Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBulmer
Stranger
LONG-TERM AFFECTS?
    #3786980 - 02/16/05 01:35 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I am very worried about my brother, since he with on a shroom trip and overdosed on them (supposably near dying, his girlfriend said he looked).

Now when I visit him, he is totally different. My brother David thinks he is a messiah. So when I came over he had his front door wide open, and he said he was exspecting a girl over, and when I asked who the girl was, he said the girl on tv was suppose to come over, but now she knows im there so she aint coming.

He is very serious, and not joking when he talks about stuff like breaking the laws of physics. His Nirvana poster was all ripped and had in bold letter with a marker written, " ASSHOLE."

Are these effects perminate? I have done them once, and they opened a new door in my brain of thinking, but not as widely open as his, like when he says he talk to the people on his tv.

It is really scarry to see the brother I grew up with, who just broke up with his girlfriend after 3 years alone in his apartment like this. I hope noone will laugh about this, and that someone will answer in hard-core facts.

Richard

Edited by Bulmer (02/16/05 01:57 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Re: LONG-TERM AFFECTS? [Re: Bulmer]
    #3787036 - 02/16/05 01:43 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

how many grams did he take?? I hurd that you have to eat around your body weight to overdose on shrooms.

Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
    #3787043 - 02/16/05 01:44 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

there are no long-term affects of mushrooms. sounds like your bro just turned a little on the weird side or was changed in some way by his trip.

--------------------
I Ain't No Fool. Mama Didn't Raise No Fool.
----------primussucks

OfflineBulmer
Stranger
Re: LONG-TERM AFFECTS? [Re: mushiemountain]
    #3787173 - 02/16/05 01:59 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I am not sure, I think 4 or more. I know that is not alot, but this is odd for him to start acting this way. Also I hope he didn't turn on the weird side, because if he did, than I hope he can get back. He doesn't have friends over anymore, and he stays home by himself.

OfflineAztec
DilatedHallucinator
 User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom with the caterpi...
Re: LONG-TERM AFFECTS? [Re: mushiemountain]
    #3787186 - 02/16/05 02:01 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds like whatever he ate brought out something like schizophrenia.

--------------------
"You know the wisdom is reflected the knowledge when its manifested, If not fed in due time the mind is anorexic." - Cormega

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Re: LONG-TERM AFFECTS? [Re: Aztec]
    #3787215 - 02/16/05 02:05 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

naww i don't think shrooms can cause schizo . my uncle has schizophrenia from doing to much acid.

your brother probably just had a horribly bad trip that really effected his life. he should eventually remember it as a memory and move on with his life.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
Re: LONG-TERM AFFECTS? [Re: p4kSouL]
    #3787520 - 02/16/05 03:00 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

p4kSouL said:
naww i don't think shrooms can cause schizo . my uncle has schizophrenia from doing to much acid.

Acid doesn't cause schizophrenia, either. Mushrooms and acid work in a very similar manner.

Schizophrenia and other underlying mental disorders can be brought out by psychedelics - but they do not cause them; they were there to begin with.

Does your family have a history of schizophrenia or other serious mental disorders, Bulmer?

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleSoularize
insubordinate and churlish
Male

Re: LONG-TERM AFFECTS? [Re: delta9]
    #3788578 - 02/16/05 11:15 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

But it seems like ALOT of people (if not most) display schizo behaviors while under the influence of psychedelics...you're not trying to suggest that anybody who displays these features when high, has a natural background of schizophrenia are you? Or maybe you were just implying that the people with natural schizophrenia will display the behaviors even AFTER their trip?

--------------------
The man in the black pajamas, Dude. Worthy fuckin' adversary.

OfflineAnOddLittlePlace
Novice Grower
 User Gallery

Loc: Tumble down shack in Bigf...
Re: LONG-TERM AFFECTS? [Re: Soularize]
    #3788611 - 02/16/05 11:33 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

What he is saying is if you were at risk for becoming schizo. like you had a family history of it or something taking mushrooms might turn on that switch in your brain. Some people never show any signs of it until they have a certain life changing event, maybe something small or large it all depends, and then bam.

--------------------

My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the West.

OfflineAnnomM
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #3788629 - 02/16/05 11:39 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

From what you describe I would say that your brother has a psychosis. Has he slept after the trip? How long ago was his mushroom trip?

The brake up with his girlfriend and the intense mushrooms experience probably have 'triggered' it.

How old is he? Has he ever been depressed? Is he ever diagnosed bi-polar? Was he in a mild state of mania the last time you saw him?

The best you can do is stay with him. He needs someone to keep an eye on him. Contact a professional and other people around him if you feel you can't handle it. His psychosis will, very likely, not be permanent, but is not the direct effect of a substance(psilocin) and it can take days or weeks before he 'comes down'.

This should not happen in 'healthy' people, even if they take very large doses. Mushrooms don't cause any long-term physical damage, but it can be a very intense experience that can change a person like every experience can/does.

Let us know how he is doing!

Good luck!

OfflineSynapticMisfire
Stranger

Re: LONG-TERM AFFECTS? [Re: Annom]
    #3788964 - 02/16/05 01:28 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

there are no long-term affects of mushrooms. sounds like your bro just turned a little on the weird side or was changed in some way by his trip.

Until the psychopharmacological aspects of this drug are better understood, I believe you should keep your opinions to yourself and not introduce them as hardcore facts.
If he has a predisposition to any mental condition, this could've exacerbated it. It is possible that it is some form of psychosis, but I think you should talk to him about it. The symptoms that you described for us:paranoid ideations, delusions of grandiose[thinking he's the messiah], and the erotomanic delusions, definitely indicate some sort of psychosis. Like Annom mentioned earlier, keep a very close eye on him for the next few weeks. Monitor his behavior, and if it increases in severity, or if it doesn't go away, perhaps he needs a psychiatric evaluation. Let us know how everything turns out.

--------------------

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: LONG-TERM AFFECTS? [Re: SynapticMisfire]
    #3788992 - 02/16/05 01:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

take him to a shrink, the only way that it is even possible for these effects to have taken such a hold upon him is that he had a pre-existin gnot yet aggitated mental condition, i.e. schizophrenia, take him to a doctor, hopefully you know a trusting and good one who will be understanding instead of condemning, but im sure some sort of medicine will help him, now getting him to take it, or to go to a shrink in the first place, those are your obstacles.

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: LONG-TERM AFFECTS? [Re: incubaby_421]
    #3789032 - 02/16/05 01:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

megalomania, agoraphobia, psychosis, possibly a couple others i missed, i would attribute it to having two very substantial, one definitly being detrimental to ones mental and emotional well-being, and the oother quite possibly, events occuring in a short period of time.

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: LONG-TERM AFFECTS? [Re: incubaby_421]
    #3789179 - 02/16/05 02:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well he got dumped after 3 years, like during all this? Its not the shrooms its his relationship skills.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

OfflineAnnomM
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: LONG-TERM AFFECTS? [Re: SynapticMisfire]
    #3789700 - 02/16/05 04:47 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Until the psychopharmacological aspects of this drug are better understood, I believe you should keep your opinions to yourself and not introduce them as hardcore facts.

I agree.  :thumbup:

Quote:

Civ said:
Well he got dumped after 3 years, like during all this? Its not the shrooms its his relationship skills.

:wtf: How do you know? Bulmer has a serious problem with his brother and this is all you can say? Please let me know if I didn't understand you, and you were actually trying to help him or contribute something.

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
    #3792401 - 02/17/05 10:31 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

How old is your bro? Does he have a history of ups and downs?
After high school I had a few big ups and downs. Then one summer it got extreme and I went psychotic. I also thought I was some godlike creature.
I was diagnosed as bipolar.
You should talk to him, maybe get your parents involved if your brother has a good connection with them. Try to keep him a bit calm and warn him that if he exhibits too weird behaviour outside he could end up in a mental institution. Talk to a doctor about getting some anti-psychotics.
If it's a psychotic mania, he will come down again. Be supportive when he comes down. You can feel really ashamed of your irrational actions once you are down. And it's not nice to find out that you are 'crazy'.

OfflineBulmer
Stranger
Re: LONG-TERM AFFECTS? [Re: cybrbeast]
    #3794737 - 02/17/05 08:02 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you very much man, I will keep you inform.

OfflineChingChong
Non-OffensiveTalker

Loc: Where the buffalo roam
    #3796223 - 02/18/05 01:07 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i had similar instances happene to me but eventually got better after a couple months. Docter perscribed me some medication, I started thinking that my life was repeating itself and believed anything was possible like making a fish from a piece of bread.

He'll probly get better, give it time.

--------------------
How can one murder enormously if one is microscopic.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience