Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Does anybody on this planet dig Killswitch Engage?
    #3788108 - 02/16/05 05:44 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

How did they become a semi-successful metal band? I don't understand. I think their sound, lyrics, guitar riffs, lead singer is corny as hell.

But I hear them all the time on satellite radio and occasionally read about them and I actually saw a dude wearing a Killswitch Tshirt yesterday! What gives? Is their a conspiracy to fill the metal world with lame choruses?

I've never met a fan or for that matter somebody that doesn't openly state their distaste for them....All to there own but I'm at a lost.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: Does anybody on this planet dig Killswitch Engage? [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3788703 - 02/16/05 12:02 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

kinda weird isn't it? how many people have you met who openly support George Bush? and yet he gets elected. must remember, we all surround ourselves with like-minded people

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
Re: Does anybody on this planet dig Killswitch Engage? [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3789656 - 02/16/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I have one of their cd's...Barely Breathing or something along those lines. It was ok. Then a million other bands started to do that exact sound. Whether they started that sound I don't know (nor care) but I swear, If I hear another "metal" band play what they think are "heavy" riffs with poor excuses for death metal growls right before the singer tries to put off an angelic clean voice for the chorus, I'm going to slap someone.

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #3789706 - 02/16/05 04:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

eh, they're ok i suppose, im not really into them though. i guess im more towards not liking them, but really i just dont care at all either way.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
Re: Does anybody on this planet dig Killswitch Engage? [Re: Locus]
    #3790321 - 02/16/05 07:03 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah Killswitch is pretty mediocre. Soilwork > Killswitch.

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3790611 - 02/16/05 07:50 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I like em', more so the music than the vocals....  It takes a long time to actually get to the chorus, but song #6 "Just barely Breathing" has one of the coolest guitar riffs....  The singing really does detract from it....  The second time thru the chorus, they go to half time half way thru....  I love the dynamic feel of it....  I like guitar harmonies, and I like the way they pull it off....  Would be interesting to hear the CD without any vocals at all....    I like "My Last Serenade" as well....  Different strokes for different folks....  I play guitar....  If a song has at least ONE good kikin guitar riff, it has value to me.... 

I usually don't care for too many of the "super screamer" bands, but the music of KillSwitch is what drew me to this band, I just put up with the vox....  The original singer did have a good "singing" vocal tone - with the little he actually did....  I don't have the second CD yet....  I am afraid it will not be the same good music behind the new singer....  Kinda~ like Korn's first CD....  None of their stuff will EVER match the pure "rawness" of emotion in thier first CD....

My 1.5 cents....    :grin:

:grin:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Re: Does anybody on this planet dig Killswitch Engage? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3791030 - 02/16/05 08:59 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, among other things, the vocals really turn me off.  I love growling in death metal (when doine right) and I have nothing against singing in rock music either or even the combination can be awesome (see: opeth)  But I can't get over how forced it seems when I hear Killswitch.  I'm not familiar with all of their deeper album tracks (or riffs), though.  Most I find kinda irritating though...

Its exactly like Harbringer said, the sound is getting more and more annoying and they arent the only ones who have been doing it either but I choose to single them out since I saw that dude with a killswitch T.

I saw them opening for Slayer a couple months ago and I did get into their set a little but I think my BAC might have had something to do with that. :smile: :beer:  I still only stuck around for half of it and went outside to get baked after that.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

#3791329 - 02/17/05 02:55 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

they are pretty radio friendly metal...same with drowning pool:thumbdown:

soilwork are good :thumbup: :thumbup:

dan swano fucking owns everything fucking legend, wish i could get to europe and see bloodbaths first and last show in august..akerfeldt (opeth) is going to be doing the vocals...nystrom & renkse (katatonia, another fucking awesome band) are going to be there...aswell as swano ofcourse

if you can get to germany, you have to fucking go....jesus... :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Does anybody on this planet dig Killswitch Engage? [Re: SHiZNO]
    #3794781 - 02/17/05 08:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well, you guys have both pointed to Opeth, to which I have been pointed to before by a good guitarist here on the Shroomery....  :wink:  I am thinking I need to get off my ass and go some Opeth CDs....    I have literally been stuck on DT's "Train of Thought", and ShineDown's CD for a long time now....  I have not gotten any new music for a while....

The one "weird" thing about Killswitch is the drastic changes from "kill your mom growling and screaming" to the somewhat consistant style of their choruses - being beautiful and melodic (generally speaking of course)....  It can be pulled off, but I just don't think they quit do it "right"....    Either way, I still like them, just not a "fav"....

One thing that *MIGHT* be annoying to you all about KillSwitch, is how technically tight and "perfect" everything sounds musically....?    There seems to be no "emotion" in the musical aspect of composition and playing, and it is all backing up a furyous rage of vocal emotion....  Kinda~ strange that way....   

Ironically, I consider -and have been told- that my guitar playing to be of a technical nature....  :frown:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

Re: Does anybody on this planet dig Killswitch Engage? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3796435 - 02/18/05 01:37 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

yeah definately pick up an opeth album or 2...or 3...or all 7 of them...one of my favourite bands.

get deliverance, then still life, then blackwater park, then the rest

i hear the lamentations dvd is good too, but i havent seen it in stores so ill buy it on amazon sometime soon when i get the cash

--------------------

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3797238 - 02/18/05 07:03 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah Opeth is good.. my favorite song of their's is "Face of Melinda"

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

#3798589 - 02/18/05 03:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Serenity Painted Death > *

--------------------

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3799634 - 02/18/05 07:10 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

never heard that one buddy

--------------------

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

#3800024 - 02/18/05 08:25 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

dan swano fucking owns everything fucking legend, wish i could get to europe and see bloodbaths first and last show in august..akerfeldt (opeth) is going to be doing the vocals...nystrom & renkse (katatonia, another fucking awesome band) are going to be there...aswell as swano ofcourse

if you can get to germany, you have to fucking go....jesus...

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: only in my dreams......too bad their isn't an archive.org  for metal..that would be awesome

Trying to pick a fav opeth song is like picking out your fav sex position...

--------------------

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3800618 - 02/18/05 10:29 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Not for me :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

#3800736 - 02/18/05 10:48 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

its on the Still Life album

yes it is very hard to pick out a fav Opeth album, let alone favourite song

tonight i went to the store and bought their Lamentations DVD, now i own all their shit....the DVD is pretty fucking good...apart from akerfeldt looking like hes orgasming sometimes heh....can tell they love their music tho :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :bow: :bow: :bow:

anyone heard the haunteds 'new' rEVOLVEr album? i fucking love this CD...

--------------------

OfflineHarbinger

#3801539 - 02/19/05 12:51 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Lamentations was great, although I was a bit upset it was all of Damnation and only a few heavy songs. Don't get me wrong, it was a great CD, but when I buy an Opeth DVD I want to hear the heavy classics damn it.

--------------------

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

Re: Does anybody on this planet dig Killswitch Engage? [Re: Harbinger]
    #3801705 - 02/19/05 01:24 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i like the damnation album, but yeah id like to have a few extra heavey songs...one reason they cant put in songs from the first few albums is because of them changing  record labels....fuck contracts

heres hoping the next album is the heaviest yet, sucks we wont see one til end 2005 at least, maybe even 2006, theyre trying to find a new record label :frown:

--------------------

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3802679 - 02/19/05 08:37 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I have damnation, it's good.

Get this though, I had to get the dude at the cd store to import Still Life for me a while back and when it came he fuckin sold it! haha i was pissed about that.. like what the hell, i waited like over two weeks for it and then he sells it.. Wtf, you're supposed to hold it for me.. seriously, who sells the cd that you request? anyway, whatever, i never got that cd after that so i never heard the rest of the songs on that album.

And I've only heard some of the tracks here and there from the other albums, including still life. Face of Melinda always stood out for me though. But I havent heard a lot of the tracks as well, so that?s why it?s easier for me to like face of Melinda over what ive heard I suppose, hehe..

--------------------

OfflineHarbinger

#3803062 - 02/19/05 01:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You should really get Still LIfe off of amazon.com or something. It's really a great album. If you like Face of Melinda, there is a song called Benighted, also on Still Life, that I think you would like a whole lot.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media