Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
bulk rye grain vs straw. What's better?
    #3806039 - 02/20/05 08:47 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

What would be better. a foaf has ample access to rye grain and straw. what would be better sterilizing a large amount of rye grain and making a huge cake out of it. or spawning it to pasturized straw?
lets consider # of flushes possible, size and potentcy of the cubensis strain. temp and rh would be the same so its not a factor.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: bulk rye grain vs straw. What's better? [Re: brewwhaha1]
    #3806050 - 02/20/05 09:08 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

so why not do both?????

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: bulk rye grain vs straw. What's better? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3806054 - 02/20/05 09:13 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well, you're asking us to compare spawn to a bulk substrate. It's like asking "What would be better, WBS or horse poo?" They are used in conjunction.

Rye can be cased regularly, and it can be spawned to straw. If done right, the straw will give you better results.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: bulk rye grain vs straw. What's better? [Re: Holydiver]
    #3806064 - 02/20/05 09:22 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Not true, pound for pound rye give you more wieght. Poo and Straw will give more potent fruits though. The reason most people move to bulk to get more weight is that it is easier to pasteurize 20 lbs of horse manure than sterilize 20 lbs of rye. Or at least that is what my understanding of it is.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
    #3806069 - 02/20/05 09:29 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

could do both. but the incubator is the fruiting chamber and when doing side by side experiments to see what's better. One typically takes off better than the other. this requires letting one experimental grow sit idle waiting for the other one to catch up. Scientifically speaking this isn't ideal. So one experiment would have to be done after the other. My foaf is an impatient basterd and doesn't want to have to wait 12 weeks for the outcome of the two experiments to see the results.
AS for comparing spawn to a bulk substrate... think of using spawn as the bulk substrate. imagine a 1.5' X 2' x 8" tray of sterilized rye grain to the same size tray pasteurized straw.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #3806080 - 02/20/05 09:37 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Not true, pound for pound rye give you more wieght. Poo and Straw will give more potent fruits though. The reason most people move to bulk to get more weight is that it is easier to pasteurize 20 lbs of horse manure than sterilize 20 lbs of rye. Or at least that is what my understanding of it is.

Bleh, of course pound for pound it's better. Poo and straw will not give you more potent shrooms then cased straight grains on average, are you guessing or speaking from experience on this one?

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3806083 - 02/20/05 09:38 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The mushrooms i have grown off of poo did seem to be more potent to me....maybe this was more mental though. And for some reason i remember reading that few times also. I could be wrong though.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #3806088 - 02/20/05 09:40 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Fair enough, different results for different growers. Straight cased grains have always blown my doors off compared to straw/poo. Too many factors to really take into consideration though /shrug

--------------------

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

#3806176 - 02/20/05 11:12 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

lb for lb i find that straw/blood meal/bone meal make the most potant shrooms

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation