Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Unproven Beliefs
    #3782388 - 02/15/05 06:41 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

List some beliefs or assumptions you hold which you cannot prove empirically or scientifically, but which you believe in nonetheless. Dig deep. Everyone, save for the most hardcore skeptics(the philosophical skeptics who essentially hold no beliefs) has certain assumptions. Even science makes assumptions about the nature of the universe. Here's mine:

• The laws of physics apply equally throughout the universe.
  • My subjective perception of reality at least somewhat resembles an objective reality which is independent of myself.
  • The scientific process is the most valid means of measuring physical reality.
  • String theory is, at least for the most part, accurate.
  • The Big Bang Theory is a mostly accurate depiction of the beginning of our universe.
  • The universe we inhabit is one among many, possibly even an infinite number of other universes, thus essentially making the term "universe" a misnomer.
  • Although most events in the universe are beyond our control, free will exists at least to some extent.
  • There are non-physical aspects and realms of existence in the universe which transcend spacetime.
  • Consciousness is a non-physical phenomenon which percieves and interacts with the physical universe via carbon-based(along with any other) lifeforms.
  • Individual consciousness exists only superficially. Each individual's consciousness is merely a single cell in a vast, unified network that is a greater consciousness unto itself. Everything is connected to and a part of this consciousness, even inanimate objects such as rocks.
  • Consciousness is not the same as thought or memory, which are functions of the brain, but is instead a self-aware entity percieving those thoughts and memories, tapping into this network would not necessarily entail psychic perception or communication. Rather, it would mean transcending one's ego and experiencing universal awareness as a single unified whole. I believe this is what happens to our consciousness during the process of physical death.
  • Since consciousness is a transcendent, non-physical entity interacting with the physical universe, this unified consciousness can be thought of as God, or an aspect thereof, particularly if one subscribes to a pantheistic or panentheistic view of God.
  • Jesus was not the Son of God in the traditional sense that he is normally thought to be, though in another sense we are all children of God. He was a Jewish mystic who spent much of his life(the "missing years" of his life) attaining a higher state of awareness known as Christ Consciousness. When he said that no one gets to the Father except through him, he meant that one could get closer to God by practicing the divine love which he had for everyone. He was much like a Buddha, but because he lived in a different cultural and religious context, his message was widely misinterpreted.
  • No loving God would have people condemned to eternal torment based on what mythology they believe in.
  • Each person owns their mind, their body, and their life, and no individual or group has a higher claim to those things than the individual who possesses them.
  • Although there is no truly objective morality, a fairly comprehensive, intersubjective moral code which I personally adhere to can be derived from this concept of self-ownership. This moral code recognizes human rights which exist independently of any governing body, and thus are somewhat deceptively referred to as "Natural Rights," though they are irrelevant outside the realm of human interaction, and thus are not completely "natural" in the sense that people think of them.
  • Love in its purest form is not merely a fleeting emotion nor a romantic attachment to any individual, but is rather a higher state of consciousness which is trans-personal and egoless. Like consciousness, this too can also be seen as God or an aspect thereof, hence the saying "God is love."
  • As a panentheist, I would say God is a transcendent unity of all existence which encompasses both the physical and non-physical universe(s).
  • Although I'm sure there are many counterexamples one could give, my experience has been that life has a funny way of working itself out.
  • Although astrology is not a reliable predictor of the future, I believe that the time at which someone is born may have some effect on their personality, though I doubt this is actually significantly related to the movement of stars and planets. In any case, it would only be a very small factor in determining one's personality.
  • Reincarnation in the sense that most people think of it does not exist. The individual consciousness does not survive physical death. However, upon rejoining to that unified consciousness network, that consciousness, which transcends space-time, retains its branches, and thus all conscious beings that have ever existed or will ever exist are simultaneous incarnations of this consiousness, experiencing itself subjectively. So take the "re-" prefix out of reincarnation, and take into account that time is just another dimension like space, and you have something resembling my beliefs about the afterlife.
  • Intuition exists as a manifestation of the mind's subconscious recognition of patterns. It is possible to train one's intuition over time and be more aware of patterns and signals, but ultimately, intuition as a means of guiding one's actions and beliefs is inferior to logic.
  • Extraterrestrial life has to exist somewhere in this universe. Mathematically, it just doesn't make sense that it wouldn't. Most of it is probably microbial, but there may also be intelligent life, possibly even more so than humans. However, I am highly skeptical of claims that extraterrestrials have visited Earth, though I suppose it's possible that they could have brains advanced enough to communicate psychically. If that is the case, then it seems even less likely that they would want to bother physically travelling to Earth in a space ship.
  • A future that might seem dark and chaotic from where we are may actually be the path to peace.

Sorry for the long post. I probably shouldn't post while on dexedrine.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Unproven Beliefs [Re: Silversoul]
    #3782393 - 02/15/05 06:47 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Good post. I'm going to have to digest it for awhile before I add my own thoughts.

--------------------

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
    #3782394 - 02/15/05 06:48 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

One thing science can explain is that dexedrine is highly addcitive.

--------------------

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Unproven Beliefs [Re: Sinbad]
    #3782400 - 02/15/05 06:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

No, dexedrine isn't addictive but things that stimulate the pleasure receptors are.

--------------------

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Re: Unproven Beliefs [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3782406 - 02/15/05 06:56 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Does dexedrine stimulate the pleasure receptors?

I rest my case!

--------------------

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

#3782443 - 02/15/05 07:14 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I was being poetic - I hate absolutism. I don't see the ten thousand things most people 'see'.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#3782547 - 02/15/05 07:56 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Actually, I don't do it for the high(the comedown is definitely not worth it). I do it because I'm a horrible procrastinator and I put off assignments until the night before they're due. That night before the due date is when I'm likely to be wired on dexedrine.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #3783690 - 02/15/05 01:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

A very interesting summation of your unproven beliefs, my friend. You also did a very good job of expressing them in the structure that you did. :thumbup: :mushroom2: :wink:

I'd pretty much have to agree with the vast majority of these unproven beliefs, as well. You've made them textbook - now we just need to get them into the schools. :laugh:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Re: Unproven Beliefs [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3783715 - 02/15/05 01:47 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Oh im sorry, did i pull the rug from underneath your feet.

--------------------

Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
    #3786001 - 02/15/05 09:05 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

dexedrine??? for pussies! why not just get the good shit? oh....but then you'd be a tweaker.....ooooohhhh..? :whatever:

--------------------
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are -Kurt Cobain

Hotter than the left sink handle.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Unproven Beliefs [Re: uriahchase]
    #3786015 - 02/15/05 09:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I take dexedrine because I have a prescription for it.

--------------------

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

#3786305 - 02/15/05 09:47 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have a prescription too, time release dextroamphetamine. It has been at least 4 years since I actually took the stuff as prescribed.. for the past few years I would abuse them by taking 15 or so at once for recreational use. I'm surprised the pharmacy keeps handing this shit out to me.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3786488 - 02/15/05 10:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The only unprovable belief I have is that I implicitly believe in a Creator that made us, watches over us, and loves us. I have no evidence to support this belief. It is something I just know.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Unproven Beliefs [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3786697 - 02/15/05 10:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This should be fun, here goes: my unproven 'beliefs'

Extraterrestrials from different universes and dimensions have been existing on this planet for thousands of years

Homo sapiens is a hybrid species bred with extraterrestrial genes, many of these original breedings were with the 'god' or 'gods' (extraterrestrials) from religious texts. To create a worker (slave) race.

The same 'gods' are the kings and queens and royalties who have been ruling this world, and more recently secretly ruling this world to this very day. The bloodlines kept pure through carefully planned interbreeding to retain their affinities with their interdimensional origins, and retain their powers.

Humans have this very same power but we have been methodically brainwashed to the point of redundancy, thought they still fear us for this ability is still active, though hidden deep.

Most major religions are code, their real meanings hidden in words which are taken literally by the religious masses of today.

The events which unfold in this world and the carefully edited parts shown on TV screens as a sortof reality 'movie' have long been planned.

-More later maybe (what crazy nonsense, eh?)

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#3786849 - 02/15/05 11:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Good post. Unproven beliefs or assumptions form the foundation of any system of thought.

I like to differentiate between belief and assumption. Assumptions are ideas that I am willing to quickly abandon in the face of contradicting evidence. An assumption that I make is that the laws of the universe are constant across space. I don't particularly believe or disbelieve it, but it seems a reasonable opperating assumption. If a scientist comes along with credible observations that are most easily explained by postulating that the laws of the Universe change across space and time, I'd probably believe him.

A belief is different in that a much more drastic experience would be necessary to change it. A belief that I hold is that the evidence of my senses has some relationship to truth, or a postulated objective reality. You stated it pretty well: "My subjective perception of reality at least somewhat resembles an objective reality which is independent of myself." In order for me to accept the opposite of this statement, "My perceptions have no relationship to anything outside themselves", a profound change would have to occur in my life.

Edit: sorry about using the word "belief" in two different senses. The word sense, too.

Edited by phi1618 (02/15/05 11:17 PM)

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#3788728 - 02/16/05 10:11 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Haha I got a lot of these. I'll list some of the most far-out ones for shits and giggles.

* human history is much longer than evidence can be accumulated for, and our civilization is not the most advanced to exist on Earth

* human beings, along with many animals on our planet, were genetically engineered in a lab by a more intelligent species, and planted here on Earth. The different "races" of humans were created separately rather than evolving from a single group in Africa or the Mid East

* extraterrestrial sentient species not only exist, but one species created us, and several others constantly observe our planet, like we observe animals in their natural habitat

* evolution and intelligent design happen side-by-side throughout our universe

BTW Paradigm you touched on a lot of good ones, especially about the current knowings in science. I'm a pantheist as well but not just in the physical sense. I think there are non-physical dimensions too, if that's not an oxymoron. :grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom