Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCACA
veteran
Help !
    #376740 - 08/22/01 09:41 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

First time grower here with a problem. Its been about a week since innoculation. There are two different growths (and maybe a third, blue growth at the bottom of the cleanest, whitest jar I have.) in my 12 jars. One is very white and I am thinking this is what I want. Another is a bit more than slightly green. I think this is mold. Some jars look like they have wars going on between the mycelium and this contamination. (I think I can be pretty sure of) What should I do?
About ten of the twelve jars don't look half as good as the two good ones, of which one has a little contamination. Should I separate and/or terminate the jars that look hopeless? .. I have no camera or scanner, which isn't helpful. The best-looking jar is almost 100% white all over the jar and its only been 7 days - wewt! Would it be safe to keep the jars and just clean them with bleach? I didn't innoculate all of the the same way and I think that might be the problem. (I threw some of the spores in the centers of some jars instead of along the walls.) Also, the garden department of the Wal Mart I went to was in shambles with messy stacks and wet bags of growing mediums. Could the contamination have come in the bag and not been killed in the sterilization? Please help me, someone.

:frown:

Edited by CACA on 08/22/01 10:53 PM.

--------------------
"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShiznitz
addict
Loc: Canada
Re: Help ! [Re: CACA]
    #376750 - 08/22/01 10:01 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I don;t know if you have a contam or not, you'll have to wait it out...

Separate the jars that you suspect have contams. If the contam grows, then open the jar outside and bury the contents somewhere in you backyard.

Yes, you can keep the jars that were previously contam'ed if you wash then really good and clean them with a mild bleach solution.

I doubt that the contamination didn't die in the sterilization process... If you used brf and pc'ed or boiled them for an hour, then everything *should* have died. If you used grainor something other than brf, then you must PC them in order to kill all contams; boiling them in a pot won't do.

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: Help ! [Re: Shiznitz]
    #376805 - 08/22/01 11:17 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the advice

--------------------
"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5

OfflineCACA
veteran
Help ! [Re: Shiznitz]
    #377323 - 08/23/01 08:03 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Eh.. can shrooms grow from this and can I eat them? (The buried contents)

Edited by CACA on 08/23/01 09:03 PM.

--------------------

OfflineShiznitz
addict
    #377339 - 08/23/01 08:27 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

You mean the contaminated jars that you're gonna bury in your yard?

Yes, you can eat shrooms if they grow. The chance of them actually growing is pretty unlikely, but it has happened to a few people. This is why I say bury them instead of chuck them, because you never know... They're safe to eat because mushrooms growing is a sign that the mycelium has won against the contam, so there is no contam anymore..

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #377357 - 08/23/01 08:52 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

okay, thanks

--------------------

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #378787 - 08/25/01 09:22 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

You know, growing mushrooms has given me some more respect for human beings. Our bodies are so resilient. The mushrooms have to have special care taken of them, you know? I don't know. I just think that that one thing says alot.

--------------------

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #378926 - 08/26/01 12:57 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Okay. The two jars that really got really white really fast look like they are just staying that way. They're white almost all over except at the bottom. Howcome it took only like 8 days for the jars to get white and its been so long and the bottom still isnt colonized? Is there something I should do? There is also some clear gooey stuff (thats what it looks like) in the jar.

--------------------

OfflineSir Tokes-A-Lot
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
    #378960 - 08/26/01 01:45 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

bright white is pretty much all you want. if it turns a pale yellow it could be cuz it has water droplets inside touching it.

--------------------

"If god liked midgets, he woulda made 'em come on stilts."- ChemicalMonkey (The Early Years)

OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: Help ! [Re: Sir Tokes-A-Lot]
    #378969 - 08/26/01 01:55 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not talking about just that. I wanted to know why the growth stopped. I checked them again today and in some of the jars with contams, the mycelium look like they are really fighting that fucking green shit and kind of winning. Also, thanks for your advice, Sir. =)

Edited by CACA on 08/26/01 02:59 AM.

--------------------

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #379243 - 08/26/01 12:48 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Ninety-something people have read this and I still don't know why the growth has stopped. Can someone tell me?

--------------------

Offlinegusb232

Loc: pm me
    #379257 - 08/26/01 01:01 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I think it could be a few things,CO2 buildup; did u use a fliter disc? If not you may want to flip them over and let them breath.

And Or they have run out of mositure,
Ther are probably other reasons.
Im not experinced grower but i try to help out

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #379258 - 08/26/01 01:02 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Because your substrate is dry.

OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: Help ! [Re: puscle]
    #379265 - 08/26/01 01:10 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Well I know for a fact that my substrate is NOT dry, because I put way too much water. I accidently measured with the 1/3 cup instead of the 1/4 cup when I was measuring "almost 1/4 cup" for a certain amount of milligrams PLUS i forgot to put aluminum foil on the tops of the first six jars, so they have extra water! Flip them over??

--------------------

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #379270 - 08/26/01 01:16 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Wait.. it could be dry, because I think I read something before about the more spores, the more water. I used the whole PF Classic syringe on two jars, because I wasn't sure what I should do with a syringe where the spores were all clumped together. I saw syringes online where they were very dark, but these were clear with one small clump of spores and all the shaking in the world didn't change the tint of the syringe.

--------------------

OfflineShiznitz
addict
    #379486 - 08/26/01 07:25 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Stunted growth on the bottom because:
-there's water on the bottom, and the mycelium cant colonize water... Does the bottom look all mushy? Flip the jars on their sides, take your tappe and/or tinfoil off of the lar lids, and open the lids, a 1/4 turn. this will allow some air exchange and it will drain the bottom.

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #379495 - 08/26/01 07:37 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I'm supposed to have tape or aluminum foil on the lids?

:frown: I believe in Mr. Grieves !

--------------------

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #379500 - 08/26/01 07:48 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I turned the jars upside down like someone told me to earlier. should i turn them right side up again or what? or when should i if i have to?

:frown: I believe in Mr. Grieves !

--------------------

Invisibleisis
addict
    #379676 - 08/27/01 12:07 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

It is not uncommon for jars to stall out at the bottom.You did the right thing by flipping them. If you haven't removed the tape do so also.It can be caused by all of the above stated reason.

OfflineShiznitz
addict
    #379799 - 08/27/01 08:59 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

The tape/tinfoil on the jar lids should be the same tape/tinfoil you used when you sterilized the jars... So when the tek said to wrap the top of the lid in tinfoil and then sterilize, you do this. Then, you take the foil off for a second to innoculate, then you put the foil back on. You take it off when the cake is colonized.

You can lave the jars upside down/on their sides for the remainder of the time until you birth them.

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale