Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: A Totally Harmless Belief [Re: Swami]
    #3803932 - 02/19/05 04:36 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

hahaha, I knew you were going to come in with how its not a harmless belief and I beat ya too it! hell yeah a lot of harm comes from that one.

Non the less, life is about risk taking and risk assessment. A life without risks is a dead one.

Harm comes out of good and good can come out of harm. How does anyone separate the two? If you figure it out, let me know.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: A Totally Harmless Belief [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3805801 - 02/20/05 02:21 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

what's the difference between a truckload of bowling balls and a truckload of dead babies?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: A Totally Harmless Belief [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3806648 - 02/20/05 12:39 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You can't unload bowling balls with a pitchfork.

The difference betwen 10 dead babies and a Cadillac???

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: A Totally Harmless Belief [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3806656 - 02/20/05 12:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I don't have a Cadillac in my garage.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: A Totally Harmless Belief [Re: Swami]
    #3806768 - 02/20/05 01:25 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"What about the veterans of childhood?"
-Bill Maher

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: A Totally Harmless Belief [Re: Silversoul]
    #3807336 - 02/20/05 03:47 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
I don't have a Cadillac in my garage.

Sir, we are still going to have to check the trunk....   

:smirk:

>^;;^<

:sun:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: A Totally Harmless Belief [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3807435 - 02/20/05 04:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
You can't unload bowling balls with a pitchfork.

Wanna bet? :wink: he he

Quote:

The difference betwen 10 dead babies and a Cadillac???

You dont have a Cadillac in your garage? :eek:

:tongue2:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: A Totally Harmless Belief [Re: Gomp]
    #3808163 - 02/20/05 07:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

On the contrary, Swami.

To hold the belief you have stated can cause alot of harm because someone might hold the belief in a violent light and protect thier children violently. Then there are those who are paranoid and want to hurt before being hurt in the name of protection. Then there are also those who would go the extreme in protecting thier children and lock them in a room for thier whole lives. There are many scenarios that could involve harm against others or the children themselves.

"We must Love the children" is a much more harmless belief

--------------------
Agent 727

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: A Totally Harmless Belief [Re: MAGnum]
    #3808246 - 02/20/05 07:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MAGnum said:

"We must Love the children" is a much more harmless belief

What about the parents that hit their kids and then say they do it because they love them?

There is never a reason to hit a child other then that an adult has lost patience and control of themselves and in turn, harmed a child, in the name of love.

A harmless belief would be one like, I believe the color purple is pretty.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#3808283 - 02/20/05 07:32 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:

HeeeHeee, Barney is purple....  Harmless....?    :smirk:

(yes I know, he *could* be any color, but he isn't....)
(AND children do "believe" in him....  Kinda~ ironic huh....?)

>^;;^<

:grin:  :heart:

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: A Totally Harmless Belief [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3808434 - 02/20/05 08:07 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Barney kicks ass for kids! It's all about caring, sharing, please and thank you and taking turns.

What's your beef with Barney, for children anyway? I do understand why a lot of adults raised with Tom and Jerry and the Road Runner want him snuffed out of their family rooms.

Oh shit, no belief is sacredly harmless these days. I said believing that the color purple was pretty was a harmless one right? (I still think it is but some don't, read on)

Because it is a "pretty" color girls wear it and like it. Somewhere along the line it became a color for girls and flamboyant men. So the Teletubbies hits the scene, totally awesome for kids as well in my book, but some Christian radicals, think that because Tinky Winkie is a boy tubby and Purple and carries bag, he must be gay and encouraging boys to become gay. They thought a purple male tubby was harmful to their boys sexual orientation.

Since beliefs are subjective, I say there is no such thing as a universally harmless belief. They are all evil waiting to spawn in someones world.

So, maybe we should go into a planetary lock down of all beliefs after all just to be safe.    :shiftyeyes:

This reply belongs in the absurd post actually!

:tongue:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (02/20/05 08:10 PM)

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#3808529 - 02/20/05 08:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldn't call beating your kids love at all.  Because people conquer in the name of God and murder in Gods name, is it God who is conquerring?  If I believe that beating my kids is Love, I am simply believing a lie.  The two concepts of beating and love dont mix.

Violence and beatings are born of following a ritual born of hate.  Anger is "to feel things aren't the way you want them."  It is born out of concept of hate which is "to wish into inexsistance" because the way thing are isn't the way you want them.  Love is "to wish into exsistance."

Bottom line:  You cannot possible say you beat your kids out of love no matter what you beLIEve.    :smile:

--------------------
Agent 727

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: A Totally Harmless Belief [Re: MAGnum]
    #3808560 - 02/20/05 08:32 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I agree, but millions say it and believe it and its why I say the harmless belief you proposed about "we should love the children" can be harmful if people believe loving your children means smacking them around to show you care.

Can anyone here come up with a universally harmless beleif?

Swamis thing is to keep people from harmful beliefs. I say any belief can be seen to cause harm or actually cause it.

So what do we do, banish ALL beliefs to keep everyone safe? I say, life is a risk and its all about risk assessment. Living without beliefs is the same as being dead so what does one have to loose?

Hey swami, isn't believing that some beliefs are harmful a harmful belief itself? Whats going on here?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (02/20/05 08:35 PM)

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

A Totally Harmless Belief - Barney Vs. Parental Attention.... [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3809126 - 02/20/05 11:26 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
Barney kicks ass for kids! It's all about caring, sharing, please and thank you and taking turns.

What's your beef with Barney, for children anyway? I do understand why a lot of adults raised with Tom and Jerry and the Road Runner want him snuffed out of their family rooms.

Well, I was just kidding....  But IMO, you don't need a purple stuffed Barney creature to teach children anything....  They should, or I should say, I *think* they should learn those fundemental values from the people that they are *supposed* to love and respect....  Their parents....  Now, I don't have kids, so my opinion is less meaningful as I am not experienced....  So, take it with a grain of salt....

My beef with Barney, I have none, it was supposed to be funny....  But, I can find flaws if I think....  :wink:    The music is annoying(to me), as are the songs....  In the "classic" violent cartoons I grew up on, I did not learn respect, caring, sharing, and loving from them, as that is not what they were meant for....  (I did learn how to order and Acme rocket and have it delivered to the middle of the dessert tho~...!    :wink: )  They were entertainment, and backed by tons of Classical Music compositions - not simple 3 note runs....    They allow you to be part of a "dream world" for a little while, and I *think* that breeds creativity in the mind - along with the music selection.... 

As for spanking, I was spanked as a child when I needed it, wasn't very often, but I learned respect....  I ain't talkin about being "slapped around" here, spanking were for serious offenses like lieing, or talking back....  So, I felt a little pain for a few minutes as I reflected on why my parents thought it was so important for me to understand something that I would be caused pain by their hand....  Guess what...?  It worked....  But, they also gave me the time, attention, and the love to teach me what Barney is teaching the kids of today....    I am greatful to have grown up with those qualities instilled in me....  Simply put....

Now, I am sickened to watch how some parents allow their children to walk all over them while in public....  No respect whatsoever....    How many times does a child have to hear, "If you do that ONE MORE TIME...."  And then they do it again....  Why....?  Because they have "tested" their parents enough to know that they are not going to follow thru~ with their "threat"(used in a loose sence)....  Now, I don't know if that has to do with a lack of attention and nurturing, or a lack of discipline thru spanking - or perhaps both....  Or just a lack of consistancy in lighter disciplines like "time out" or being "grounded"....?  When I was told "If you do that ONE MORE TIME", I knew what was going to happen if I did....  I have not done an actual study on it or anything....  I just know that I would NEVER have done that to my parents, nor would they have allowed me to do that to them....

I am not implying you are a bad parent by letting them watch Barney, nor am I saying that I know how to raise children....  But, I would prolly~ follow by example of the people I respect the most in this world, my parents....  As I don't see having any kids anytime soon, they are prolly~ safe from getting any ass whoooopins~ in the near future....  You asked for "beef", I delivered....  :wink:  :heart:

Discuss....?

And purple is pretty, I have a purple Paul Reed Smith....  Very pretty indeed.....  :grin:

>^;;^<

:heart:

--------------------

>^;;^<

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Re: A Totally Harmless Belief - Barney Vs. Parental Attention.... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3809157 - 02/20/05 11:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I think Barney is a little bit idiotic... I mean love, sharing, cute dinoasurs are one thing, but how about mental stimulation?

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: A Totally Harmless Belief - Barney Vs. Parental Attention.... [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3809239 - 02/20/05 11:59 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, you have a point that the show is very numbing. Perhaps if they blended Barny and 3-2-1-Contact (if you remember that show)?

--------------------
Agent 727

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Re: A Totally Harmless Belief - Barney Vs. Parental Attention.... [Re: MAGnum]
    #3809242 - 02/20/05 11:59 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

3-2-1-Contact

is that the show that had Mathman...mathman...mathman

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: A Totally Harmless Belief - Barney Vs. Parental Attention.... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3809281 - 02/21/05 12:11 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yes TomCat,

You have seen the nasty outcomes of inconsistent parents with no follow through. I only have to ask my daughter to do something once and its done. Shes never even been yelled out, let alone spanked. She is probably one of the most well behaved self disciplined children you will meet. It's about time I get back to writing the book I've been wanting to on parenting.

Barney is not required. Of course kids can learn those virtues from their parents and they do. Barney, because it appeals to them, just helps to reinforce the values of caring, sharing, taking turns between the examples other children are setting in a format that appeals to them.

That show was creator by teachers who left the public school system because they saw, parents were not taking care to teach their children these virtues early on and they were a nightmare to deal with in elementary school.

Children look to their peers big time. Find a good kid to set an example and they are worth their weight in gold. Unfortunately, children who care and share and know how to take turns are hard to find. Thank the creators of barney for putting them out there to set an peer related example.

Zeke,

Barney only interests most kids up until age 3. I think teaching sharing, caring and taking turns sets a good foundation for the 3 Rs up ahead. I can give a rats ass if Johnny can multiply by age 4 if he is biting other children and taking their toys away from them.

Barney is a 20 minute show. To play a video only 3 times a week, leaves plenty of room for parents to provide plenty of mental stimulation. My daughter was put in the gifted programs in Kindergarten when she went to public school for the last half of that year. I've been homeschooling since we moved to a new area.

If you are referring to parents who expect TV and the school system to teach and stimulate their children alone, then, that's another problem to be sure, almost epidemic if you ask me.

Bare in mind, children need emotional stimulation to and examples of healthy emotional expression and dealing with their own feelings and others in a constructive manor.

Children who run into emotional arrested development end up to be sad adults like Micheal Jackson.

Blah blah I should be typing this for a book instead. Boy if we didn't get off topic Sorry Swami.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Re: A Totally Harmless Belief - Barney Vs. Parental Attention.... [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3809391 - 02/21/05 01:01 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Barney is a 20 minute show. To play a video only 3 times a week, leaves plenty of room for parents to provide plenty of mental stimulation.

right... that's true isn't it. I don't know, maybe Barney is forever poisoned for me because I was a young teenager when he first busted onto the scene. You know how wise young teenagers can be, I was one of the wisest. and so I decided Barney was creepy and idiotic... something I can't help but still believe... but which I'll admit is probably totally arbitrary

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#3809428 - 02/21/05 01:12 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:

Isn't it funny what can unfold out of a simple random statement used as an example...!?    :eek:

Life....!

>^;;^<

:heart:

--------------------

>^;;^<

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale