Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
W.O.R.K. is a four letter word!!!!!!!!
    #3800257 - 02/18/05 07:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i don't know how or if this relates to spiritual;ity but im sure y'all can philosophise about it.

im fuckin' pissed off (at myself mostly) for..well im not sure why exactly.

all i know is that by the time im done with work tonight which is supposed to be a 9.5 hour shift...i will have worked 65 hours this week! and im scheduled to work saturday and sunday 9.5 hours each. do the math 19+65=84 hours this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

sure the money would be nice but i make fuckin' minimum wage and uncle sam fucks me for around 22%. see tonight i was scheduled to work from 9-6:30 but instead im am working from 6:30-6:30.

"why dont you say no?" i simply can't...even if i could i wouldn't!? there aren't enough people to cover shifts so i have to be the one to cover  everyone elses asses. and if i had a chopice besides quitting i know i would just  say yes anyway because im a pussy and wont tell them no!

so........what the fuck???!?!?!?! is it me or does my work situation really suck ass? :confused: :jesus: :bitch:

--------------------
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are -Kurt Cobain

Hotter than the left sink handle.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: W.O.R.K. is a four letter word!!!!!!!! [Re: uriahchase]
    #3800580 - 02/18/05 08:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I been there and work sucked. I went back to college as a 35 year old, found my true calling (information technology), and got a job I enjoy being involved with that challenges me daily on an intellectual level. I hate to miss work now....funny thing is I get 10 sick days, 3 emergency days, and 2 personal days a year to take off paid, but I hate using them because I get summers off as well...paid. Find your path and walk it. It may not be easy to find, but once you find it the walking of it is easy.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: W.O.R.K. is a four letter word!!!!!!!! [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3802087 - 02/19/05 12:20 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

what's information technology? as in, what do you do in a day's work?

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#3802127 - 02/19/05 12:25 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

For minimum wage, yeah that really sucks ass.

The ideal work situation would be a few weeks on, a week off. But unfortunately for most people,they take on many obligations, some of which they don't even want, and they end up spending so much time at work that they have no time or energy for the things they want to do.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3802227 - 02/19/05 12:47 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3802352 - 02/19/05 01:28 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

here's an intereting essay: abolition of work

I do not necessarily agree with black (if at all)
but it is an interesting and revelent read.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: W.O.R.K. is a four letter word!!!!!!!! [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3802432 - 02/19/05 02:37 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
Repent! Quit your job! Slack off! You have been driven to the brink of insanity by the CONspiracy! :wink:

"All you need is SLACK, slack
Slack is all you need"
- Beatles for "Bob"

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3803381 - 02/19/05 01:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Its you.

Most jobs will try and get as many hours out of yer as they can, unless they think you're a shit worker or you give them shit when they ask.

The answer is to put up resistance. You don't have to be unfriendly but stop accepting crazy hours you don't want. Don't come up with excuses, just tell them straight that you don't need the money and you don't want extra time at work!

8-9 hours a day is enough for any man to be completing tasks that he doesn't want to do! I want a job thats 6 hours a day, that would be nice but it doesn't exist.

--------------------

Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Re: W.O.R.K. is a four letter word!!!!!!!! [Re: Ego Death]
    #3803417 - 02/19/05 01:44 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

no see...there are only 4 people who work there...either i work like 13 hour days and strill get 2 off or my boss has to work 15....it's complex but it ends up with the other people switchin' who works extra and im always the other one that has to too. basically....i work dem hours or..i don't work. it sux

--------------------
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are -Kurt Cobain

Hotter than the left sink handle.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #3803555 - 02/19/05 02:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The classic is when the work load demands overtime of a lot of the people working there, but the corporation makes a strong effort to prevent people from accumulating overtime, so at the same time they say "No overtime! Kill all of your overtime!" with the threat of it counting agansit you if you do end up with overtime, the assistant managers will bug the fuck out of you to stay late and get everything done..... this is right after they put a hiring freeze after the Blitz sales because the Blitz merchandise was nothing special and was actually at "Everyday Low Prices":rolleyes:

And, of course, I'm one of the few with my walker stacker license and actually am committed to doing an excellent job (not to mention I come in an hour later than most do, as a few of us do), so I was always stuck there in the Christmas season horror in the back room, trying to get everything done, dealing with other people's shit that they didn't finish, all while still trying to deal with all of my overstocked Pets merchandise...... Anytime me and the assistant manager spoke of killing my overtime that night, I would end up accumulating much more, so we just didn't speak of it.... besides, my ass was covered because if it wasn't for me, she'd be the one stuck there until like fucking noon or something doing it all.... :smirk:

I love my job, but its a lot of fucking hard work, not to mention the bullshit one has to put up with (although we're secretely working to bypass some corrupt managers to put an end to it :evil:)... Its hard to fit being an aspiring musician (which ideally requires just as much time and effort, if not more), not to mention a full-time relationship (thank god we work together.... :shocked:), the Shroomery, and house and pet related stuff in there as well.... :nut:

Alas, it is necessary when one plays the game, and it would be impossible to fufill my many goals and live the life I wish to live without playing that unfortunate game.... I rarely get depressed about work and while caught up in the midst of getting everything done there, I sometimes find myself looking at my watch and wishing I had some more time before this next break to get more shit done.... which is the same thing I do while at home...  :grin:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: W.O.R.K. is a four letter word!!!!!!!! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #3805386 - 02/20/05 12:07 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This is my advice to you... FUCK THAT SHIT!!!!

Unless you actually need the money then you should NOT be working that much! Tell them to hire some new employees to help take some hours off of you!

This is what you do. Go up to them, all respectful and polite, and say "Hey, I know that this company depends on me a lot, but I feel like I'm being exploited. This job takes up too much of my time and is negatively affecting the rest of my life." And if they don't listen to that, then I'd start looking for a new job! Don't work for people who don't respect you.

Another idea; you could say "Lower my hours or I'm going to quit, then you'll have 84 hours a week that YOU DON'T HAVE EMPLOYEES TO COVER!" You don't actually have to mean it, but saying so would let them know you were serious! And they WOULD be fucked if you quit!

Good luck, and don't let the Man fuck you!

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: W.O.R.K. is a four letter word!!!!!!!! [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3805667 - 02/20/05 01:16 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I agree with Hue on this one. I worked as a waitress for a number of years (which I actually enjoyed), and then I cleaned houses for 12 years. I love what I do now and it is not work to me. I have been working all day today, from about noon until just now, or 12:15. I don't feel like I've been working. So first suggestion is go to school or find a job for which you like working long hours.

However, the other side of the coin is that SOMEBODY has to work the minimum wage jobs, and it isn't fair that you're being exploited. I agree with some of the suggestions above. Maybe just give them your schedule of the hours you can work, and then at the end of the shift, even if it's not covered cuz no one is showing up, tell them sorry, you have to leave, you wish you could stay to help, you love working there, but there is no other choice, you have to leave. They will learn to cover those shifts.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Jump to top Pages: 1