Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aquarium Heater, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAcesOnThePhlop
Stranger
NO Pinning Yet! PC Ecuadors
    #3779665 - 02/14/05 07:10 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

So I was successful in getting my rice cakes to colonize with mycelium, all 8 of them. I used tit. Thank you to Bruceallen and ZeroArmy.

However, I have had my cakes sitting in my terrarium for about 2 weeks and still no sign of pins. It's been a turbulent 2 weeks though, and I'm wondering if it's a lost cause and I should start over.

Let me paint the picture.

My setup is:

20 gallon aquarium, wrapped in insulation with two thermometers, one at the bottom, one at the top. I have taped all the wholes in the top of the aquarium to keep the heat and humidity in.

For heat/humidity I am using a submersible aquarium heater. I have two ceramic dishes holding the cakes, sitting in the water.

The temperature stays at about 90 at the very bottom of the tank, and about 78 at the top. So I figure the cakes are somewhere in between. THe humidity WAS at only about 88% for the first week and half, however, i have since installed an ultrasonic humidifier on the lowest setting and the humidity has gone up to about 95%.

Now in the middle of these two weeks, I have been moving and I had an unfortunate accident when moving the aquarium, the cakes fell into the water. I pulled them out immediately and once I got them to their final resting place, I left them out overnight to dry some. Put them back in the next morning.

Even before this though, I noticed some yellowing spots on the cakes, is this mold? Also, i noticed one of the cakes has some water droplets on it, will that hurt?

What can I do to get these to start pinning, or if I have to start again, what can i do to get better results next time?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineVictor
Here To Help
Re: NO Pinning Yet! PC Ecuadors [Re: AcesOnThePhlop]
    #3779750 - 02/14/05 07:28 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

a better bet would be to lower the temp so that the temp most taken up by the cakes would be LOWER!!! than 90. lower 70's would be your best bet--
78 on top is even a little high imo.
does it have light to induce pinning and such?
hope it helps. good luck bro.
-Victor

OfflineVictor
Here To Help
Re: NO Pinning Yet! PC Ecuadors [Re: Victor]
    #3779754 - 02/14/05 07:29 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

if anything, you could crumble em all and make a casing - which is always a good idea.
-Victor

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: NO Pinning Yet! PC Ecuadors [Re: Victor]
    #3779919 - 02/14/05 07:58 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

do this and they will pin.
drop temps as said above.
dunk and coldshock and roll(droping your cake in the water didnt hurt it, cause when you dunk you put cake into water)
give it 12/12 to pin then 8/16 after pins.
now the question, how long after fully colonized did you wait to birth?
also those yellow spots ar more than likely just myc piss and if it is a contam it will show soon.
with all this and the better humidity you should be happy.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineAcesOnThePhlop
Stranger
Re: NO Pinning Yet! PC Ecuadors [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3783838 - 02/15/05 04:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

What does 12/12 and 8/16 mean?

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

#3783846 - 02/15/05 04:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

12 light 12 dark, 8 light 16 dark (hours out of 24)

--------------------

OfflineAcesOnThePhlop
Stranger
Re: NO Pinning Yet! PC Ecuadors [Re: LengthyFellow]
    #3783867 - 02/15/05 04:29 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks.

Lemon, I waited about 2 days after fully colonized to birth.

PS. I have the cakes (all except one that was growing some funky grey stuff) dunked right now.

Offlinefacsimile
Stranger
Re: NO Pinning Yet! PC Ecuadors [Re: LengthyFellow]
    #3788237 - 02/16/05 07:52 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LengthyFellow said:
12 light 12 dark, 8 light 16 dark (hours out of 24)

Do these light cycle things really matter with shrooms? I thought the light is there just to trigger pinning and point the shrooms which way to go?

OfflineAcesOnThePhlop
Stranger
Re: NO Pinning Yet! PC Ecuadors [Re: facsimile]
    #3789430 - 02/16/05 03:37 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

That is what I thought too, I thought there was a minimum number of hours 3hrs. But anything beyond that was unnecessary?

OfflineAcesOnThePhlop
Stranger
    #3792576 - 02/17/05 11:30 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I dunked the cakes for about 13 hrs in water at about 40 F. Sterilized vermiculite in the oven for 1hr at 450 F. Let the verm cool, rolled the cakes.

Made some changes to my aquarium setup, using perlite now for RH (95%!)

For heat i'm using a small terrarium amphibian heater (the kind that sticks to outside on the bottom of the glass) Temps are about 74-76.

For light, I have a lamp over the aquarium and it's on for about 12 hrs /day.

I'm going on 2 days with this setup. Any ideas on when I should start seeing pins?

Quote:

AcesOnThePhlop said:
So I was successful in getting my rice cakes to colonize with mycelium, all 8 of them. I used tit. Thank you to Bruceallen and ZeroArmy.

However, I have had my cakes sitting in my terrarium for about 2 weeks and still no sign of pins. It's been a turbulent 2 weeks though, and I'm wondering if it's a lost cause and I should start over.

Let me paint the picture.

My setup is:

20 gallon aquarium, wrapped in insulation with two thermometers, one at the bottom, one at the top. I have taped all the wholes in the top of the aquarium to keep the heat and humidity in.

For heat/humidity I am using a submersible aquarium heater. I have two ceramic dishes holding the cakes, sitting in the water.

The temperature stays at about 90 at the very bottom of the tank, and about 78 at the top. So I figure the cakes are somewhere in between. THe humidity WAS at only about 88% for the first week and half, however, i have since installed an ultrasonic humidifier on the lowest setting and the humidity has gone up to about 95%.

Now in the middle of these two weeks, I have been moving and I had an unfortunate accident when moving the aquarium, the cakes fell into the water. I pulled them out immediately and once I got them to their final resting place, I left them out overnight to dry some. Put them back in the next morning.

Even before this though, I noticed some yellowing spots on the cakes, is this mold? Also, i noticed one of the cakes has some water droplets on it, will that hurt?

What can I do to get these to start pinning, or if I have to start again, what can i do to get better results next time?

Edited by AcesOnThePhlop (02/17/05 11:31 AM)

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

#3794267 - 02/17/05 06:28 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think anything over a few hours is necessary but some will argue that you will get better pinsets for future flushes if it is getting more light.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Aquarium Heater, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation