Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Bone fungus?
    #3798363 - 02/18/05 02:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm looking for a species of fungus that can assimilate Calcium Phosphate, which is a major constituent of bone.

It doesn't need to be a fruiting fungus, but that would be neat to see. Studying the properties of the fruitbody could be useful.

Calcium Phosphate and chitosan are used to make medical bioceramics. I'm interested in using it as engineering material.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Bone fungus? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3798702 - 02/18/05 03:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hebeloma syriense may be of interest. It is called the "Corpse Finder" because it fruits from dead bodies. I don't know if it metabolizes bone.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bone fungus? [Re: shroomydan]
    #3799192 - 02/18/05 05:45 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

This is interesting

Calcium phosphate coating over phosphorylated derivatives of chitin/chitosan material was produced by a process based on phosphorylation, Ca(OH)2 treatment and SBF (simulated body fluid solution) immersion. Chitin/chitosan phosphorylated using urea and H3PO4 and then soaked in saturated Ca(OH)2 solution at ambient temperature, which lead to the formation of thin coatings formed by partial hydrolysis of the PO4 functionalities, were found to stimulate the growth of a calcium phosphate coating on their surfaces after soaking in 1.5 ? SBF solution for as little as one day. The Ca(OH)2 treatment facilitates the formation of a calcium phosphate precursor over the phosphorylated chitin/chitosan, which in turn encourages the growth of a calcium deficient apatite coating over the surface upon immersion in SBF solution. The bio-compatibility of calcium phosphate compound?chitin/chitosan composite materials was evaluated by cell culture test using L-929 cells. The initial anchoring ratio and the adhesive strength of L-929 cells for composites was higher than that for the polystyrene disk (LUX, control). The results of in-vitro evaluation suggested that the calcium phosphate?chitin/chitosan composite materials were suitable for cell carrier materials.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3803141 - 02/19/05 02:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hi Baby_Hitler,

I ask me colleague Dr. Tjakko Stijve about this. He studies trace elements in fungi for Nestrles for forty years and did much research on the chemicals in Psilocybes.,

Here is what he wrote to me aboutthis.

mj

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Generally speaking, higher fungi only contain low levels of calcium. Levels are particularly low in Amanitaceae, Russulaceae and Puffballs. It is lowest in gills and pores, and highest in stems.
Higher amounts have been reported for Polyporaceae, e.g. in Trametes suaveolens and in the notorious Merulius lacrymans. But I doubt that it wd be present as calcium phosphate, oxalate is more likely. Phosphate in mushrooms is mostly present as the potassium salt, and heavy metals (at far lower concentrations) are often bound as complex phosphates.

Your correspondent may bear in mind that calcium in mushrooms has no dietetic or nutrional interest. Most vegetables contain 10 times more Ca than edible fungi.
A well-known and good source of calcium phosphate is cheese.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bone fungus? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3803234 - 02/19/05 02:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I did find a few articles mentioning Calcium Oxalate in fungi, particularly involving bioremediation of strontium, which is chemically similar to Calcium.

I find it curious that no known mushroom uses Chitin or Chitosan to form a biocement like crabs and molluscs use for their shells.

I also found an article where someone was suggesting growing human skin cells on a fiberous paperlike substrate made from, get this, just some mycelium grown in liquid culture filtered out through a porus surface.

This is the same basic procedure as making homemade paper using something that many members here have sitting around on a shelf somewhere.

Chances are it's not the same species, but it could just as easily be.

For that matter, who knows?

Some Psilocybe species may be an ideal substrate for growing nerve cells. :wink:

Here's a link to the article:

http://fungus.org.uk/nwfg/woundnw.htm

--------------------

Edited by Baby_Hitler (02/19/05 02:44 PM)

Invisiblekoraks
    #3806001 - 02/20/05 08:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Some Psilocybe species may be an ideal substrate for growing nerve cells. :wink:

"How long have you been tripping?"
-"Since I was cloned."
Sounds promising, carry on :laugh:

Interesting topic btw, but Dr. Stijve's reply doesn't sem very promising, does it? I mean, given the low ca content of mushrooms in general, I doubt if mushrooms (or mycelium) would provide a suitable material for your purposes. Maybe you could consider using cheese instead...

Could you inform us a bit more on what you're exactly planning to do, or is it impossible/unwise to disclose that kind of information at this time?

Offlineivi
 User Gallery

#3806006 - 02/20/05 08:05 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

That's an interesting article. Thanks for the link :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bone fungus? [Re: koraks]
    #3806032 - 02/20/05 08:42 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Actually, he said that calcium content was high in polypores which are very hard, long lived mushrooms. There is a pretty good chance that some of them are partially reinforced by something similar to what crabs and mollusks do.

I'm just investigating the possibility of producing some kind of engineered mushroom substrate that can be colonized by some species or combination of species which will harden enough to be used for making things out of.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification