Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
There are **NO** Dualities or Polar Opposites in Emotions.....
    #3795866 - 02/17/05 09:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

There are **NO** Dualities or Polar Opposites in Emotions.....

It is said that Confidence or even Faith can overcome Fear....  Or even that Love can overcome Hate, but are they really opposites....? 

I just don't think so....    :noway:

I have been really curious about emotions on a deeper level lately(pardon the pun), and kind of *see it* in my head that there are NO true polar dualities in emotions at all....  For each emotion has a "span" of "feelings" attached to them....  I *see it* like this, emotions are like overlapping fuzzy pieces of pie....  Some emotions simply share some of the same qualities of their "neighboring" emotions.... 

I *think* people like to use dualities in emotion to make it simple, or perhaps to sound "cool" with twisting the words in a way (I do it myself in an intended creative way sometimes :tongue: )....  Whereas I don't think it is as simple as people seem to think it is.... 

People say OFTEN (No, not all people):
Love is the Opposite of Hate....
That is like saying that a Banana and a Plum are polar opposites....  :rolleyes:

So, what is Kindness as compared to Hate....?
Or, what is Compassion as compared to Hate....?
Or Caring as compared to Hate....?  Or Nurturing....?  Etc. etc....

Too many overlapping meanings in the "feelings" to be "polar"....  It is just too 2-Dimensional of a way of thinking (****TO ME****)....  Emotions are just not cut and dry like that.... 

Is there any good books that go in depth about human "emotions" and their meanings (besides the Bible)....?    I find the topic fascinating, but have never actually went looking for a book about it....  Any recommendations....?

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: There are **NO** Dualities or Polar Opposites in Emotions..... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3796267 - 02/17/05 11:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well, your taking a rather narrow view of things Tomcat.

Polar opposites always exist on a continuum, ONE continuum. The positive and negative poles of a magnet are on opposite ends of the continuum which is the magnet, and likewise the north and the south poles of the earth are continuous with one anther though the core.
So when you say that the emotions of love and hate are the same thing, you are right in a sense because they both exist on the same emotional continuum, but you are incorrect in saying that they are the same because they are polar opposites on that continuum.

The emotions of love and hate are both the same and opposite.
**To escape duality you need the 'both and'**

Quote:

People say OFTEN (No, not all people):
Love is the Opposite of Hate....
That is like saying that a Banana and a Plum are polar opposites....

So, what is Kindness as compared to Hate....?
Or, what is Compassion as compared to Hate....?
Or Caring as compared to Hate....? Or Nurturing....? Etc. etc....

Your problem here is that you are viewing love and hate as merely emotions, when they in fact are dispositions towards action. MarkostheGnostic mentioned the theological virtue of love in another thread. This virtue has historically been translated as 'Charity' rather than love, for charity implies the disposition to aid which is the opposite of hate which is a disposition to harm.

Charity can be seen as the polar opposite of hate along the continuum of disposition toward others. It fits there more more accurately than love because it encompasses and includes all the other things which you mentioned as possible opposites, kindness, compassion, etc.

The book you need to read is the Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle. It is available for free here.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start...html&e=8092

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: There are **NO** Dualities or Polar Opposites in Emotions..... [Re: shroomydan]
    #3796557 - 02/17/05 11:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

When you are talking about kindness, compassion and nurturing these are all qualities of love...

variations of a theme.....

Like anger, resentment and jealousy are all qualities of hate.

Emotions either come from a positive(love) point of view or a negative(hate) pov.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: There are **NO** Dualities or Polar Opposites in Emotions..... [Re: shroomydan]
    #3796575 - 02/18/05 12:00 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

So when you say that the emotions of love and hate are the same thing, you are right in a sense because they both exist on the same emotional continuum, but you are incorrect in saying that they are the same because they are polar opposites on that continuum.

No, I am not saying that love and hate are one in the same in that respect....  That is not what I meant....  I do see positive and negative emotions - in that polar sense....  But to specify an exact "NORTH" and "south" as being complete and equal opposites within an emotion would be impossible....  *I think*.... 

Let me try to better explain my thoughts....
If you lined up all of the "NORTH"="good" and "south"="BAD" emotions, all of the "NORTH" emotions would seem to overlap in definition (or pehaps sharing an arm?) as you went across the spectrum of emotions - from one end to the other (perhaps circular?)....  The same would be for the "southern" emotions....  BUT, *I don't think* you can just draw straight lines of polar opposites from the "NORTH" side to the "south" side....  That was my "thought process" and meaning behind this "idea" of mine....

Quote:

Your problem here is that you are viewing love and hate as merely emotions, when they in fact are dispositions towards action. MarkostheGnostic mentioned the theological virtue of love in another thread. This virtue has historically been translated as 'Charity' rather than love, for charity implies the disposition to aid which is the opposite of hate which is a disposition to harm.

Not always the case....  I can better offer my thoughts on this thru a simple example.... 

If someone in my family had cancer, I can easily say that I would have MUCH HATRED for that cancer - specifically the cancer hurting that family member (very focused)....  I would surely kill it if i could....  Honestly....  BUT, is this a disposition to harm...?  I don't see it as a disposition for harm at all, not in the way you have simplified it anyway....  I *could* say the exact opposite and say that my ANGERED HATRED would be my cause for a disposition to give aid.....  .... . But in this particular case, it would be my LOVE that would be the cause for the disposition to that aid....    But I sure as hell would still have a hatred for the cancer....

I am not discrediting everything you have said here, but I hope you more clearly see the reasoning/intents behind my thoughts and/or ideas.... 

And I thank you for the link, I WILL be checking that out....  :smile:

>^;;^<

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: There are **NO** Dualities or Polar Opposites in Emotions..... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3796586 - 02/18/05 12:04 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

TomCat,

I'm with ya on that! Love is all there is and everything comes from it. Nurturing and caring are gradients of it as well is anger and fear and hate as you move into a point of perspective that is less aware of and in it's existence.

The more one shuts down the mind and heart and closes off , the less aware they are in it and can experience thoughts and emotions of fear and hate.

Dude, if you are moving into seeing beyond duality then you are cooking!

Complimentary contrasts are where the ease of life is at. Conflicting opposites is where the struggles in life are at.

Gee, let me pick which one I want to be in? Ease? struggle? ease? struggle?

See what I mean? Things that come in two and one or the other just suck the struggle wad :crazy2:

Why order just a vanilla or chocolate when you can have a twin twist? Mmmmmm complimentary contrasts and no struggle decision making of choosing one or the other and missing out on both!

Shroomydan,

Often aiding others in the form of charity give aways can harm in the long run. That's why Jesus taught, "give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he eats forever. Typical Charity just perpetuates the strength of a few and the weakness of the many. There is harm to be found in it because it all comes from love and within love everything is found. :wink: :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: There are **NO** Dualities or Polar Opposites in Emotions..... [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3796707 - 02/18/05 12:42 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hot damn....!  I wanna~ comment and say something profound, but why....?  Nice touch....    :smile:

And the word "Gradients" is a MUCH better way to describe the "interconnectedness" within the spectrum of emotions....  :thumbup:

"Overlapping fuzzy pieces of pie"....  :shake:  PFFfffffffffffT...
(I was RIGHT THERE....)    :lol:

:heart:

>^;;^<

--------------------

>^;;^<

Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
    #3797483 - 02/18/05 07:42 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

it depends what feeling you have and how you would put it into words.

bob may say hye loves jane, but his feelings for jane aren't the same feelings john has when he says he loves sue.
love means________.
hate means________.
when i say i love you i mean_______.

ask 10 people to fill in the blank i bet that the answers vary quite differently

--------------------
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are -Kurt Cobain

Hotter than the left sink handle.

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: There are **NO** Dualities or Polar Opposites in Emotions..... [Re: uriahchase]
    #3797517 - 02/18/05 07:56 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If you observe your mind well, you discover where from and why all these emotional conflicts arise. So to speculate or try to fit them into well defined catagories in your mind is simply illogical, irrational and narrow minded.

Being open minded means in part to be observent of our own thoughts and emotions without judgement, then we can begin to discover how and why these emotions manifest, whether they appear to be positive or negative.

Language isnt a sufficeient medium to define emotions in that a feeling can never be described, only the symtoms of that feeling or emotion can be observed and defined from an external perspective.

--------------------

Edited by Sinbad (02/18/05 08:05 AM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3797538 - 02/18/05 08:11 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

> Love is the Opposite of Hate....

You are missing the point. Dualism isn't about polar opposites. Define love without using anything other than love. It cannot be done. (well, it can be done... zen koans, etc, but the definitions do not make 'normal' sense.) To define love, one has to use other "things" to make the definition... therefore love is bound by dualism.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #3797600 - 02/18/05 08:45 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Kindness, caring, compassion, that is all love

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #3797608 - 02/18/05 08:49 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

And how can you hate cances if the cancer is a part of the person it attacks? A cancer is an accident, nothing more

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: There are **NO** Dualities or Polar Opposites in Emotions..... [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3797613 - 02/18/05 08:51 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Often aiding others in the form of charity give aways can harm in the long run. That's why Jesus taught, "give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he eats forever. Typical Charity just perpetuates the strength of a few and the weakness of the many. There is harm to be found in it because it all comes from love and within love everything is found.

From the Merriam-Web dictionary
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=Charity&x=16&y=18

Quote:

Main Entry: char?i?ty
Pronunciation: 'char-&-tE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
Etymology: Middle English charite, from Old French charit?, from Late Latin caritat-, caritas Christian love, from Latin, dearness, from carus dear; akin to Old Irish carae friend, Sanskrit kAma love
1 : benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity
2 a : generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering; also : aid given to those in need b : an institution engaged in relief of the poor c : public provision for the relief of the needy
3 a : a gift for public benevolent purposes b : an institution (as a hospital) founded by such a gift
4 : lenient judgment of others
synonym see MERCY

Note definitions one and four, and the etymology.
Your concerns only apply to a very narrow definition of this word, one which I was trying to avoid. Thank you for the opportunity to clarify this. :thumbup:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: There are **NO** Dualities or Polar Opposites in Emotions..... [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #3797796 - 02/18/05 10:01 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

> Kindness, caring, compassion, that is all love

Those are all things done out of love, but they are not love, in the classical sense. Example, a nurse in a hospital might care for me and have a lot of compassion for me, but she would probably not claim to love me if asked.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3797838 - 02/18/05 10:13 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Shromydan, thanks for supporting my first reply to TomCat. You said the examples of charity being harmful were NARROW ones. That was my point!

When love, the only emotion- energy in motion, that exists becomes narrowed in experience in the mind and heart is when IT can become harmful.

Look at it as a gradient and what comes from it as the gradient narrows. This is a way of seeing the spectrum of love without polarising it. :wink: :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (02/18/05 10:51 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale