Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineunGratefulAlive
Stranger
psych evaluation?
    #3796196 - 02/18/05 01:01 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

How much does it cost to go to a psychologist and get an evaluation? What will they test for, how will they test, how long does it take?

Thanks for any info/help

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBloodNOil
Captain Zeep
 User Gallery
Re: psych evaluation? [Re: unGratefulAlive]
    #3796228 - 02/18/05 01:08 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

you could always open up a phone book and call peoples' offices.

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

OfflineunGratefulAlive
Stranger
Re: psych evaluation? [Re: BloodNOil]
    #3796263 - 02/18/05 01:13 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

There's always an alternative solution. But this is a discussin forum, why not make use of it? Plus it's more practical for me just to ask here, instead of having to get off my ass and look all that mess up. (and it's late, they're closed, i could get an answer now instead of tommmorow)

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #3796340 - 02/18/05 01:25 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well... tho the psychological field has come a long way since the days of routine lobotomy's, and electroshock therapy, it is still somewhat of a.. whats the word I'm looking for? Crap. I dunno.
You will meet a person who specializes in YOUR mind. They will talk with you. Make you want to talk with, and trust them. Talk with you some more. Than they will look in they're book, and find whatever desease, that your problems fit closest to, and give you some sourt of drug to make it all go away. Just a little pill, to cure all your problems.

Mabey i'm just cynical, but I've been all through the mental health field. Countless psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors, pharmacists, drugs, group therapy's (gag). And you know what? none of them helped me.
Quite the contrary, while it was nice talking with some of these people. its always been better and more productive to confide in my friends. In fact i'v had many "doctors" break my confidentiality, the thing held so sacred in the psychiatric feild.
One tried to have my drug use send me to prison. No shit.Another took all my most private letters to my girlfriend, read, and disposed of them.
the anti-depressants, not only numbed my depression but all my emotions equally. Turning me into a Zombie.
But alot of people i met in the world of mental health, were really nice people who were just trying to help others. And did a good job of it. So if you'v got some problems they might be the way to go.
All my major shit went away from eating mushrooms, and meditating on myself.

--------------------

OfflineunGratefulAlive
Stranger
Re: psych evaluation? [Re: Dreamer987]
    #3796388 - 02/18/05 01:31 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

hehe, dreamweaver i greatly appreciate the amount of thought and effort you put into your post warning me of the psychology field, i agree completely

i am merely wanting to do this out of curiosity, not to actually seek help

i rely on myself for helping me :smile:

cheers mate

OfflineBloodNOil
Captain Zeep
 User Gallery
    #3796814 - 02/18/05 03:15 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

meant to edit that with a disclaimer, but it didn't work... didn't mean to come off as hostile.

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: psych evaluation? [Re: BloodNOil]
    #3801280 - 02/19/05 12:15 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I took an extensive psych eval a few years ago. It was required for a position I was applying for. The first thing I told the doctor was that I was not going to reveal anything that he could use against me, and I informed him that I was going to beat his tests. The only diagnosis I was shooting for was normal-sane.

There where three written tests- all multiple choice, about 600 questions total. Then the doctor showed me a series of disturbing pictures and I had to tell a story about each picture. They were all cartoonish drawings that were fuzzy and rather vague. My favorite one was of a woman kneeling on the floor and slumped over what looked like a church pew, her head down and face covered by her hands. There was what appeared to be a hand gun lying on the floor beside her. I said that she had just shot someone and was crying in quilt over what she had done. The Doc asked me who she shot and I replied "Her Psychiatrist." :evil:
He also asked me questions about my childhood. It took about four hours to complete. I'm not sure how much it cost.
I passed the test. He never suspected that I was a shroom munching pot head. :grin:

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: psych evaluation? [Re: shroomydan]
    #3802788 - 02/19/05 10:43 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I've been to a psychologist and psychiatrist, and neither of them gave me any test. The psychiatrist listened to me speak for less than 5 minutes and gave me Lexapro.

However, I had a friend who went to see some phsyciatrists at a hospital who gave him numerous, "rigorous" tests. Apparently the end result showed him to be ADD, OCD, dislexic, SAD, et cetera; he's also the type of person who seems to enjoy appearing as "fucked up" as possible for attention, so his credibility is rather questionable.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Edited by SocietyRejects (02/19/05 10:45 AM)

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: psych evaluation? [Re: Society]
    #3802878 - 02/19/05 11:49 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I don't understand... so psychiatrists don't do their job anymore? They just diagnose made-up diseases and hand out prescriptions? Wasn't there ever a time when psychiatrists took the time to sit with a patient and pick his mind to get to the root of the problem without drugs?

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #3802915 - 02/19/05 12:25 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Shroomydan, those are not fail/pass sort of tests, they're personality inventories/profiles. They don't measure your drug use. No test can, because the tests are not lie detectors. Their purpose is to screen possible mental issues and give a profile of your personality so your employer can pick the person with the best personality for the job.

(I am a psychologist)

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: psych evaluation? [Re: ummikko]
    #3803128 - 02/19/05 01:55 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I know what your saying, but the reality is if you fail the test you don't get the job, and there are lots of lie detectors built into those personality inventories. They ask the same question multiple times and if you don't answer it the same way every time, then they know you are lieing. Its a big game really, and like all games it can be won or lost.

(I am a philosopher) :wink:

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #3803458 - 02/19/05 04:01 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

:grin:
They're really not actual lie detectors, its more about seeing if you're paying attention or just checking the boxes at random...
What I'm saying is that after you've completed the test there's really no way to know if you've answered thruthfully. (At least not by the test alone, test+interview is a different matter.)
They're just not that advanced.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: psych evaluation? [Re: ummikko]
    #3803711 - 02/19/05 05:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It's times like this that I am reminded that the government knows almost everything and is just putting humans to the social test to help develope the most prosperous socio-politico economic system.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being