Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Childhood Wonder
    #3801635 - 02/18/05 11:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

When I was six years old, my Grandmother took me to see the (then) new movie Journey to the Center of the Earth. My best friend Paul saw it about the same time and we used to pretend that we were there, strapping all kinds of objects to our backs like the fanciful spelunker-equipment worn in the film. The cavern of giant mushrooms is perhaps one of my favorite scenes. A hollow Earth! How fantastic! How unscientifically charming!

Many years later I discovered the 19th century book 'Etidorpha' (Aphrodite reversed) with pre-Einsteinian 'Aether' physics and more giant mushrooms. Not exactly a spiritual notion, nor a philosophical one, my childhood wonder was once the wonderment of 19th century adults. Just thought I'd try to convey a moment of the wonder if I could. I believe that as emotions go, it is right next to 'Awe' and then 'Religious Awe.'

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Childhood Wonder [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3801827 - 02/18/05 11:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Childhood awe is often revered as something precious then lost. Perhaps so, but anything totally new is usually held in special esteem.

I recently rewatched "In Search of the Castaways", a Disney movie that I found wonder in as a child, some 40 years later. The effects were cheesey even for it's day and I was somewhat disappointed that it had seemed so magical to me as a pre-teen.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3802593 - 02/19/05 04:23 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

As a small child I had a fascination with the southern hemisphere of the planet. I had conjugated the notion in my mind that somewhere on this planet, by all mathetmatical logic in comparison to the number of humans on earth, that there existed another little boy who looked like me, talked like me, acted like me, and persued the same childish interests as me in life. I later found this to be an early sign of my connecting human beings together as One. A community. I had nothing but love for the mirror-boy somewhere in the deep, unknown south.

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: Childhood Wonder [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3802849 - 02/19/05 09:28 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

mirror-boy

me too! exactly that, and I haven't thought of it in years. wowo. trippy shit.

when I got a bit older, I figured mirror-boy wasn't on planet earth, but on some other planet somewhere in the 'infinite' universe. I figured there were infinite mirror-boys in infinite circumstances, but I only concentrated on the one for whom everything went perfectly. man, he had horseshoes up his ass, he got the girl, he had a life like Indiana Jones, etc.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Childhood Wonder [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3802896 - 02/19/05 10:14 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

And...of course...a "mirror-boy" might be looked at analytically in terms of what Freud and his generation called "Inverts," i.e., homosexuals. Or again, one could polarize any 'conscious' attitude and come up with a repressed unconscious Jungian 'Shadow' mirror-boy, like the original Star Trek episode where Kirk becomes divided along such lines.

The Earth or globe and the human body are Macrocosmic-Microcosmic parallels that have been depicted, say, pentagrammatically by DaVinci and others - and the inverted pentagram.

I suppose all this also connects with the notion of the 'Center of the Earth.'

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Childhood Wonder [Re: Swami]
    #3802924 - 02/19/05 10:29 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I understand the disappointment as I've experienced the same thing, but then another level of disappointment emerges that I have lost the ability to allow my mind to 'ride' on such "cheesy" vehicles to wonderous worlds of imagination. Major flaws in sci-fi films drives me nuts. When I recently tried to watch 'The Core,' and was able to suspend the improbabilities of the Earth about to explode, a private scientist who invents a laser-sonic blasting device PLUS a Tungsten-matrix-based metal that withstands impossible temperatures and pressures that allows for a cork-screw boring vehicle - I finally turned the film off when somewhere in the molten magma of the Earth, the vehicle crashed into giant crystals in a big black cave, AND the scientists had to get outside of their vessel to free it.

Too much, too stupid, couldn't suspend my critical faculty one second longer. Maybe if I watched the film with an analytical eye, interpreting such phenomena as some 'dark night of the soul' on the way to the radiant Center of the Earth which they were going to 'infuse' with the Light of the Sun (via a thermonuclear bomb). Perhaps I could see a scientific-spiritual parallel of the Earth being 'incarnated' at its heart by the Sun - and using the Macrocosmic-Microcosmic parallel, see Humankind suffused with the Light of the Son [of GOD]. Nah! That's just me projecting my own interests. Then, watching the stupid movie would be like watching some psychospiritual mirror. But I'm just ram-mb-b-b-bling.......

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

#3802931 - 02/19/05 10:31 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I suppose all this also connects with the notion of the 'Center of the Earth.'

yes, the center of the earth acts as a fulcrum across which the boy is flipped into the mirror-boy

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #3803627 - 02/19/05 02:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know this movie The Core, but if it's anything like this movie Armageddon starring action superstar Bruce Willis then I understand.

I believe the issue with hating new Hollywood crapbuster movies, which I do, movies like Volcano starring superstar Tommy Lee Jones and movies like The Day After Tomorrow where they have a tidal wave hit New York City and all these crappy crappy movies where they come up with amazing situations is that they go halfway with it. they go halfway towards using modern special effects to make it seem realistic, then they have outrageous cliched action movie crap happen, like Bruce Willis jumps across a chasm on an asteroid in his moon buggy like Evil Knieval in space.

At least with old crap like your Journey to the Center of the Earth movie they aren't trying to make it seem halfway realistic. At least they realize it's just a story. Armageddon, either it's action jackson in space or it's you know let's try to present a possible scenario about what we'd do if an asteroid were headed for Earth. Don't go halfway, pick one or the other you stupid Hollywood movie idiots.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Childhood Wonder [Re: question_for_joo]
    #3804220 - 02/19/05 06:28 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

How about Mario Brothers?

Something deep inside me still flutters with mystery when I see those games. I remember when I was a kid, the videogame world seemed so epic and wonderous. I almost get shivers when I hear some of the music from #3.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Childhood Wonder [Re: Grav]
    #3804222 - 02/19/05 06:30 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

oh yea.. the Core was one of the worst movies i've ever seen. Total disappointment. But that's what I get for spending 8$ on a new hollywood 'disaster' movie.

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
Re: Childhood Wonder [Re: Grav]
    #3804990 - 02/19/05 10:05 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Grav said:
How about Mario Brothers?

Something deep inside me still flutters with mystery when I see those games.  I remember when I was a kid, the videogame world seemed so epic and wonderous.  I almost get shivers when I hear some of the music from #3.

:grin: :thumbup:

YES!

I know that feeling all to well.

I could cry like a little bitch when I play nintendo games that i have'nt played sence i was little kid.

roms and emulators are great.

been playing river city ransom again, greatest game ever, they don't make games like them anymore.

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

#3805322 - 02/19/05 11:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting... I have always looked at 'mirror-boy' as an early product of my neurological selfism. As a child I lived in a fantasy world. I was preoccupied with the movie 'Wizard of Oz' and turned heads where ever I went as a 5 year-old because I told adults that I had a sister named Dorothy who was from Oz. I even wanted to be Dorothy for Halloween at one point. I'm not sure what the Freudian take on that would be, as an adolescent and adult I have never ever had the desire to transvestite - but have had the desire to push myself towards a feminine identification that is more David Bowie-esque if anything.

edit:I like what you said about the Earth connection/the connection of the pentagram. I have always brought people to a personal level; that they have they have the same wants, needs, etc. as I do.

--------------------

Edited by zahudulallah (02/20/05 08:38 AM)

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Re: Childhood Wonder [Re: JCoke]
    #3805715 - 02/20/05 01:38 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

river city ransom again, greatest game ever,

OHHHO you are SO right, that game is fucking TOPS. I don't know what it is, but no game will ever beat River City Ransom

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Re: Childhood Wonder [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3805729 - 02/20/05 01:44 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Zekebomb said:
river city ransom again, greatest game ever,

OHHHO you are SO right, that game is fucking TOPS. I don't know what it is, but no game will ever beat River City Ransom

it feels SO satisfying to hear that from someone else, (Jcoke: "wipes tear from eye")

--------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Childhood Wonder [Re: JCoke]
    #3806099 - 02/20/05 07:55 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well, this is bringin back some memories....  :sun:  :grin:  Besides being a fan of daily cartoon "Voltron", there are 2 movies that pop right into mind....  "Tron", and "Fantastic Planet"....  :tongue:  The first few times I saw the Fantastic Planet was on: "Cult Classics" on the USA channel's "Night Flight" show, in the wee hours of the mornin....  (damn, I even stayed up late back then....)    Anyway, see if this sparks up some memories....  :smirk:

The Traags, a very civilized and "Spiritual" "peoples", were talkin WAY advanced....  :wink:

A Traag child playing with her cute little Oms child (humanoid) PET....  :what:

Now that the pet kid is a little older, those nasty Traags put a MAGNETIC COLLAR around the kids neck....    :eek:
It has a matching blue remote control in case the kid get far away, he comes dragging back "home" (until one day :wink: )....

The savage humanoid like "Oms" having their fill of Wednesday night savagery, prehistoric "Gladiator" style....  :oogle:

Looks like the Oms finally decided to take back their freedom....!    W00000t  W000000T....  :grin:

There is a lot of really cool scenery, and some cool concepts with creatures and plants in this movie....  The little people got one of their "brain education crown", and they all learn all about the Traags...  A lot of cool stuff in between with the gas extermination machines - chuckin buckets full of little smoking pills into the crowds of skurrying little people....  and finally to the end where they made peace, and decided to live in harmony....  COOOoooooooo 
:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

This (of course) COMPLETELY shaped my life as I know it today....  I still go out every other weekend to hunt and carve me up sum Traags....  :tongue2:    :lol:

>^;;^<

:sun:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Childhood Wonder [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3806148 - 02/20/05 08:38 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Trippy. :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3806226 - 02/20/05 09:44 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Too much, too stupid, couldn't suspend my critical faculty one second longer.

I know the feeling all too well. Even when I suspend judgement on the basic premise of a movie, the pieces never even remotely fit - there are ALWAYS gaping holes and glaring inconsistencies.

Whenever I watch Star Trek and the ship gets attacked and they are down to their final little bit of life-support as their power runs out, "I always yell, "TURN OFF THE FUCKING ARTIFICIAL GRAVITY!" But do they listen? NooOOOOooo! What? Does that run a 9 volt Energizer battery?

I watched an old Mission Impossible TV show a while back. Barnie struggles to climb up this huge water tower with a cast on his left arm. When he comes down, the cast is on his right arm! Come on scriptwriters and make-up people! Get it together.

Back to your real point. It is hard for me to feel wonder anymore. I am not sure if is too many memories or because desensitizing was necessary for me to survive. *S&P Shocker* I would cry over anything and everything and could not tolerate pain. Now, very little moves me and my pain threshold is quite high.

A few years ago I went whale-watching with my older girlfriend. I had never seen a whale up close, but was blase due to seeing enough whale videos. When we first spotted one, my lady shrieked with glee like a little girl. Then I was able to feel the magic of the moment through her emotions. Perhaps this is why people live again through their young children and grandchildren. It stokes some long-buried feelings of awe.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblethankugoodnight
Finito. Fin?.Fin.
    #3806241 - 02/20/05 09:59 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Edited by molil (02/23/05 01:17 AM)

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3806909 - 02/20/05 02:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Back to your real point. It is hard for me to feel wonder anymore. I am not sure if is too many memories or because desensitizing was necessary for me to survive. *S&P Shocker* I would cry over anything and everything and could not tolerate pain. Now, very little moves me and my pain threshold is quite high.
A few years ago I went whale-watching with my older girlfriend. I had never seen a whale up close, but was blase due to seeing enough whale videos. When we first spotted one, my lady shrieked with glee like a little girl. Then I was able to feel the magic of the moment through her emotions. Perhaps this is why people live again through their young children and grandchildren. It stokes some long-buried feelings of awe.

This is a nice picture, weather you "see" it or not....    The feelings are there, you have felt them, it just sounds like they might be burried a bit....  It definately is not a fault....  I have never seen a whale in real life, but there is a sense of AWE and Wonder about them in me....  A living "breathing" creature so large, and peaceful....  Not unlike seeing pictures of a HUGE redwood tree, and that is "just" a tree....  I remember having "feelings" of AWE hit me when I watched the movie "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks....  A couple of meaning filled moments with a vulnerable lost stranger in a strange world receiving "compassion" from a wise old creature from the sea....    If I was to ever see one in real life, I think I would shriek in joy and Awe-overwhelment just as your ladyfriend did....  Wondering in the marvels of life.... 

Interesting sidenote of observation, even Star Trek had a movie about saving the whales....  :ooo:   
::::Pondering::::
As Hollywood'ed up movies are for "shock and awe" value, some still are able to capture the compassion of man himself....    It is still there to "feel" amongst the fireworks of Hollywood, as man did create it.... 

If it "Moves" you, it is "(e)MOTION"....  Strange how simple that word connection is that I have never noticed before now....

:::::Deep Breath:::::

>^;;^<

:heart:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Re: Childhood Wonder [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3807974 - 02/20/05 06:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Voltron!  :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract