Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

What is a good camera for close up pictures?
    #3774614 - 02/13/05 03:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have a Kodak easy share 2MP camera and I'm very happy with it but as far as close up pictures go it kinda sucks.It's fixed focus point and shoot and I really can't get closer than 2 feet before it gets fuzzy and useless.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good close up camera?
I'm thinking around $250 max and I want it to use SD cards since I already have a few of them.

:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedigitalcube
would u likesome dolphinsafe tuna
 User Gallery

Loc: la
Re: What is a good camera for close up pictures? [Re: Peterthinks]
    #3774796 - 02/13/05 04:09 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i like digital nikons myself ...my sis has one and its awesome

--------------------

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: What is a good camera for close up pictures? [Re: digitalcube]
    #3774950 - 02/13/05 04:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

digitalcube said:
i like digital nikons myself ...my sis has one and its awesome

I agree and vouch for Nikon Coolpix 4500. But if You don't buy a used one, it will cost more than $250.

--------------------

Edited by ivi (02/13/05 05:03 PM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #3775327 - 02/13/05 06:05 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/sd200.html

Thats the best cam I could find in your price range that takes SD media. Focuses at 3cm (1.2 inches) away from the cam lense.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3779023 - 02/14/05 03:07 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

When I travel to Southeast Asia I usually take about 10-12 rolls of film with me. That is about 360 pictures. A little expensive cost for doing so. With my cool pix and memory cards I have taken over 14,000 photographs in a year and two months. Very cost efficient.

Here are three shrooms images of Ban Hua Thanon, South African and Ecuadorian with my nikon cool-pix 4300.

The BHT image:

The South Africans:

The Ecuadorians:

A flower:

A Grasshopper (Katatang):

2 centipedes celebrating Valentines day:

A ferret:

A few cubes from Thailand:

A few Psilocybe cyanescens:

Two images of the deadly Galerina autumnalis:

A Shaggy mane from Duwamish:

A few Psathyrellas:

And a picture of the shroom habitat at Angkor Wat (the Green grassy areas) for Copelandia species and Psilocybe cubensis and P. antioquensis.

And a yong calf and mother:

Two young, one pink and and one brown (becoming grey) Bubalus bubilis water buffalos

And with my 256 MB memory card, I also have a 128, and a few smaller cards. Two Rechargable bateries and a battery recharger which came with the camera which allows me to plug it in anywhere in the world without an adapter. ADAPTER CORDS FOR COMPUTER ADN MEMORY CARDS.

Try to image 14,000 beautiful photographs as these I have displayed. This 4 megapizxel camera is boss.

mj

Offlinedigitalcube
would u likesome dolphinsafe tuna
 User Gallery

Loc: la
Re: What is a good camera for close up pictures? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3781392 - 02/14/05 10:52 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

great pics bro ...

--------------------

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
    #3781560 - 02/14/05 11:38 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

For close up shots you want to have a good digital zoom. Megapixels are good, but the zoom is what gets you those crystal clear shots (without having to hold the camera super close to the subject). Good luck. I have had great results with Canon cameras.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: What is a good camera for close up pictures? [Re: Signo]
    #3781612 - 02/14/05 11:53 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

IMHO the best option would be getting a decent high end prosumer or professional camera (I'd go for a Canon SLR) and then buying a macro lens set for it. But that's hell a lot of money. As for built in macros - Nikon swivel body series are looking really good for the price. For example with the Coolpix 4500 you can take very nice 4 MPix pictures of objects as close as 2 cm (0.8 inches). And as to the research I have done so far, I think I'm definately getting a Nikon Coolpix 4500 for myself till the next mushroom season (hopefully).

--------------------

Edited by ivi (02/18/05 10:03 AM)

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: What is a good camera for close up pictures? [Re: ivi]
    #3781645 - 02/15/05 12:04 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have a casio qv-8000... 1 megapixel, 8x optical zoom, but it takes some really nice closeups in macro mode

probably really cheap on ebay since they're so old

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: What is a good camera for close up pictures? [Re: Signo]
    #3782747 - 02/15/05 09:31 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Actually, digital zoom has nothing to do with taking "close up" photos. It has to do with the diameter of the lense and type of lense used.

Your best bet is to find a camera in your price range and look at the specs on it. Your main point of interest would be the focus range, particularly in macro mode. Macro mode is what is used to take close up pictures. The shorter the distance you can get from the object, the better the picture will turn out.

I'm shooting with an 8MP Sony CyberShot F828, and due to the high resolution and the ability to focus at around 1 inch from the subject, I can get some pretty nice macros. Unfotunately, the cam also costs a pretty penny.

Here are some macro shots I've taken:

And probably the best shot I have, as far as macro goes, here's a mushroom on a thumb tack:

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3782909 - 02/15/05 10:21 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Id get anything that is a Sony.

Super easy to use, and I think takes great pictures.

I had a DSC-p3 a while back that took great pictures.

I now have a Sony DSC-F717 that takes really nice pictures, even after having it for 2 years.

One of my favorite pictures. This is the low quality image too.  :smile:

Edited by angryshroom (02/15/05 10:22 AM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Trusted Identifier
Re: What is a good camera for close up pictures? [Re: angryshroom]
    #3782966 - 02/15/05 10:38 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Casio QV-3500:

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: What is a good camera for close up pictures? [Re: Anno]
    #3785247 - 02/15/05 07:10 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
Casio QV-3500

That camera really does work good - http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2005580/page//fpart/1/vc/1 and http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1965284/page//fpart/1/vc/1 - some of the most beautiful mushroom photos I've seen on the Shroomery.

--------------------

Edited by ivi (02/18/05 05:53 AM)

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3786569 - 02/15/05 10:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Cannon PowerShot A-70. This should be in your price range by now.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: What is a good camera for close up pictures? [Re: shroomydan]
    #3787279 - 02/16/05 12:13 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You can definately get the Canon Powershot A70 for $250 nowadays. Even the newer 4 MPix Powershot A80 and A85 fit in that price range. And You could find the 5 MPix Powershot A95 for under $300. They all have macro focus range from 5 cm.

--------------------

Edited by ivi (02/16/05 12:34 AM)

Invisiblekoraks
Re: What is a good camera for close up pictures? [Re: Gumby]
    #3788130 - 02/16/05 04:07 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
Actually, digital zoom has nothing to do with taking "close up" photos. It has to do with the diameter of the lense and type of lense used.

I know your intentions are good Gumby, but what you say here is total crap. Nofi.

Digital zoom has *nothing* to do with the lens *at all*. Digital zoom is nothing more than interpolation of pixels in the middel area of a photograph. So when applying digital zoom, your camera takes the center part of the image and then 'blows it up' to the original format of the imaging sensor (e.g. 4 or 8Mpix). You'll understand that digital zoom delivers crappy images as only a few percent of actual image data is used to generate the final picture. Naturally, a camera is incapable of 'making up' image information by interpolating a tiny image, so that's why digital zoom leads to crappy pics.

Optical zoom is a different story, however. This *does* have a lot to do with the lens (but not the lens diameter). Optical zoom is defined as the capability of a lens to change its focal length. For example, a 28-80mm zoomlens on a standard 35mm film camera (like a Canon 'Rebel' reflex camera) has a zoom of 80/28 = 2,86x. In photography, the 'zoom number' has never been employed until digital compact cameras appeared on the market. The whole notion of 'zoom' actually comes from the world of video cameras.

As for the question what camera would be suited for macro (mushroom) photography: well, there are zillions of camera models that would perform very well. The choice depends on your budget, your aspirations and personal taste. If your budget is limited to, say, $ 300, you'll probably end up with a digital compact camera like the cameras mentioned earlier in this topic (Canon Ixus series, Canon PowerShot series, all Sony digital cameras, Nikon Coolpix series etc.). These cameras will do the job nicely and take good pictures that are fit for use on the web or for small-sized prints. The virtually infinite depth of field of digital compacts actually serves as a great advantages in macro photography, eliminating the need for carrying a tripod or a powerful flash unit, as less light is needed for a large enough depth of field. (This is actually a quite simplified way of putting it, follow the links in this post to obtain more info on the concepts discussed here.)

If you aim for higher quality images (for large prints or publications), you'll have to raise some funds and go for a (digital) reflex camera, like a Nikon F5 (film) or Canon EOS 20D (digital). If you go for a reflex camera, you'll also need a decent macro lens, like the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro or the ever popular Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro. If you shoot with a reflex camera, you can expect images of far better quality than those produced by a digital compact camera, but you'll have to invest much more money and much more time in learning about the basics of photography.

In short: if you're going for a cheap and easy solution, pick a digital compact. Are you interested in the quality and appearance of the pictures you take as much as in the mushrooms you find? Go for a reflex camera.

If you want to learn more about photography, I recommend these websites:
Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)
Ken Rockwell
The Luminous Landscape

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag