Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: Global Warming: The Final Proof? [Re: GazzBut]
    #3881990 - 03/07/05 09:40 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
As for the so called liberal media I think that perception of this is dependent on your own beliefs.

It's also supported by studies where members of the media identify their own political leanings.

Quote:

However, if the media really is totally liberal biased surely you should be asking yourselves why some of the most informed members of society adopt liberal beliefs!

Members of the media are not the most informed, they read teleprompters and regurgitate the most superficial of details (for the most part). Like it or not, the media in this country is largely infotainment and concerned with market share first. The 'news' is a means to an end (ratings which lead to profits) it is not the end. More than once I have watched the media reporting on some things which I am intimately knowledgeable and their 'facts' consist of glaring omissions, half truths, uneducated guesses and opinionated spin. The print media is better, but not by much as articles are designed for those with the attention span of a channel surfer.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehardcorey
Stranger
    #3882027 - 03/07/05 09:53 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
...you should be asking yourselves why some of the most informed members of society adopt liberal beliefs!

Are you serious? How can you make a statement like, "...the most informed members of society adopt liberal beliefs!"? That's like saying my dog has a better personality than your dog. A statement like that is pure conjecture unless you can back it up with links, studies or evidence.

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #3882080 - 03/07/05 10:11 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Maybe the question should be 'What does the liberal media have to gain by hurting business?'

Corey,
I'm eagery reading up on this idea of yours. I'm wondering why this hasn't been widely theorized and publicized... I'm going by my school's astronomy library later on. Hopefully, I'll come back with some questions.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Offlinehardcorey
Stranger
Re: Global Warming: The Final Proof? [Re: Gijith]
    #3882133 - 03/07/05 10:39 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Gijith said:
I'm eagery reading up on this idea of yours. I'm wondering why this hasn't been widely theorized and publicized... I'm going by my school's astronomy library later on. Hopefully, I'll come back with some questions.

I don't know but I think it's a good question. I thought about the idea while I was skiing in Colorado last winter. Since then, I haven't shared it with anyone until now.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Global Warming: The Final Proof? [Re: hardcorey]
    #3886157 - 03/08/05 05:12 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

> I believe the liberal media uses global warming as a public scare tactic in order to hurt businesses.

I agree with you, (in spirit... I prefer to think of them as eco-terrorist... not all liberal media is bad), but at the same time I feel that the big pollution creators need to take a more proactive "what-if" approach. We know that pollution is bad, regardless of it causing global warming or not. Why not err on the side of safety (and sanity) and reduce our emmisions? Oh yes, money and greed... how silly of me... why should I worry about my children's future, or mine for that matter, when I need money to pay for gas for those SUVs I have sitting in the drive...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Global Warming: The Final Proof? [Re: Seuss]
    #3886180 - 03/08/05 05:30 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

God I love my SUV......

Actually with the exception of the SUV part I feel pretty much the same as you. Pollution is fucking pathetic and many companies balance the fines they will get for polluting with the amount of profit they make and determine that it will be cheaper to pay the fines then actually cleaning up. I can't believe the Govt. lets these companies make this decision. Personally I'd like to see a graduated fine system. Something like a set fine when a violation is found then the fine graduates exponentially the longer they go without fixing the problem. I'm not a tree-hugger or some Birkenstock wearing hippie, rather I'm a person who likes the outdoors and it disgusts me when I find out the watter I'm fishing in is contaminated or the woods I'm hunting in is a dumping ground for some asshole who could find a place to but their old refrigerator.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Global Warming: The Final Proof? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3886360 - 03/08/05 07:27 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

> Personally I'd like to see a graduated fine system.

Need both the carrot and the stick. Big tax breaks to companies that go out of their way to be clean. There should be a right for companies to pollute within reason. Big fines (to pay for the big tax breaks) to companies that pollute a lot.

> Actually with the exception of the SUV part I feel pretty much the same as you.

Yep, it is always easier to point out other peoples messes than to accept our own messes. I am as guilty as anybody in this regard.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Global Warming: The Final Proof? [Re: Seuss]
    #3886492 - 03/08/05 08:51 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

what i meant by the SUV thing is that many engines in some SUV's are smaller than that of cars. This SUV stigma is sort of funny. I have one myself and if you've ever had to drive in the snow it is awesome.

As far as the fines and tax breaks, I see nothing wrong with what you gave as an example. I like the idea of tax breaks for those that conform to EPA standards (or whatever standard they are using). Companies that pollute in excess should be fined like I said.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #3886515 - 03/08/05 09:06 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:
what i meant by the SUV thing is that many engines in some SUV's are smaller than that of cars. This SUV stigma is sort of funny. I have one myself and if you've ever had to drive in the snow it is awesome.

As far as the fines and tax breaks, I see nothing wrong with what you gave as an example. I like the idea of tax breaks for those that conform to EPA standards (or whatever standard they are using). Companies that pollute in excess should be fined like I said.

you're growing a lot. I like you.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Global Warming: The Final Proof? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #3886523 - 03/08/05 09:09 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

I've always thought this way. By problem is that too many people are trying to blame global warming exclusivly on polution from man.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineXygyg
Somulate
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
    #3905796 - 03/12/05 03:27 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

I don't think that going around trying to assign blame is helping any of us, because almost everyone on this planet is in some part responsible for what is happening...some more than others, but in the end it will make no difference!  We will probably still be pointing fingers when the last of our natural resources are either frozen over or burned up! :sun:

--------------------

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
from Nietzsche's Nachlass

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Global Warming: The Final Proof? [Re: Xygyg]
    #3907358 - 03/12/05 01:27 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

Space has all the natural resources we require... yet.. for some reason we're determined to exhaust our supply on Earth and to kill each other off before we venture out.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder