Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Toads turning dogs into junkies
    #3793002 - 02/17/05 01:06 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Toads turning dogs into junkies
By Suellen Hinde
February 18, 2005

DOGS are licking the backs of cane toads to get high from a poison secreted from their glands, a Northern Territory vet has revealed.

And the dogs are becoming addicted to the hallucinogenic cane toad poison - bufo toxin.

Katherine vet Megan Pickering said yesterday she had seen many cases of dogs affected by the deadly toad poison.

"We have had quite a number of cases of dogs that are getting addicted to the toxin," she said.

"There seems to be dogs that are licking the toxin to get high.

"They lick the toads and only take in a small amount of the poison - they get a smile on their face and look like they are going to wander off into the sunset."

Cane toads have been in Katherine for three wet seasons.

And dogs, being dogs, have discovered that just a little lick of bufo toxin makes a dog's life shine brighter.

Ms Pickering has treated more than 30 dogs suffering from the deadly effects of bufo toxin at her Katherine Vet Care surgery.

She said there was no doubt after experiencing the effects of cane toad bufo toxin there were some bleary-eyed dogs "going back to have a second go".

"It seems some of them have tasted it in small doses but there are others that have had more toxin and come in fully-fitting.

"But (despite this) they go on to do it again and again - they seem to have worked it out."

Ms Pickering said the dogs were not developing a tolerance to the toxin but only ingesting small amounts.

"Larger doses would be fatal," she said.

NT Parks and Wildlife get more inquiries about safeguarding pets from the toad than on any other aspect.

They say the answer is to keep dogs and cats inside at night, warn and train them against tackling toads, and best of all keep toads out of your yard.

Ms Pickering said if a dog was suffering from cane toad poisoning - fitting, running in circles, with bright red gums and/or frothing at the mouth - wash its mouth out with water as quickly as possible.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: Toads turning dogs into junkies [Re: veggie]
    #3793114 - 02/17/05 01:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Officer, arrest this dog!

Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
Re: Toads turning dogs into junkies [Re: DNKYD]
    #3793185 - 02/17/05 01:51 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

When will the animals learn you have to milk the toads?

#3795227 - 02/17/05 10:11 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Oh my god! This is terrible! What will our children think when they see Rover going for his fix everyday? What will they think when they see his life deteriorating into a downward spiral because of these abusive drugs? What will they think when they see his hopes and dreams disappear into a mere shadow of his former self, and all he does is eat, sleep, and walk around the house?

Oh god, will someone please think of the children!!?

Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
Re: Toads turning dogs into junkies [Re: moog]
    #3795673 - 02/17/05 11:15 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Shit whats next? Hamsters throwing keg-parties? thats the most absurd thing ive ever heard of. Dogs licking toads to get high indeed.
*Milks pet toad*
yes. absolute rubbish.

Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3798631 - 02/18/05 03:32 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

That idea is as bad as the idiots who posted the sheep getting high on magic mushrooms and laying down int he roadways and paying no heed to the oncoming traffic story posted at the grapevine section of my website.

Dogs are playful animals and hopping critters attract the attention of both dogs and cats and they go after things that move. I really doubt that the dogs are licking toads for the toxin in their glands.

Dogs ahve died from such toxins in the Hawaiian cane toads.

only the buifo alvarius has a psychoactive chemical in them which is 5-meoDMT. The cane toads do not get anyone high and licking a toad can put a hman into the hospital.

I have seen dogs in hawaii bite at toads and rub their mouths intot he ground to try to rid them of the bitter toxins secreted by the toads.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service