Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJatoba
Stranger
What would happen to blind people on shrooms?
    #3772213 - 02/12/05 09:18 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Im just wondering what would happen. Would they be able to see all the crazy visuals, or would they get everything except that? Anybody know a blind person thats tripped before(on anything)?

--------------------
The difference between something and nothing is anything, and thats what I do.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Re: What would happen to blind people on shrooms? [Re: Jatoba]
    #3772230 - 02/12/05 09:29 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Good question.

--------------------
Flashbacks are God's way of saying, "This one's on me".

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3772252 - 02/12/05 09:38 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

This has been asked before. I found a link to a study that had 10 blind people (both people that were born blind and people that became blind later in life) and the results were that there weren't really any visual effects.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: What would happen to blind people on shrooms? [Re: theocean06]
    #3772269 - 02/12/05 09:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i remember this question being asked one time also and this guy said his friend was blind and when he took shrooms he saw colors he never saw before. dont know how reliable that is though. but hey ocean even with a study of 10 people you could not have accurate results. dont you think? cause lets say only 10% of people who are blind will experience anything then you have a small chance of it being among those 10 to be part of that 10%. then theres the whole fact of if the testes were givin a high enough dose. but hey even if they didnt have visuals they got a good ass body buzz.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #3772270 - 02/12/05 09:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think they would get visual, depending on where the cause of their blindness lies. Most of the visual effects (closed eye for example) are caused by the brain, not the optic nerve....therefore, if the optic nerve is damaged, and not the brain, I see no reason why they wouldn't get the CEV effect. However, if their blindness was caused by a problem in the part of their brain that works with visualizations, then my guess is that they wouldn't see anything. Some of the visual effects are caused by the 3rd eye being opened, and they too would be present I assume.

--------------------

Offlinetheocean06

Re: What would happen to blind people on shrooms? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3772296 - 02/12/05 09:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well, there has never been a study on this so there is no way to say for sure. I am only saying that I read where 10 random blind people took psychedelics (I think mushrooms) and none of them really saw an open eye visuals and the closed eye visuals varied from person to person (about half didn't really experience any and the other half did). This of course is not an accurate account of what would happen to blind people in general since there were so few people studied.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

OfflineShroomeroUno
Quick Learner
Loc: FunkyTown,Tx.
    #3772301 - 02/12/05 10:00 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

It would still be fun because of the trips you have while your eyes are close those have often been more intese for me then when my eyes are open
ShroomeroUno

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
Re: What would happen to blind people on shrooms? [Re: ShroomeroUno]
    #3772317 - 02/12/05 10:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

There are all levels of blindess. Some people are blind in the center of their vision, others may have "tunnel vision". Some people may only be able to see blurry shapes that are objects.

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

Offlinetheocean06

Re: What would happen to blind people on shrooms? [Re: ShroomeroUno]
    #3772321 - 02/12/05 10:11 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Oh it would without a doubt be an interesting experience for the person, just that the visuals may be lacking.

And Myco, the people were blind, meaning they couldn't see at all (or maybe a very little amount).

Edit: Found this -

http://forums.lycaeum.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000733

"Kenneth Ring has done LSD research where he has dosed congenial blind people, and in many instances they would have an out-o-body and actually be able to "see" things which occured in "consensus" reality"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- So, I would have to say it all depends on the person taking it.

--------------------

Edited by theocean06 (02/12/05 10:18 PM)

Offlineacoostick
Gonzo

Loc: Tennessee
    #3772381 - 02/12/05 10:43 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

there has been studies on color blind people and lsd and how they see the colors better on and afterwards the colors stand out more and some, who tripped alot, have reported being able to answer way more on the color blind tests

--------------------
Shine On,           

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
Re: What would happen to blind people on shrooms? [Re: acoostick]
    #3772828 - 02/13/05 01:22 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

well vision is not just a part of the eye, but a part of the brain that forms early in development

if they were born blind, that area of the brain would never form, and so i dont think visuals would form when tripping

if they had vision and then went blind, they would probably be able to get visuals tripping, because the visual part of the brain was already formed.

At least this is what i conclude from everything i learned in my brain and behavior class in college. I've never read or performed a study on it.

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

OfflineBorgFace
PEENTASTIC
Loc: Australia
    #3774681 - 02/13/05 03:33 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I would expect that the visions experienced by the blind would be very similar to REM-states of pre-natal children, that being hypnagogic and lacking comparable/definable features and forms.

So basically, like what you experience behind closed eyelids as you nod off to sleep. Squiggly lines, circles, basic geometric shapes etc.

Borg.

--------------------
Give me an ounce of civet, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination!

InvisibleMerkin
neep.
 User Gallery

Loc: Ass Flavoured Pie Factory
    #3775288 - 02/13/05 05:57 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

theocean06 said:
This has been asked before. I found a link to a study that had 10 blind people (both people that were born blind and people that became blind later in life) and the results were that there weren't really any visual effects.

could you link us to a URL ?

--------------------
Wheels of cheese wheeels of cheeeeese!!!

Offlinetheocean06

Re: What would happen to blind people on shrooms? [Re: Merkin]
    #3775330 - 02/13/05 06:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I would like to, but I found the site a couple months ago.  I never saved it, but I am still looking - no luck so far :frown:

--------------------

Offlinei_rage_against
Mwaa ha ha
Female User Gallery

Loc: a shithole in the northwe...
    #3775524 - 02/13/05 06:51 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I can't see greens and blues. However, when I'm tripping on mush/lsd I can see very distinct colors. I don't really know how to explain because then when I come down everything goes back to the way it was before. I can't really tell you if I'm seeing green and blue or something else but I know that I can see colors that I don't normally see in regular life.

--------------------
whoever told you that is your enemy.

OfflineBorgFace
PEENTASTIC
Re: What would happen to blind people on shrooms? [Re: i_rage_against]
    #3776203 - 02/13/05 09:27 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

It depends if your ailment is cortical or mental.

In the abscence of visual stimulii your brain may be able to compensate and produce the appropriate mental activity that would correspond to seeing green and blue. I imagine this would be quite different to what you normally see so yeah what you saw may very well have been the colours you are blind to.

Just out of curiosity, I've always wondered what it is like to be colourblind. Are there colours you know you are not colourblind to that bear some semblance to your impression of green/blue?

I would hate to not be able to see green, but then again who says what I see as being green is in fact not blue? It does your head in thinking about these types of things :grin:

--------------------

Offlinei_rage_against
Mwaa ha ha
Female User Gallery

Loc: a shithole in the northwe...
Re: What would happen to blind people on shrooms? [Re: BorgFace]
    #3778707 - 02/14/05 02:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I've always thought the same thing... an apple may be red but who's to say everybody's red is really "red" Intersting to think about.
Being taught as kids we learn grass is green and the sky is blue. To me they're kind of a similar color (different shades obbiously depending on saturation etc.) but they kinda look similar to "brown"

People say stuff like man, doesn't it suck to look at the ocean or trees or whatever, but I've always seen things this way so it's no big deal to me, I'm glad to see most colors and I think it gives me better appreciation for texture etc.

On a side note, I'm an artist and I would really love to see my painting for somebody elses perspective, I think about that everday.

Sorry if this post doesn't make much sense. I'm just kind of writing things as they pop into my head.

--------------------
whoever told you that is your enemy.

Offlinetomas
half scientist,half monkey

#3778748 - 02/14/05 02:19 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Huxley had very bad vision, he was almost blind. He wrote that he never had good visuals with LSD and mescaline.

Colorblindness is rooted in the retina, it's a problem in the cones (photoreceptors more sensitive to a fragment of the spectrum). So I don't think a psychedelic would make any difference. But I too have the impression of seeing richer colors when I'm tripping, and some of the colors I've seen (especially with 2CB, but also with mushrooms and LSD) I have never seen before. This could be because when tripping I pay attention to details that I normally don't, or because sensory input is unfiltered and I don't automatically categorize some unique color as "red".

Edited by tomas (02/14/05 02:36 PM)

OfflineBorgFace
PEENTASTIC
Re: What would happen to blind people on shrooms? [Re: tomas]
    #3779395 - 02/14/05 04:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah but what I was trying to say is that even though the persons eye's are defective, that doesn't mean the centres responsible for processing that hue in the brain are.

For instance in dream scapes. You are perceiving things without perceiving them, so maybe in an unfiltered medium there are colours that they would be otherwise unable to see.

--------------------

Offlinetomas
half scientist,half monkey

Re: What would happen to blind people on shrooms? [Re: BorgFace]
    #3779526 - 02/14/05 04:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

BorgFace said:
For instance in dream scapes. You are perceiving things without perceiving them, so maybe in an unfiltered medium there are colours that they would be otherwise unable to see.

I see :smile: that's an interesting question. The brain of a colorblind person may never develop the ability to "see" the full spectrum.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag