Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hemp, Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Protecting a plant during late winter
    #3802839 - 02/19/05 11:20 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Lets say that one sets out a 4 foot tall hemp plant today that has been under floros for a couple of months in order to achieve a spring harvest. It is left in the container, fertilized one last time with Fish Emulsion, sprinkled on some rock phosphate, and covered that all with dolomite and watered. Container bottom was buried about 2" under the soil for stability.

I know my biggest worries will be rabbits/deer. I sat three out at this time last year and rabbits or something ate all of the plants. This year the plant is twice as big as those and twice as high off the ground. Any tips to deter pests? Anything I can apply to the container edges or plant to keep them from being eaten?

Lows are around 38F at night, highs about 63F. I expect some freezing nights to still come, then I will move it to a greenhouse. I threw some seedlings out last week and they survived two nights of 28F although they are not growing fast at all.

Any help would be appreciated

R.I.P. Hunter, you will certainly be missed

Edited by SidiHidi (02/19/05 12:26 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Old Hand

Loc: Down here in Babylon
Re: Protecting a plant during late winter [Re: SidiHidi]
    #3803195 - 02/19/05 02:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Well one thing that helped me have success last year was a thin plastic net around the base of the plant. Mine was only about 7 inches high looped around the stem. But I planted directly into the ground.

All the piss in the world won't be enough to deter deer. But some sort of physical barrier will keep animals away.

Watch out for rabbits because they dig underneath your fence.

However it sounds like it's a little to early to set them outside. Maybe this time next month.

Yeah, I've donefour already...

Re: Protecting a plant during late winter [Re: SidiHidi]
    #3803218 - 02/19/05 02:32 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

For deer, you can put wishing line as two or three different spots (6", 12", 36" for example). When they hit the fishing line (the fishing line strength should be at least 50 pounds), they won't be able to see it, get scared and run away. This won't work forever, but for a good amount time. The fishing line will need to be changed periodically. Predator urine and feces (the feces will last longer) is another option.

A product called 'Animal Fence' has worked for many people, I don't know what's in it, but it seems to work pretty good. As for the rabbits and such, a little plastic, preferably green or clear so it blends in, would be a good idea.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hemp, Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden