Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Importance of humidity and air exchange in an incubator.
    #3800366 - 02/18/05 07:29 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I am using a very large ice chest with a pickle jar heating system for my incubation chamber. While it is not completely air tight, there is not a lot of air flow due to the lid being closed. The only information I could find on humidity in incubator is that 50% + is good. Is that correct? Also, should i supply air exchange for my incubator? If so, i plan to place 6ft. of fish tank tubing along bottom of my icechest with holes poked thru every couple inches? Will that be sufficient? Thanks for any information.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelargosnook
2 glassesicewaddawiddice
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gettin' Lucky in Kentucky
Re: Importance of humidity and air exchange in an incubator. [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #3800384 - 02/18/05 07:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

the hose will be too much over board on it, its incubating so the air exchange and humidity are no where nears as improtant as the chamber. As long as your temps are optimal and maybe a little air is able to get in, your ok. No reason to have circulating air.

good Luck guy!

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Re: Importance of humidity and air exchange in an incubator. [Re: largosnook]
    #3800670 - 02/18/05 08:38 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

My temp is right at 82 degrees. My jars do get a little bit of air because I check on them a couple times a day because I am still somewhat of a beginner hehe. I also have the drain plug open on the bottom side and I stuffed a wad of polyfil in it. So they aren't in a vacuum. As for humidity, I have an open quart jar of heavy bleach water next to my pickle jar for some minimal humidity. It drops about an inch per week. Looks like I may have my incubator right then hehe.

--------------------

Offlinelargosnook
2 glassesicewaddawiddice
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gettin' Lucky in Kentucky
Re: Importance of humidity and air exchange in an incubator. [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #3800707 - 02/18/05 08:44 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yea, sounds good, the main thing on the incubator is the temp and no light. Humidity is not a factor, so , focus on keeping that temp steady and you'll be in business in no time.

What strain are you going for right now?

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #3800812 - 02/18/05 08:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It's better if you don't expose your jars to light every day, otherwise you might confuse the mycelium and trigger pinning while the cakes are still in the jars. You don't want the cakes to pin until after you've birthed them and/or cased them, though if it happens, it's not the end of the world.

I know it can be hell waiting for things to grow, but it's best to try and forget about them and check on them every few days.

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Re: Importance of humidity and air exchange in an incubator. [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3801154 - 02/18/05 09:57 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have been doing everything with some spore prints of some Thai variety. I also have an Eq print and a Malabar print. But I wanted to get a little more experience before I started with those. I also ordered some this week from Sporesdirect. Blue Meanies, Orissa India, and PESA.

I have only been doing it a month so I know I check more than I should in the incubator. But I have a lot of different growth mediums going atm(wbs, popcorn, brf, oatmeal, lima beans, whole wheat flour, soy flour, liquid mycelium, and some tupperware experiments), so I want to see how they are doing. I really like the hobby aspect of messing around and trying new stuff hehe.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds