Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hawaiian Baby Woodrose, Mimosa Hostilis, Morning Glory Seeds, Scales, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblemoecat
Visitor
LSA Analysis
    #3803800 - 02/19/05 05:44 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Edited by moecat (10/17/05 08:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: LSA Analysis [Re: moecat]
    #3803885 - 02/19/05 06:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Very nice. Im am just wondering why your absorbance on the morning glory graph is the highest but you report that HBWR has the largest area? You might have them switched around.

One thing that everyone would be very interested in is how the cheaper, indian variety compares to the authentic seeds in concentration. It would be great if you did that comparison.

Invisiblemoecat
Visitor
Re: LSA Analysis [Re: Catalysis]
    #3803917 - 02/19/05 06:30 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Edited by moecat (10/17/05 08:43 PM)

Offlinebluelou
NUTCASEdrugbucket!
Male User Gallery

Loc: $hroom Central
    #3803922 - 02/19/05 06:32 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Very good work!

Man, i have alot of HBBR seeds and glories any experiences with effects?
And whats the best way to extract to have less pukey feelings?
My vine is BIG on the 3rd year and harvest wast good but im not shure
how or if i wanna try them suckers? any thoughts for an old buddy!

--------------------
Have you tried my(black kow) pile style tek outdoors!!!!!!!!

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3804165 - 02/19/05 08:00 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

ah sorry, i saw that and thought it applied to all samples. As for the different varieties..

" The main difference between varieties is that the speciosa variety is used medicinally in ayurvedic medicine and the nervosa strain has high LSA alkaloid content. It makes little difference where the strains are grown, but most seed originating from India and Africa is of the speciosa variety and thus low in LSA. These countries are responsible for supplying the vast bulk of all Argyreia seed on the market today. It wholesales for about US$40 per kilo and is available in huge quantities. The nervosa variety on the other hand is in very short supply and wholesales at US$2000 per kilo, but is rarely available in such quantities.

The cheap african seed flooded the market sometime after '95. Most of the seed available through ethnobotany supplies before then was of the nervosa variety. However in the last few years ('98 onwards) the african speciosa seed has largely replaced the traditional nervosa seed. As lines of supply became blurred people started paying the nervosa price for speciosa seed and these days a high price is not a guarantee of getting nervosa seed anymore. Even worse, many seedsuppliers (even on Hawaii) have bought in the speciosa variety and are now selling it (quite unknowingly) as nervosa seed.

Similarly, the seed supplied by SAB has been speciosa seed for a couple of years. I can't even determine when they changed over, but I know that at least the first 6 months were guaranteed nervosa strains. This means we have plenty of nervosa strain plants growing for future seed production.

The nervosa seed currently offered (fractal) is from plants of the nervosa variety (ie like traditional Hawaiian seed) grown in Far North Queensland, in a climate similar to Hawaii. Bioassays have confirmed activity identical to good quality Hawaiian Argyreia nervosa var nervosa seed."

I guess what im talking about is this "speciosa" variety. Sounds like its in-between morning glorys and HBWR on the lsa scale.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

#3807224 - 02/20/05 05:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Very interesting. I'm sure it's nice to have access to such a piece of machinery. It would be very nice to see such illustrations as these in the future.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Invisiblemoecat
Visitor
Re: LSA Analysis [Re: Hooty]
    #3808830 - 02/21/05 12:28 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Edited by moecat (10/17/05 08:43 PM)

Offlinerdnp2035
Stranger

#3808855 - 02/21/05 12:35 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

This is the proest thread I've ever seen.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: LSA Analysis [Re: rdnp2035]
    #3809285 - 02/21/05 02:12 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Indeed, definately a good job. This one is getting bookmarked by me for sure. I never realized that there was such a difference between Pearly Gates and Heavenly Blue varieties, as all my experience has been with the heavenly blue strain. I figured most speculation of an alkaloid concentration difference was from purely anecdotal information.

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Re: LSA Analysis [Re: Hooty]
    #3811717 - 02/21/05 05:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Beaytiful!!!! Its one of those threads that indeed offers SOLID information...

By the Way is Moecat a puppuet of another user (in the good sense ,like the puppets used in Growlogs in order to keep anonimity) ? I ask because he/she has only 3 posts but sets standars for this board already!!!!

Oh boy,you have access to some very beautiful equipment...I wonder if you could run other samples as well...Like Delosperma Cooperi to see if it contains tryptamines and how much...Or like testing the leaves of trees like Mimosa Hostilis to see if they contain tryptamines and in what quantities (i know they use the rootbark but harvesting it poses a lot of problems so if we find data on the leaves we could have yet another source"). Having access to this equipment can answer definately a lot of "how much","Does it really contain the X compound?" questions

Bravo again!

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3811772 - 02/21/05 05:47 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Great post moecat. It is nice to see the difference between the potency of the three different types. Don't get me wrong, this is a great thread, but why only 1 gram? I mean, things vary greatly in nature, and 1 gram of seeds isn't all that much to study. If you were to ever do something like this again, I would probably do 5-10 grams off of at least 15 different plants, of the same strain though. Then you have growing conditions of the plant, etc. etc.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Invisiblemoecat
Visitor
Re: LSA Analysis [Re: Psiloman]
    #3813070 - 02/21/05 09:10 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Edited by moecat (10/17/05 08:44 PM)

Invisiblemoecat
Visitor
Re: LSA Analysis [Re: theocean06]
    #3813140 - 02/21/05 09:25 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Edited by moecat (10/17/05 09:07 PM)

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #3813522 - 02/21/05 10:37 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

moecat said:
This suggests that if the effects of these plants are from the combined effect of a number of compounds at defined ratios, it is repeatable, and in itself, very much key to the pharmacology of the material.

Indeed, Hoffman concluded from his studies of Morning Glories that there are three or four psychedelic compounds in the seeds, including ergotivine or something along those lines, which is currently used for post-partem uterine control, but when taken in high enough dosages is clearly psychedelic in nature.

It might have already been done but it would be interesting to see about isolating each active in the seeds and studying their individual pharmacology's.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflinePsiloman
Male
    #3815685 - 02/22/05 06:51 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

"I'll keep your suggestion about Delosperma Cooperi in mind, and I may trace back into some previous work on mimosa hostilis and perhaps cactus plants I've looked at, but for me, I'm somewhat less motivated to rehash something I'm not currently looking at. As I said, it's more of a running electronic notebook for me to at least try and record some observations I've made (and that other people might find interesting). "

Thank you and by any means continue your work! I certainly would not want your interest to stray away from thosep lants in question before it is somehow completed!

You have a  witty approach to the subject which i like....From my basic knowledge of chemistry (i have BSc Biology) i noticed as well the ratio which seems significant for its action....LSA containing plants are such an interesting category to study!!!!

As Police would say (no ,not the real police,the band i mean :laugh:) "I will be watching you"!

Keep up the good work,there are some people in here that appriciate it!

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

#3817199 - 02/22/05 04:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

As Police would say (no ,not the real police,the band i mean ) "I will be watching you"!

The real police say that too....

--------------------

It will never come true

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #3817763 - 02/22/05 06:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I've finally gotten a chance to read the thread quickly...

Very nice work.

Invisiblemoecat
Visitor
Re: LSA Analysis [Re: neuro]
    #3824815 - 02/23/05 11:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Edited by moecat (10/17/05 08:44 PM)

OfflinePsiloman
Male
    #3826315 - 02/24/05 08:17 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Potency-wise the aforementioned products of LSA when heated or subjected to extreme pH would you expect it to be weaker?

I might as well need some brushing up on graph reading,so if you dont mind i could save those graphs on my hard disk to give them a better look ofline as well! Great Job,and great devotion! I think this is one project you should be awarded 5 shrooms for,and these are 5 well spent shrooms im giving you!

Your findings are very interesting...Whats next on the test list with LSA? Do you think some foliage of LSA containing plants could be tested? There are mentions (is The Hive for example) that they may contain biologically significant amount of LSA

Invisiblemoecat
Visitor
    #3829906 - 02/24/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Edited by moecat (10/17/05 08:45 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Hawaiian Baby Woodrose, Mimosa Hostilis, Morning Glory Seeds, Scales, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden