Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3785299 - 02/15/05 09:21 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Im looking for advice from some of the very knowledable persons on these forums. I'm not sure where else to post this so I will post in advanced cult. because it is advanced.

I'm looking at taking some spring classes coming up and the university offers mycology, but not very often so that isn't going to happen. However, they do offer an independent study course for biology. Here is what the catalog says:

involving search of original sources in the literature, preparation of abstracts, and examination of material. Problems may involve special techniques, field problems, and morphological or physiological studies.

Now I'm wondering how I could approach this to the university; what sort of topics would be pretty interesting to research. Thanks for the help, Derx

better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: mycology [Re: derx]
    #3788411 - 02/16/05 09:57 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The Biology program trains students in a wide variety of biological disciplines ranging from ecology, evolution, and conservation biology to cell and molecular biology. Two degree options and multiple tracks prepare students for the job market or further study in graduate school in the biological sciences, as well as professional schools in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, and other health related programs. The program also provides the scientific background for teaching biology at the intermediate and high school levels.

Students in all tracks acquire a thorough grounding in the major topical areas of biology, including:

Cell Biology: biochemistry and cell organelle processes, macromolecules, enzyme activity and regulation, and cell-cell communication
Molecular Biology and Genetics: molecular genetics, including DNA replication and mutation, gene structure, regulation of gene expression, bacteriophages and viruses, and genetic engineering
Organismal Biology: diversity of organisms, including phylogenetic relationships, classification, morphology, life histories, and general biology of all life forms; adaptations of organisms to habitats; and origin of life
Population Biology, Evolution, and Ecology: natural selection and population genetics, patterns of evolution, physical environmental influences, population ecology, community ecology, ecosystems, and human impacts
Biology majors also acquire analytical skills for applying scientific methodology to problems, hypothesis testing, and an understanding of the limitation of science as a way of knowing. They develop proficiency with quantitative concepts and familiarity with units of measure, statistical analyses, and the graphical and tabular presentation of data. They will also develop skill in oral and written presentation of scientific information.

Those non-biology majors who opt to fulfull part of their General Education requirements with a Biology course will gain an appreciation of modern biology to apply to understanding of current societal impacts of biology such as advances in biomedicine, environmental issues, and biological evidence in jury proceedings.

Special Aspects of the Biology Program
The two degree options available to undergraduates interested in studying biology are the Bachelor of Arts in Biology and the Bachelor of Science in Biology. A Biology minor is also available. Students in both degree programs have two tracks from which to choose: the ?Cell and Molecular Track? and an ?Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation Biology Track.?

Instruction includes classroom, laboratory, and field experiences emphasizing the unique environment of Hawai?i. Majors are provided with individual attention and the opportunity to work on research projects directed by the faculty. Minority students headed for professional careers in the health sciences may apply for participation in UH Hilo's Minority Biomedical Research Support Program funded by the National Institute of Health.

All Biology majors complete a capstone seminar course. They research a topical issue in the biological sciences, organize the material, and make a critical oral presentation with illustrations. This presentation is reviewed by faculty and by student peers and evaluated for the quality of scientific preparation, delivery, and audiovisual aids.

Students also complete one or more senior level laboratory courses that qualify for Writing Intensive credit. In these courses, they write a series of laboratory reports demonstrating their ability to perform experiments and to organize, analyze, and interpret the quantitative results of experimental work.

BIOL 101 and BIOL 101L are non-majors courses not credited toward the major or minor in Biology.

In order to graduate with a Biology major in four years, students are strongly urged to begin in their freshman year to take chemistry courses, which are often prerequisites for required biology courses. Students are reminded that they must not only fulfill the requirements below for the major but also meet all of the University's other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the chapter beginning on page ___ of this Catalog.) Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements. In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered, information that is available for each course in the listing at the back of this Catalog. To ensure progress toward graduation, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.

See Wong, George U of Hawaii at manoa

Botany 135: Magical Mushrooms &Mystical Molds
The year was 1969. I was a sophomore and I had just completed my first course in mycology. I recall that time as a special time and can still say, even after all these years, that this was a course that I got more out of than any other course that I had previously taken or have since taken. It was the start of what would be my choice of a career to study the mysteries of the fungus world. Although I have studied fungi because they are of interest to me, over the years, I have accumulated a great deal of practical knowledge concerning fungi and thought that this knowledge could be presented in a fashion that would be of interest to the non-science community since fungi have a daily impact on our lives. This course represents many years of fun I had in just reading about various aspects of fungi. The goal of this course is to study the impact that fungi have on the world around us. Fungi have both a negative and positive impact in nature and on humankind. Some of the topics that will be covered include the roles that fungi have played in well known historical events, their activities as decomposers, pathogens and symbionts, and their uses in cultures throughout the world in religious ceremonies, food and beverage productions and as recreational drugs. The specific topics are listed in the Botany 135 Syllabus.

The syllabus

Botany 135, T. Th. 1:30-2:45 George Wong, St. John, 612B

Fall Semester, 2003 Phone: X63940, Email: gwong@hawaii.edu

Office Hours: Th.,10-11

Magical Mushrooms and Mystical Molds

Dates Topics

A Few Words About Fungi
08/26/03 Introduction, Grades, etc.
08/28/03 The Rotten World About Us (BBC Video Tape)
09/02/03 Fungal Diversity
09/04/03 How Fungi Get Their Name and How They Are Classified
09/09/03 How Do Fungi Get Around?

Fungi as Pathogens
09/11/03 Introduction to Plan Pathology, Irish Potato
Famine, Downy Mildew of Grapes & Some
Diseases of Trees
09/16/03 Wheat, coffee and other rusts, and smuts
09/18/03 Field Trip: Plant Pathology Department
09/23/03 Fungi as Human Pathogens
09/25/03 Saprobic Activities of Fungi

09/30/03 Discovery of Mycotoxins and Common Examples
10/02/03 Mycotoxins in the Work Place & Homes
10/07/03 Mycotoxins: Ergot of Rye
10/09/03 Mycotoxins: The Story of LSD
10/14/03 First Exam

Fungi in Food and Beverages
10/16/03 Yeast and Fermentation, Alcoholic Beverages: Beer, Wine, Liquor, etc.
10/21/03 How to Make Beer (Video)
10/23/03 Fungi and their role in manufacturing of food
product: Bread, Cheese, Tofu, Tempe, Miso, etc.
10/28/03 No Lecture: Field Trip To Brewery and Winery
10/30/03 Wild Edible Mushrooms
11/04/03 Cultivation of Mushrooms and Other Fungi
11/06/03 Poisonous Mushrooms

Other Uses of Fungi
11/11/03 Mushrooms and Religion: Amanita muscaria
(The Fly Agaric)
11/13/03 Mushrooms and Religion: Conocybe,
Panaeolus, Psilocybe and Stropharia
11/18/03 The Story of Penicillin, Wonder Drug
11/20/03 Second Exam
11/25/03 The Aftermath of Penicillin
11/27/03 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
12/02/03 Psychedelic Music & Art
12/04/03 Symbiotic Relationships: Fungi and Plants
(Mycorrhizae), and Algae (Lichens)
12/09/03 Fungi and Animals
12/11/03 (Last Day of Class) Fungi as Bioherbicides, Bioinsecticides and
12/18/03 (Thursday) Final Exam, 12:00 - 2:00

The all important grade

There will be two exams (25% each X 2 = 50%), mostly multiple choices, with a few short answers that are based mostly on my lectures and readings from the course web page. The final exam will not be cumulative, and will cover the lecture material starting from November 27. The value of the final exam will be the same (25%) as one of the semester exams. A term paper (25%) will be done on some topic of your choosing having to do with some aspect of fungi. The topic does not necessarily have to be a topic that we will be covering this semester. You can select any topic that you feel will be of interest. However, before starting your paper check with me to be certain that the topic will be appropriate. Please try to decide on a topic and discuss it with me as soon as possible. The paper should be between 8-12 pages and have a detailed bibliography.

Extra Credit: The weekend field trips listed above are optional. Each field trip that you go on will be worth 2% of an exam (=2 points). Read a short story or novel in which fungi play an integral part to the plot and write a critical review. Credit will be dependent upon whether it is a short story or a novel.

Also, Mark Merlin at the U of H in Manoa also gives a class on Psychoactive Drug plants every other semester.

Re: mycology [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3843765 - 02/27/05 10:40 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, MJ. I will look for this fellow's course. Sounds very interesting, I hope I can take it without being a certain major or having high bio/etc pre-req's!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology