Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCrazyBusiness
Stranger thanyou think
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs.
Pine mushrooms
    #3797034 - 02/18/05 02:46 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Anyone hunt Pine mushrooms? Japanese delicacies.. I used to live in one of the hotspots (Boston Bar, BC) for these babies, and made damned good money picking them annually in the Fall. Supposedly untamable and impossible to cultivate, I've seen the prices go past $100 a pound, on the mountain.

--------------------
...in my opinion

Life's too short, man.. Life's too short. Dont hate me, and I wont put space between us. Dont lie to me, and I wont dislike you. Keep an open mind, and I'll love you.

My advice of the week(do this, you'll like it): listen to Mahogany Rush.

Representing Beatiful British Columbian classic dank. Just think, Columbia for coke, British Columbia for buds. truth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJoops
Stranger
Re: Pine mushrooms [Re: CrazyBusiness]
    #3797079 - 02/18/05 02:59 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Edit **No Flaming in this forum**

Edited by shroomydan (02/18/05 07:06 AM)

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Pine mushrooms [Re: Joops]
    #3797685 - 02/18/05 09:26 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Holy crosspost Batman.
But anyway.
As you probably know, Pine Mushrooms, or Matsutake, Tricholoma magnivelare, is a mycorhizzal fungi. This means it exists in the wild solely in symbiosis with plants, as far as we know. Specifically with the Ponderosa pine out west and the Jack Pine in the northern Midwest. Very little success has been had growing mycorhizzal mushrooms. There has been little success with invitro chantrelles. The researchers responsible used something like a very high tech hydro setup for this.

There is a company that sells trees claimed to be inoculated with truffle fungus. They claim to inoculate the seedlings by placing sporocarp underground near the roots. I plan on testing this practice this fall or next year after I have a suitable number of bonsai.

So to some it all up. there is little hope for an amateur to grow pine mushrooms. But if you want, you could place gill fragments in and around the root structure of bonsai pines and cross your fingers. (I would start with Jack Pine or Ponderosa pine)

OfflineCrazyBusiness
Stranger thanyou think
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs.
Re: Pine mushrooms [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3799165 - 02/18/05 03:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

So it is as I expected, and as generally known around the picking grounds. The mushrooms are dependant on the trees. What about cultivation at their natural location? I have thought about this, and discussed it with some of the pickers. Patches of the mushrooms appear in the same places year after year, and flushes are subject to weather patterns. What if one were to pack some supplies up the mountain and, er, "optimize" conditions for an existing patch, supplying nutrients, water, etc, even spreading spores..

--------------------
...in my opinion

Life's too short, man.. Life's too short. Dont hate me, and I wont put space between us. Dont lie to me, and I wont dislike you. Keep an open mind, and I'll love you.

My advice of the week(do this, you'll like it): listen to Mahogany Rush.

Representing Beatiful British Columbian classic dank. Just think, Columbia for coke, British Columbia for buds. truth

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pine mushrooms [Re: CrazyBusiness]
    #3799321 - 02/18/05 04:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The main reason that patches appear in the same location year after year is that it's the same organism fruiting each year, much like an apple tree will produce apples most years. Helping a patch by providing nutrients that are lacking might make things better or worse. Each of the trees has several species of fungi living in a symbiotic relationship with it. If you change the content of the soil under the tree you may cause a different fungus to become relatively dominant. In other words, you might try to fertilize the matsutake and end up producing bumper crops of some Cortinarius species.

It sounds like an interesting experiment. For it to be really useful you would probably need to try fertilizing lots of different patches in controlled ways, as well as keeping several patches untouched. Then monitor to see what the effects of each change are relative to the other patches.

Given the quantities of matsutake that come up each year, it's probably more economically feasible to hunt down more matsutake patches.

If you're really serious about trying it, try contacting some mycologists at nearby colleges or universities. You might be able to get some grant money to help fund such a study. You would certainly get some good advice from the professionals on things to try and things to not waste your time trying.

Good luck, and let us know if it works!

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck