Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMortland
Stranger
Need a Recomendation
    #3803357 - 02/19/05 03:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I have completed my first grow with a total dry yield of 24 grams DRY from 4 cakes. So im hella happy. I wish to try casing But all the tutorials seem to be shitty as hell non descriptive and most dont have pics. Could someone reccomend a casing tek for me?? The ususal high yeild low risk of contam of course. Im just not getting that warm funnsy feeling with any of the teks on the site. Help plz!?!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBdon
Stranger
Re: Need a Recomendation [Re: Mortland]
    #3803389 - 02/19/05 03:36 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I followed the casing 101 and it worked great, was easy as hell. This was my 1st grow, I didnt get conditions even near perfect and I still had a happy 1st grow. Go off of that tek and any thing it's missing u can find in any other tek

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
    #3803392 - 02/19/05 03:37 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You can do a 60/40 coco coir and vermiculite case. The coco coir is usually found at pet stores under the name of eco earth.
Just mix the ratios sterilize it, let cool, and crumble your myc into the middle and make sure you dont have more than 2 inches of substrate over that. This is a real quicky not much detail but it is idiot proof and works well. After you case just make sure you incubate for about 3-4 days depending on your conditions and then wa la.. If your not sure if the case is ready to go in the PMP peel back the foil and look for myc coming through the top layer of substrate. Then its about patching and misting but that comes with practice and research.
Gl
-Odd

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

OfflineMortland
Stranger
    #3803804 - 02/19/05 05:46 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I dont know about that Coir 60 40 mix its doesnt give more precise amounts to add and to top it off it looks as if it leaves room for infection easily. And it sure as hell donsent give instruction to applying your subtrate
Could someone plz point me in a good direction for this?? Or atleast elaborate and go into detail on a good method.

Offlinecougercruiser
reality is whatyou make it~

Loc: Cali
    #3803838 - 02/19/05 05:57 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

oddieseus is right the 60/40 coco coir and vermiculite mix will do the trick, trust me i should know. I tried that after my first flush and i got a good yeild off of it and i am really not sterile when it comes to making a casing. It worked out great whith no contams just make sure you microwave the 60/40 coco coir and vermiculite or boil it.

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Re: Need a Recomendation [Re: cougercruiser]
    #3803931 - 02/19/05 06:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I usually steam my substrate before adding my myc. That works perfectly. Mortland trust me bro I have made many a mushy from the 60/40 tech. You just have to make sure that you keep it moist.. By moist I mean not too saturated and definitely not to dry. But as for details here it goes. Buy some Eco Earth
(coco coir) that is the best stuff and you don' t have to worry about the consistency. Next soak the coco coir in water to make it quadruple its size. Get a few rubbermaid 1 qt containers similar to the one in this picture
Then put half the ratio of verm in one and half the ratio of coir in the other. Make sure that you get the verm wet and soaked thouroghly. To do this fill the rubbermaid and verm with water until full then using your hand let the water run out into a sink until it barely drips. Cover both with foil and steam for about an hour, or boil, or PC after that... I use a glovebox made from cardboard but you can use a sterile bathroom. just uncover the containers(save the foil for recovering) mix the mixture 50 / 50 or 60/40 whatever it doesnt matter. then put half in each. Using a spoon and a cake just spon chunks of the myc cake into the casing and cover with about 2 inches of substrate recover(using original sterilized foil.) and incubate for about 3 -4 days. and WA LA... Good casing. After that just set it in the pmp and wait. Spray with h2o2 in a 1 to 10 ratio and keep it moist NOT SOGGY. then once myc starts to pic up you might need to patch with some of the original 60/40 mix to make for an even flush.

Try it dont be scared. I've thrown away enough cakes and substrates to get a concert high and all with no worried because the hobby is cheap and it pays for itself.. Even in the gratification alone pays for it. So jump in get your hands dirty and get back to me.

Good Luck
-Odd

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

OfflineMortland
Stranger
Re: Need a Recomendation [Re: oddiseus]
    #3804131 - 02/19/05 07:45 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

So after i cook the vermiculite that i fileld with wather and the Coir Coir in the oven i put the subtrate on that? Arent you supposed to put another layer of the casing mix on top of that??? Or do i let the mycella grow for a day or two more and then cover it with casing mix????? Im still a bit confused

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

#3804285 - 02/19/05 09:00 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ok first of all lets get the substrate definition out. The substrate IS the coco coir and verm. Its whatever you're casing with. Next are you using an oven because thats your only method of sterilization?? If so thats fine. There is several ways to do it. What you need to do is make sure you mix the verm and the coir at whatever ratio you want whether it be 50/50 or 60/40. But whats gonna happen is your gonna get ready to spread the myc and your gonna have to empty one of the rubbermaid tupperwares halfway to make room for the myc then use what you pulled out to cover the myc. Do it all in one step. It should look like this----->

The white layer in the middle is the myc. So do you see what Im saying about pulling half of the substrate out and then put the myc in a nice flat layer in the middle and cover with the rest of the substrate you just pulled out? Its simple then use the foil to cover it back up and incubate it until the myc is popping through the top layer in the case. Anymore questions I'm glad to help. Just let me know where you get confused.

-Odd

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3804356 - 02/19/05 09:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

let me know where you get confused

Me thinks YOU are the one confused.

Quote:

The substrate IS the coco coir and verm.

No, the substrate contains the "food" for the mycelium. In this case the substrate is crumbled PF cakes. The coir/verm mixture is used as the casing.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Re: Need a Recomendation [Re: dog]
    #3804375 - 02/19/05 09:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

No argument here always up for a correction. I have just read so many conflicting articles that I came to this conclusion. My apologies Mortland. Either way the technique doesnt change.
Thanks dog.

See we learn something everyday.. lol

-Odd

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3804416 - 02/19/05 09:30 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

No problem. :wink:

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Re: Need a Recomendation [Re: dog]
    #3804468 - 02/19/05 09:45 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

you rock Dog

-Odd

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #3804615 - 02/19/05 10:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mortland said:
I dont know about that Coir 60 40 mix its doesnt give more precise amounts to add and to top it off it looks as if it leaves room for infection easily. And it sure as hell donsent give instruction to applying your subtrate
Could someone plz point me in a good direction for this?? Or atleast elaborate and go into detail on a good method.

60 percent Verm/40 percent Coco Coir is the mix...pretty simple.

There is a chance for contams for all types of casings...depends on how sterile you are.

Read this.
60/40 Vermiculite and Coco Coir Casing Tek

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
Re: Need a Recomendation [Re: Roadkill]
    #3806031 - 02/20/05 08:35 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i see lots about the coir casing and nothing about sphagnum peat moss teks. it's simple a foaf doesn't sterilize and has great results try this if your interested. get your sphagnum peat moss. screen out the large chunks of wood with mechanics mesh. discard the chunks you don't want them. take 4.5 parts peat moss, 1 part vermiculite and 1 part garden limestone. mix it up really good in a dry state. once it's mixed soak the hell out of it. and let it sit for 15 min. make sure its all soaked give it a stir with a spoon. dump out the standing water. put on some rubber gloves time for the fun. scoop out a handful and compress it like you making a snowball. (for those in the south make a baseball out of the stuff.) squeeze the water out. don't go overboard just get allot of it out. put it in a separate bowl. once you figure you have enough to cover your substrate 1 to 1.5 inches thick ( my foaf grows on straw substrate 6-8 inches thick) dump it on top and spread it out evenly. you can stab the substrate with a couple of toothpicks so you know how much casing you've added. once the toothpicks are covered your done, pull the toothpicks out. don't pack the casing down you want it to be light fluffy and most importantly moist. my foaf uses a fork with a couple of tines bent back and uses that to scratch the surface lightly. put a clean piece of plastic over it and put it back into your incubator. if you have any leftover casing save it for patching. stick it in a clean jar or cover the bowl you were using and stick it in the fridge. it can be reused in a couple of days when the mycelium breaks through. after 3 days give the casing a check patch where the mycelium shows and put it back Ianthe incubator with the plastic off. you will be reading for fruiting in 2 days. drop the temp and watch it pin

OfflineMortland
Stranger
Re: Need a Recomendation [Re: brewwhaha1]
    #3811041 - 02/21/05 03:04 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

So if i were to use some clear glass pans cause i dont have that big of a microwave and do i break the Coco COir after i soak it?? And when i mis the two Vermiculite and COCO Coir up how long should i sitck it in the over for?? And at what tempature?

Onsecond thought i think ill just make a big ol fucking batch of the subtrate k. Stick it all in a big metal pan and then cook it but like before how long and at what temp?? And then ill just microwave some rubbermaids for 5 mins each and then spoon in with a steril spoon half the mix then a few crumbled cakes then more subtrate. Is that good? or doi need to add a bit more water to it? And by incubate do you mean let it sit till the white comes thru the layer then stick it in the fruiting chamber with the perlite and take the foil off?
Btw i really aperciate this guys.

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
    #3811079 - 02/21/05 03:12 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

if your really worried about contamination in a casing add peroxide to the vermiculite on bottom.

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Re: Need a Recomendation [Re: thenewguy05]
    #3814468 - 02/22/05 12:59 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Im not sure on what exactly the amount of time in the oven is considering I dont use that method. Maybe others on here could give you some times and temps. But to answer your question you should just incubate until myc grows from the top of the casing then sanitize it and put it into your fruiting chamber. You might need to patch if the myc is growing out of the case unevenly. If so just add a lil bit of the 60/40 mix until you cover the spots that stick out. It might not sound right now but you will understand after you try it. For a more intuitive aproach to patching just do a search, lots of your questions on that can be resolved with pictures and a good explanation. Remove the foil and put it around the base that way you dont get pins on the side of the casing that could rot. If you do get pins on the side of the case they will usually grow tall enough for you to grab them and pull them out. They are still good so be sure to dry them. anyway get back to me.

-Odd

--------------------

OfflineMortland
Stranger
    #3905263 - 03/12/05 12:51 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Hye od i apperciate it If you could send me a email to mortlandx@yahoo.com with ur AIM name id be appericative.

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3905271 - 03/12/05 12:53 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

mortland, check your PM

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation