be one giant metro area.

--------------------

Offlineshnakboozy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Any body from the UK know, remote, secluded, wilderness areas for tripping [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3811072 - 02/21/05 03:11 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

your local library will have copies of all the maps for you to borrow if u prefer.

also note that "the right to roam" in england is being introduced and luckily for you the north west (incl manchester i think) is one of the first areas covered. have a look at the ramblers website:
http://www.ramblers.org.uk/freedom/questions_answer.html

and then have a look at the definitive map for your area:
http://cms.countrysideaccess.gov.uk/static_pages/further_information/access_land_maps
with any luck your fave spot wil be included and the landowner can butt out next time u wander off the path! the right to roam does not give u the right to freecamp, however.

in scotland it's "the outdoor access code" which applies, brought into force by the "land reform act 2003". this is a POWERFUL piece of legislation which gives lots of specific access rights to land, even if it is owned by someone else. basically any land that is good for tripping/freecamping would be included - mountains, woodlands, really any and every uncultivated or un-built-on land. it specifically allows u to freecamp:
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp?nPageID=189&nSubContentID=0

this is sandwood bay:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=222440&y=965520&z=5&sv=225000 it's extremely beautiful and extremely remote though not (m)any trees! i'm not really suggesting that it is the best place in scotland for freecamping, but it's certainly in the top ten i think!
http://www.milngaviebearsdencc.org/McNab1/sanwoodbay_big.JPG

feel free to post again here or PM me if u wanna chat some more.

Edited by shnakboozy (02/21/05 03:23 PM)

OfflineBardonic
Peace Warrior
 User Gallery

#3821762 - 02/23/05 12:53 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Cheers man that's some excellent info!

Just going to read through the last two links you posted.

P.s I'm not adverse to your kind offer of coming with to the bay, we probably should get to know each other a bit better though.

--------------------
Join me in:

Edited by Bardonic (02/23/05 12:58 PM)

OfflinePaddyCuinne
Scottish
Male

Loc: Near Edinburgh
    #10169703 - 04/15/09 08:47 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

come to scotland.  all we've got is silent rivers and forests

--------------------
Heya Live In Scotland

Email me If you live in scotland too - south preferably

OfflineGrapefruit
Still Busy Going Mad
 User Gallery

Re: Any body from the UK know, remote, secluded, wilderness areas for tripping [Re: PaddyCuinne]
    #10169723 - 04/15/09 08:59 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Lake district is well crowded. North wales or the yorkshire moors is probably your best bet.

--------------------
"Some are born to sweet delight, others to the endless night."

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #10169803 - 04/15/09 09:46 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Google earth is your friend!

I'm down south and all we have are fields and forests.  Its really good for nature/hiking/camping down here.

Invisiblefilthee
DWWP
Male

Loc: australia
    #10169814 - 04/15/09 09:50 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

arent your summers around 12deg cel?

id freeze in that kinda heat tripping solo :lol:

pommies r funny,dont get me wrong we love you whinging cunts

OfflineGrapefruit
Still Busy Going Mad
 User Gallery

Re: Any body from the UK know, remote, secluded, wilderness areas for tripping [Re: filthee]
    #10169855 - 04/15/09 10:02 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

No it can go up to 30 usually it's just over 20-25 when it's sunny.

--------------------

Invisiblefilthee
DWWP
Male

Loc: australia
Re: Any body from the UK know, remote, secluded, wilderness areas for tripping [Re: Grapefruit]
    #10169890 - 04/15/09 10:16 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

i know man i was just trying to be funny

is the 30's in summer there just been hapening recently like in the last 10-20 yrs or has it always been like that?

i always thought the uk and europe around those parts always froze in winter and were chilly in summer like the air was always cold even though your feeling warm rays on ur skin

we climbed a mountain in shitty victoria once and even though it was sunny and thirty degrees in the sunspots where you could put your feet to warm up it was still like being in a freezer cause it was 6000ft up

if you came here during summer,youd find our summers unbearable,humid and 40 in the shade until you adjusted but some never do

it kills us

OfflineGrapefruit
Still Busy Going Mad
 User Gallery

Re: Any body from the UK know, remote, secluded, wilderness areas for tripping [Re: filthee]
    #10169894 - 04/15/09 10:20 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Yeh sounds too hot for me for sure. 30's doesn't happen often but i think it's a fairly recent thing. Even 30 is too hot for me.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub