Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Any hydrologists? Properties of water and air...
    #3798125 - 02/18/05 01:31 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I had a theory, it has to do with ultrasonic foggers. My theory is that the temperature of the water will have a great effect on the temperature of the air. Can anyone tell me if this is wrong, perhaps tell me a bit about the properties of water and air?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineoffmyrocker
Stranger
Loc: milkyway
Re: Any hydrologists? Properties of water and air... [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3803016 - 02/19/05 01:03 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, water can effect air temperature signifigantly. Water and air have very similar behaviours; sinking/rising w/temp differences, and in flow characteristics.

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Any hydrologists? Properties of water and air... [Re: offmyrocker]
    #3805536 - 02/20/05 02:39 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hi there YidakiMan. You don't need a "hydrologist" to answer this question for you!

In an isolated system at thermal equilibrium, everything will be at the same temperature. The reason it doesn't feel that way is due to the thermal conductivity of the material. That being said, the reason we may stick our hands into a hot oven without getting burnt if we don't touch anything, and the same reason that we do get burnt if we touch the metal tray in the oven is because metal and air have different thermal conductivities. As a result, you will find that air is a very good thermal insulator: heat does not travel very well in air. (This is also the reason why clothes make us warm. They trap a layer of air in between the cloth and our skin.)

I speculate that what you're trying to do is make the water in the fogger 85?F, therefore making the air 85?F, and therefore making whatever you want in that environment 85?F. Theoretically, everything will be at 85?F if the proper conditions are met, even if it doesn't feel that way.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Any hydrologists? Properties of water and air... [Re: daba]
    #3806132 - 02/20/05 10:28 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Your right on with your speculation. I wasn't planning on doing much heating but essentially an entirely automated environmental control system. I figured heating would best be done with steam pumped into a mixing box. I had hoped that I could add cooler water to the ultrasonic tank and cool the air. My hope is that this system could control a Martha type setup, or a 12'x40 greenhouse or a 30x150 ft mushroom grow house.

I was talking to my friend about this, not a scientist, but a computer guy. He says we could design a control system that would add hot water to subtly get warmer, add steam to get warmer, pump cold water in to get colder. It could also mess with the ratio of recirculated air/outside air based upon outside air temperatures. I had also figured that I could isolate the discs on the fogger and the unit could turn on as many or as few disks as necessary for the preset humidity level.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

General Interest >> Science and Technology