Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
floaties
    #3798244 - 02/18/05 12:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i prepared a 1 qt honey jar in the microwave. i likely drizzled about 2 tbls of honey in the water--i didn't measure because i'm frustrated and impatient with this "hobby". i nuked it for 6 minutes and then put it in the fridge to cool down for awhile. oh, i covered it with 2 or 3 layers of tyvek and a rubber band. when it came out it was a little cloudy. i thought, "eh, whatever." injected it with about 2.5 cc of B+.

so my question is, what does a carmelized jar look like? or rather, what are all these little white floaties in my jar? for the most part, they settle to the bottom. they don't really look like the white fluffy cloud people say you want in a liquid jar...but i dunno. how would microwaving for 6 minutes carmelize the honey? it's a weak microwave too. this was all done last saturday and it's been incubating at a steady mid 80's TiT.

for real, i can't do anything right when it comes to this freakin mycological pursuit. fie, defiant mushrooms!

when a jar starts to colonize, does it look like mold without the green? i've got 1 rye jar that i inoculated with spores last saturday, and last night i noticed a spot the size of a nickel on one jar that was white and fuzzy. i didn't want to get too close for fear of spreading my bad karma. hell, i'd even take a moldy contaminated jar. at least that'd be SOMETHING, which is better than the nothing i've accumulated since i began this failingly terrific endeavor.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: floaties [Re: laughingbuddha]
    #3798582 - 02/18/05 01:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

laughingbuddha said:
i didn't measure because i'm frustrated and impatient with this "hobby".

I think there is a reason behind your failure. Trying to take shortcuts because you are impatient is not the way to go. Patience is one thing you must never be short of in this hobby.

The floaties you describe in the liquid culture sounds like mycelium, but it may also be contaminants. There really is no way to tell unless you inoculate jars, or get lucky and it sporulates on the surface of the honey water (in the case of a mold). The rye jar sounds good. Keep an eye on it and it should colonize in a week or two. Wait for the "nickel" sized piece of mycelium to get about quarter sized, then shake the jar up real good...

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: floaties [Re: ATWAR]
    #3798608 - 02/18/05 01:27 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ATWAR said:

Quote:

laughingbuddha said:
i didn't measure because i'm frustrated and impatient with this "hobby".

I think there is a reason behind your failure. Trying to take shortcuts because you are impatient is not the way to go. Patience is one thing you must never be short of in this hobby.

uh huh

You need to have alot of patience with this hobby.

Taking short cuts and not following teks is bound to lead to failure...unless you are experimenting, and then you take the risk of failure to succeed.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Re: floaties [Re: Roadkill]
    #3798722 - 02/18/05 01:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

thanks. perhaps i should've wrote "frustrated and exasperated" instead of "impatient;" my pain is more of a scratch-my-head, wonder wtf am i doing wrong, i have no idea what else to do or try to get past stage freaking 1 (incubation), kind of feeling. i could've driven to florida and picked nature-grown shrooms and driven back in the time i've spent "trying." oh well--hopefully my delicious floaties won't turn out to be poisonous hell spores.

but on the topic of the floaties, they DO seem to look like little white fluffy specks--it's just not the dense cloud i've seen in pictures of liquid cultures. i'll have to sterilize a syringe and shoot up a jar or two or three thousand. would shooting a bunch of this liquid innoculant into a jar that's already been shot up with spores increase the speed of colonization? i'm just wondering cause i've got some jars that don't seem to be doing anything (as usual).

be positive, and positive things will happen to you!

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3798750 - 02/18/05 02:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

your jars water content might be thrown off by adding more inoculant to them now...too much water = very long colonization times/to no colonization and also contam problems.

how many days has it been since you inoculated with the spore syringe?

--------------------
Laterz, Road

You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

#3798763 - 02/18/05 02:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

6 days ago i shot up three jars. only 1 is showing any signs, that with the nickel sized mold/mycelium fuzz. i have heard fables and tales of people waiting several weeks for any signs of colonization in a grain jar whatsoever. that seems...undesirable. if it takes that long to colonize, it is my understanding that the strain will be weak and easily prone to contamination. in other words, it will be more difficult to work with. in your opinion, what would you say about the fuzzy white floaties?

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3798818 - 02/18/05 02:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

6 days isn't long to wait for spores to germinate.

sometimes they take longer...just wait it out and have a little patience.

mycelium floating in a honey water or Karo water will look like small white floaties when it first starts...lolzz
I can't believe I just said that.
Thats like saying the foot petal on a car is a whatcha ma call it.

I have some Karo water going now...I'll come back and post a few pictures for you.
be back in a few minutes.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Brainiac said:

Edited by Roadkill (02/18/05 03:22 PM)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3799129 - 02/18/05 03:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It's hard to take pictures of mycelium starting in a Karo water jar...but I tried.

Elephant Gate strain...spores germinated and mycelium staring to grow.

And here are some pictures of the Elephant Gate strain...the mycelium has grown out and is ready to be used.

A huge clump of mycelium...this is what you want.

Close up of the clump of mycelium.

I put a marble in the Karo water before I pressure cook the jars...so I can break up the mycelium good.
This picture shows the mycelium broken up...I'll break it up even more before making mycelium syringes.

Good luck!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Brainiac said:

Edited by Roadkill (02/18/05 03:23 PM)

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

#3799591 - 02/18/05 05:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

so do the floaties fall to the bottom until they're shook up? i could see where the floaties in my jar could become a mycelium network if they converged and joined one another. in your pictures the mycelium looks like it's floating in the water. i'd post a pic if had a camera...maybe later tonight or tomorrow. the big question is: if the white floaties sink to the bottom and sit there until shaken, are they the beginning of a mycelium culture? or are they carmalized sugars?

--------------------

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

#3811172 - 02/21/05 01:32 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

hey hey hey now! not that anyone cares, but i checked my honey jar last night and it seemed that the floaties had converged into a thicker network of floaties; that is, it looked quite cloudlike. the cloud floaties still settle on the bottom, but i'm taking that as the result of their superior potency, weighing them down. alright, that's a lie. but it did look much more like a mycelium culture than just a bunch of random white floaties. cool! now if i could only get the rye preparation right...

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3811236 - 02/21/05 01:47 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

cool..glad your floaties are doing well.

I care...I really do.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Brainiac said:

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

#3811250 - 02/21/05 01:50 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yes...i believe you. i really do.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale