Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
after winxp update
    #3802777 - 02/19/05 10:37 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

upon startup my application protection program (black ice) goes nuts with possible trojan and rouge application warnings for like shell32.dll explorer.exe and tons of other stuff that never happened before the update. I can give a list if it helps. if i terminate any of the stuff it just gives me my desktop background without icons or start menu until i ctrlaltdelete then allow the stuff to run when it asks again. black ice also warns when i open anything else now about possible rouge or trojan, like winamp, firefox, and numerous other things. the update was like 4 security updates and this crap http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...;displaylang=en
which for some reason i downloaded even though i know my computer is (or at least was) fine. i've run adaware, spybot, and avg and they came up clean. btw that windows malicious tool removal crap never did run like it said it would upon startup. any ideas how to fix without having to backup the computer to before the update? clicking about 20 boxes each time the computer starts is getting annoying and i wonder why now it warns of trojan/rouge with every program :frown:

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: after winxp update [Re: John]
    #3803190 - 02/19/05 02:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

uninstall black ice and see what happens.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Re: after winxp update [Re: Vvellum]
    #3803761 - 02/19/05 05:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i did and resarted the computer and the windows malicious tool removal never started. there was a boot disk failure the first time i tried to start the computer (it said something along the lines: boot disk failure please insert recover disk) then i turned it off and back on and it worked fine. i removed my video card while the computer was off because the fan died and i don't want to fry it so that might have been the reason for bdf but other than that everything is normal. i reinstalled blackice and there's not 20 prompts when i start the computer, it reprofiled the computer so is it fixed you think or just accepted the fact that windows owns my computer?

also another question, file-sharing no longer works on my computer like torrents and soulseek or any of that stuff, so i connected to the neighbors wireless network and it works fine so i'm guessing my isp blocked me from using that stuff? i wouldn't doubt it as i've used tons of bandwidth lately but is there a way to get around that like port forwarding or is that for firewalls and do you know of a good link to explain what to do if it's fixable?

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: after winxp update [Re: John]
    #3805559 - 02/20/05 02:46 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I believe you have to go to the windows site in order to use the "malicious software removal" tool...I wouldnt bother with it - of course its crap. just use spybot and ad-aware and spywareblaster. I think what you installed via windows update was some activex thing...maybe thats why blackice was freak out...?

if everything is running fine, then I suppose things are cool - dont know. never used blackice before - I use and recommend outpost pro on my windows comp.

as for p2p, did you ever tweak your tcp maximum? if you upgrade to sp2 you gotta do it. visit: http://www.lvllord.de and download/run

other than that, I dont know. your isp has monthly bandwidth limitations? never heard of that before.

as for port forwarding, visit your routers manu. website and see the guides.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Re: after winxp update [Re: Vvellum]
    #3806117 - 02/20/05 10:14 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

thanks man i got p2p mostly operational again. i don't have a bandwidth limit and i don't really know if it was my isp, my friend told me that's illegal for them to block a port, i just assumed that because i had transfered like 20+ gigs within the last day or so before p2p stopped working and nothing in my comp changed (stopped working before winupdate) :shrug:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology