Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Missed casing opportunity... now I have a very uneven pinset.
    #3794027 - 02/17/05 05:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I just found a letter on the street.. this is what it said:

Hey all... I am working with a double tub method. I used rye, and spawned to straw and worm castings.

I was really busy around when casing time came and kept putting off casing when I needed to. By the time I went to do it I had a decent amount of pins already going.

So obviously I couldn't case then... but here is my question:

Now I have a really uneven maturationg rate... like only 6-7 shroomies reach maturation around the same time.

Should I:

a) Wait until the most mature ones over-mature a bit (to let more of the others reach maturity) and then clean the WHOLE thing off, INCLUDING pins, and then case?

I figure this will allow an even pinset for second flush.. but I am worried that once the pinning process is started casing is not an option. Can it still be done, or will pins still form under the casing and pretty much screw up the whole process?

b) Pick what has matured at any given time, simply harvesting several times as often as I would if I were to just get them all at once?

I am concerned that this option will up the likelihood of contams.

c) I am open to suggestions for fixing the situation. :smile:

Any thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Missed casing opportunity... now I have a very uneven pinset. [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3794297 - 02/17/05 06:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ya one let it take it's natural course. Next time try to do better. Heres the thing a nice even pinset will give you more shrooms per flush they will most likely be smaller in stature also. You can sprinkle a very light layer of casing mix over the areas that have been harvested and just let it go. The myc has put forth the energy to run that casing and you have already initiated your pinset, thats alot of energy that will have gone to waste if you recase it after the first flush. IME the time wasted will not make up for the yield lost and you'll end up at a loss. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Missed casing opportunity... now I have a very uneven pinset. [Re: hyphae]
    #3794576 - 02/17/05 07:22 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks a lot hyphae... this is my first grow, (yeah, call me rebel newb.. started on bulk. And they said it couldn't be done...) so I'm not too worried about yield. Heck, I picked the first like 6-8 fruits to mature so I could make some prints, and already I've got more than I know what to do with. :wink:

I'm gonna go with letting a few overmature, thereby getting a bunch of just barely mature fruits... then I'll go in there and clean out anything bigger than a few inches, and leave the rest.

Should I bother wetting the casing mix that I sprinkle into the spots I pick from?? Or just literally sprinkle some dry vermiculite in there?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation