Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Ayahuasca

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFade_To_Black
Fire It Up

Folding@home Statistics
OCD
    #3802289 - 02/19/05 03:00 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Someone who i am very close to suffers from OCD. She continuously washes her hands if she touches something that might have germs/bacteria on it. She knows she suffers from this, and i was wondering if there was anything within my power to help her. I know its great to be clean and all, but you kinda have to draw a line when your washing your hands raw.

Any suggestions?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTrespasser
Stranger
Re: OCD [Re: Fade_To_Black]
    #3802512 - 02/19/05 05:05 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Cognitive behavioral therapy.

She could try and do it herself, but it if it's a thing that's been going on for a long time it's probably more advisable to get professional help. CBT has proved very efficient and it's a technique where one learns tools to cope with the stress. The person is then subjected to stress-inducing situations in small increments and gradually learns to handle them.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #3802623 - 02/19/05 06:47 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have OCD really bad. I can't even stop the manifestations that arise as I type each word on the computer, so I am constantly distracted. I've had it ever since I was a young kid so I feel for her. Her best chances are to use a combination of antidepressant and CBT. This combination has always given the best results for the majority of people. She will definitely be better off if she at least tries this. The antidepressant stuff can often be troubling, but maybe she will be helped enough by the CBT that it won't be necessary.. who knows...

anyway.. good luck to her.. and good for you, looking out for her  :thumbup:

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3803138 - 02/19/05 01:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

As a past sufferer of OCD, I can sympathize greatly.The only real way to beat OCD is to practice gradually to do the behaviour less and less gradually and eventually overcome the associated fears.Its going to take a very long time to overcome it most likely but I have beaten it.To beat it you must break the repeating mental chains and continually do so until the fear and OCD disappears.

Im ashamed of my irrational fears but when I was younger and had OCD I was dreadfully fearful of being abducted by aliens.My OCD revolved around this.The nightmares didnt exactly help any.But I have also had my OCD revolve around the whole hand washing thing as well.Its a very terrible condition to have in general.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

Offlinebugfungii24
Stranger
Re: OCD [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3803947 - 02/19/05 06:45 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

OCD has one of the worst long-term outcomes of any of the psychological disorders.

It's also been shown that many people with OCD use it as a coping mechanism for past trauma (PTSD)...So if you have both OCD and PTSD (diagnosed or not), and you treat the OCD, the PTSD gets WORSE and not better.

The obsessions distract you from negative thoughts.

behavioral therapy is a dressed-up name for "get over it" in truth IMO. I mean, it's nice to have a medical practitioner inform you that you should be running around the block at 6AM instead of sleeping till 4.30PM...But after one or two consultations, you get the gist - anything longer than that is just patronising.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3804079 - 02/19/05 07:33 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Edited by Enter (02/19/05 09:01 PM)

OfflinePeyoteZen
Russian Agent
Male User Gallery

Loc: White House
Re: OCD [Re: World Spirit]
    #3804466 - 02/19/05 09:44 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Coincidentally, mushrooms offer a great deal for those suffering OCD.
I read a research report from Arizona State U.  It tested psilocybin on OCD patients and concluded positive results. :thumbup:
They originally got the idea to do the experiment  because various college kids reported "accidently" curing themselves of OCD, by using mushrooms recreationally.  :smirk:

--------------------
ISLAMIC MIGRANT CRIME WAVE COMING TO A GRANNSKAP NEAR YOU!

OfflineMoxemerald
Executive

Loc: NJ
Re: OCD [Re: PeyoteZen]
    #3805060 - 02/20/05 12:27 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I too have a mild case of ocd, and have had it all my life pretty much.
It's an odd case, where I always have to scan over everything in my room, and I'm very aware of it. It is quite annoying, so I can sympathize.

Does anyone know if OCD gets gradually worse if not treated or taken care of?

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
Re: OCD [Re: Moxemerald]
    #3805422 - 02/20/05 02:14 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, i think it usually gets worse. well, at least with me it certainly did.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinebugfungii24
Stranger
    #3805819 - 02/20/05 04:49 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

PeyoteZen said:
I read a research report from Arizona State U.  It tested psilocybin on OCD patients and concluded positive results. :thumbup:
They originally got the idea to do the experiment  because various college kids reported "accidently" curing themselves of OCD, by using mushrooms recreationally.  :smirk:

Really? That's awesome! What sort of Obsessions/compulsions? :ooo:

I'm diagnosed with OCD too. But I obsess over topics of interest, and when it runs it's course and I find a new interest, I obsess over that.
Never are thing's complete. Sometimes it's because the projects are just too big, and sometimes it's because I obsess over too many fine details.
Sometimes I return to past interests, if I think it's appropriate for the present.

SSRI's are pretty good for OCD if you find the right one for you...I found paroxetine pretty good for OCD, except I did nothing at all, and I missed having passions etc.
I'm much happier on Zoloft...I still obsess, but I spend a lot less time doing it.

I don't like the risk of long-term movement disorders with SSRI's. :thumbdown:

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #3806539 - 02/20/05 02:00 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

university of arizona, not arizona state....but ya, what a wonderful little study that is :thumbup:

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

OfflineFade_To_Black
Fire It Up

Folding@home Statistics
Re: OCD [Re: wrestler_az]
    #3861283 - 03/03/05 06:47 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I let her read this thread, so maybe this will help her come to terms with the fact that she isnt alone on this one.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #3862480 - 03/03/05 03:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well, you're either dipping your foot in the water testing how cold it is (psychotherapy), or you have the balls/gusto to jump right into it (the issue at hand, and subsequently getting over a fear). Dunno, tell them to camping and/or take a mud bath, just need to fool the mind into thinking diferently about the situation, not drug it.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #3867760 - 03/04/05 02:46 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Every time we humans do something we have an increasing tendency to do that something again. Each time we repeat it, that tendency increases until it becomes a habit. Over time the habit can become a compulsion. It's like playing a record and each time you repeat the behavior the stylus digs a deeper and deeper groove until finally it can't hop out of the groove on its own. You have to consciously lift the stylus out each time it does that. I realize this is easier said than done, but that's how it is when habits become compulsions.

Unconscious behaviors made it get that way, and the solution is more conscious awareness and a buttload of will. It took a lot of time and energy to get that way. It will take an equal amount of time and energy to reverse the process.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Offlinekarubeer
Stranger
Re: OCD [Re: Jellric]
    #4816490 - 10/17/05 04:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Edited by karubeer (10/17/05 04:50 PM)

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery
Re: OCD [Re: bugfungii24]
    #4816807 - 10/17/05 06:01 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bugfungii24 said:
Quote:

PeyoteZen said:

Really? That's awesome! What sort of Obsessions/compulsions? :ooo:

I'm diagnosed with OCD too. But I obsess over topics of interest, and when it runs it's course and I find a new interest, I obsess over that.
Never are thing's complete. Sometimes it's because the projects are just too big, and sometimes it's because I obsess over too many fine details.
Sometimes I return to past interests, if I think it's appropriate for the present.

SSRI's are pretty good for OCD if you find the right one for you...I found paroxetine pretty good for OCD, except I did nothing at all, and I missed having passions etc.
I'm much happier on Zoloft...I still obsess, but I spend a lot less time doing it.

I don't like the risk of long-term movement disorders with SSRI's. :thumbdown:

heres a link for a consent form for the the arizona study...

http://www.maps.org/research/psilo/azconsent.html

about the man behind the resaerch...

http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v10n3/10336bry.html

heres another link on an actual study done...

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/156/7/1123

research continues in europe from what i understand...

peace

cateyes

Edited by cateyes (10/17/05 06:08 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Ayahuasca

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being