Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

An ill wind comes arising, across the cities of the plain
    #3787795 - 02/16/05 03:55 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

There's no swimming in the heavy water -
no singing in the acid rain

I recently picked up Grace Under Pressure. This is an album i have heard is one of Rush's worst but I think it's incredible. But Rush has become my favorite band since working my way through the albums. Getting into the later stuff now, i'm blown away by stuff like Grace Under Pressure and Presto but when i heard that stuff a year or two ago I thought it sounded cheesy.

I guess with Rush it's hard to fully appreciate an album like Signals until you've absorbed stuff like Farewell to Kings, Counterparts and Permanent Waves. At least, that's how it was for me.
If you're not convinced of the righteousness of this band's later catalogue, or are interested in looking into it, check out the songs Digital Man, Chemistry, Losing It or anythingfrom the Signals album; Distant Early Warning, Afterimage, or Red Sector A from "Grace Under Pressure"; The Pass, Presto or Avaliable Light from the ablum Presto , there's more but shit, these are only songs I think kick ass. You mifght find others you like completely better. There's 30 years of unreal music to soak up,hell I haven't even heard Power Windows or Hold your Fire or most of Test For Echo yet! Vapor Trails is sheer awesomeness, after at least half a dozen listens. Suuuuuch an awesome band. I'm going off but maybe another Rush fanatic understands?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
Re: An ill wind comes arising, across the cities of the plain [Re: Viveka]
    #3787935 - 02/16/05 04:29 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Rush has never done it for me. I really have a hard time when peopel say neil pert is the best drummer. Way to many flamboyant drums fills and he lives on a tom (sawyer) (bahdumcha). It seems to me that people who like rush, also like dream theatre, which is the ultimate in cheese.

If you like technical (not techno) music, which shows some real talent, check out Estradasphere. My favorite band, and favorite musicians, these guys can play circles around almost anyone. They are kind of like Mr. Bungle meets Bella Fleck and the Flecktones, with a stand up bass, real drum set, while playing nintendo. Also Secret CHiefs 3 are revolutionizing the world (hopefully, one day) with their music.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: An ill wind comes arising, across the cities of the plain [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3800069 - 02/18/05 08:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Ugh. I hate Dream Theater. Yeah, Peart fills alot, especially in the older material, but he's acutally quite reserved on alot of the later stuff. As far as rock drumming goes, Peart is one of the masters, for sure. I don't really get your pun about Neil living on a tom (sawyer)...

But I love Rush just as much for Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson. Geddy is an unreal player and an amazing vocalist when you come to appreciate it. COnsidering the range of his ability from stuff the The Temples of Syrinx all the way to ballads like Resist. Alex Lifeson is one of the most unreal, intuitive players there is. He's like Andy Summers or Larry Lalonde, he mostly glints off the top of the huge rhythm foundation like his mind is on another planet.

I haven't checked out Estradasphere. I love Bungle, I just listened to Disco Volante yesterday for the first time in a while, it's one of the craziest albums I have. All I've heard of the Secret Chiefs was some samples on cdnow.com but i thought theykicked ass. Where's a good place to start with them?

Have you heard the Rush album Hemispheres? How about Permanent Waves? Just wondering...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media