Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCaptain Loafy McPoopdick
(4 1 2)

Loc: 1 5 1 3 6
Cutting glass
    #3787753 - 02/16/05 01:40 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, I don't know a better place to put this thread, if there is can someone please move it for me?

I'm currently working on a "project" involving very thin delicate glass and i'm wondering if there is any way to cut perfectly round holes in it without it shattering.

I have a couple art shops around here do you think there is any kind of tool I can pick up? or maybe I can heat the glass to a point of it just melting inward a bit making it soft enough to push something through, but that is doubtful

I tried to rap some electrical tape around it and jamming something through, it worked, but the hole wasn't round more of a small cracked look
Replies will be greatly appreciated
thanks,
BM

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Re: Cutting glass [Re: Captain Loafy McPoopdick]
    #3788707 - 02/16/05 10:03 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

well, if it's soft glass you can probably use a handheld butane torch to melt a hole. if it's hard glass you'll need a glass diamond-tipped cutter. right tool for the job and all...
oh and wear safety glasses, please

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Cutting glass [Re: ToolTroll]
    #3788933 - 02/16/05 11:21 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

yes, safety glasses in all situations where you will be cutting glass. A small piece of glass dust in your eye tumbling around cutting your eye open is no fun. Sounds to me like your making a home-made water-pipe? cutting round holes in glass is a bi*ch, for thick glass you can get diamond tip cutters at a hardware store usualy, it fits right on your drill. I've had a lot of good experiences with fine-sand dremmel cones, but the rougher they are the more chances it has of cracking around the holes. Your best bet for thin glass is a small torch, which is easy to get. Good luck, wear some safety goggles, and enjoy some good art. :cool:

(4 1 2)

Re: Cutting glass [Re: CptnGarden]
    #3792055 - 02/17/05 06:34 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well, it's a home made pipe without water, from a light bulb. I have a few ideads to make it work. i'm going to try and add some kind of light paint on the inside maybe the color will get darker with more res. I don't know it was just a random idea I had
I planned on selling them to people for a couple bucks each

I think I will go with a torch first
and I have not a pair of saftey goggles, oh well I don't need to see anymore, i've seen enough

Hey, even if it doesn't work at least i'm doing something, rather than sitting on my ass ALL day every fuckin day. fun.

i'll update this thread if you'd like to hear some more haha
thanks for both your help

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3794804 - 02/17/05 06:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

A light bulb is thin, soft glass. You will be inhaling glass vapor.

(4 1 2)

Re: Cutting glass [Re: Catalysis]
    #3795992 - 02/17/05 10:14 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I am going to put a gloss coating over it and all the glass will be washed

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #3796219 - 02/17/05 11:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

heat a small portion, and while holding the glass in the flame of the torch, blow into the pipe, rig up a hose if you have to.

thats how us glass blowers do it :smile:

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Invisiblecricket
Lord Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: in my house, in front of ...
Re: Cutting glass [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3797879 - 02/18/05 10:31 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Use a dremal tool with a silicon carbide bit. Keep it wet and cool. You need a steady hand or you will bind up the bit and it will crack your bulb.
Some brands of bulbs are presurized, they will blister and pop if you heat a small point. Some are vacume sealed, They are hard to do because as the melted glass dimples in, the flame gets a back draft and the glass will cool before it pops. If you use a torch... slowly bring the temp down. If it cools too fast it will crack.
That is a thin glass. It will cut you fast

--------------------
I tried to leave my signature but it didn't work...
By the way... Does anybody know how to get sharpie markers off of a computer screen?

Anonymous

Re: Cutting glass *DELETED* [Re: cricket]
    #3798749 - 02/18/05 02:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by PsiloPsychic

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Cutting glass [Re: ]
    #3800570 - 02/18/05 08:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

uhhh.... is glass from a lightbulb the best thing to use?

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

(4 1 2)

Re: Cutting glass [Re: Jim]
    #3802317 - 02/19/05 01:11 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I just thought the pipe would look kind of cool as a lightbulb
and the paint was just an idea. I really don't know anything else I can use without buying expensive tools

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #3803591 - 02/19/05 02:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Put warm saltwater on the inside of the lightbulb and slosh it around before doing any cutting or anything of the sort,
and get that shit out of the inside of the bulb. Im guessing your making freebase pipes for crystal or dmt? it would be stupid to make regular pipes out of glass that thin, no one would want them cause they are gonna break, and the profits wouldn't be worth the trouble you could be getting yourself into if your caught... dont you have to have a license to sell paraphrenalia? they would probably look alot like tweak pipes and being busted for a buncha those would be dumb, but hey welcome to america. just be careful! And a torch sounds the best for such thin glass, remember to regulate and slowly lower the tmps when cooling down.

Good luck,

SoD

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3804978 - 02/19/05 10:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Boiledmeatloaf said:
I just thought the pipe would look kind of cool as a lightbulb
and the paint was just an idea. I really don't know anything else I can use without buying expensive tools

It would be cool, but fragile.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Anonymous

Re: Cutting glass [Re: Jim]
    #3805082 - 02/19/05 10:32 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i used to cut different grades of tempered/regular glass. i'd look into getting a diamond tipped cutter, one specific to cutting perfect circles. do an internet search or maybe try a custom glass shop if nothing else. that is, if it is an important piece.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates