Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinethe universe
Harbinger ofEldritch Despair
Male

Loc: Under your bed
2 "things"
    #377136 - 08/23/01 01:38 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I think that maybe the only 2 real "things" are you, and god. Reality, your life, your experience, that's all just you and god communicating. Whatcha all think?

"Knives out, catch da mouse, squash his head, put him in the pot"-Radiohead

--------------------
"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world."- J. D. Salinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Re: 2 "things" [Re: the universe]
    #377179 - 08/23/01 03:25 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

you?ve got a point there... but i would go deeper... the only thing exists is god... for we are part of him... and we were made in his image and likeness... so we create our reality...

--------------------

OfflinePhyl
old hand
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: 2 "things" [Re: In(di)go]
    #377221 - 08/23/01 04:40 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

the only thing exists is god... for we are part of him...

You are infinite, and so is god, so you're both the same thing

Take care

Invisiblemr crisper

Re: 2 "things" [Re: Phyl]
    #377383 - 08/23/01 09:27 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

fuggit
1 thing then

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: 2 "things" [Re: mr crisper]
    #377561 - 08/24/01 02:37 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Is this for real? I know lack of evidence isnt a big issue to those that need a god but its the 21 century, its time to drop the ancient myths dont you think?

Edited by missulena on 08/24/01 03:40 AM.

OfflinePhyl
old hand
Re: 2 "things" [Re: missulena]
    #377569 - 08/24/01 02:54 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I would recommend reading 'The Holographic Universe'. There is plenty of evidence that things are very very different what you probably believe.

Science is quickly proving that many of the 'ancient myths' are based on truth, and until something is undisputably disproven, I like to keep an open mind.

Take care

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
    #377577 - 08/24/01 03:05 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Theres probably a bit of truth in everything but theres certain things with alot more truth in them than other things and it usually becomes traceble by scientific methods. Religions are Anthrocentric take a look at the natural environment and the state its in, its in this state because those people with the active imaginations who came up with religious ideas couldnt predict or forgot to mention the current conservation crisis that this world would eventually face, just like they couldnt predict or they forgot to mention the profound impact genetic engineering will have on everything in the near future. Why wasnt there any mention of these real issues that are now clouded by bullshit lies? no doubt religious people will adapt there beliefs but they are to scared to drop them completely why?

Edited by missulena on 08/24/01 04:15 AM.

Edited by missulena on 08/24/01 04:18 AM.

OfflinePhyl
old hand
    #377591 - 08/24/01 03:33 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Theres probably a bit of truth in everything but theres certain things with alot more truth in them than other things and it usually becomes traceble by scientific methods
What happens when science contradicts science? Or when science fails to provide an answer to your question? Then how do you know what is truth?

a look at the natural environment and the state its in, its in this state because those people with the active imaginations who came up with religious ideas couldnt predict or forgot to mention the current conservation crisis that this world would eventually face
So you're blaming the problems of the world on the failiure of religion to predict the future? Who ever said that it could?

just like they couldnt predict or they forgot to mention the profound impact genetic engineering will have on everything in the near future
I fail to see what this has to do with anything. Especially religion.

no doubt religious people will adapt there beliefs but they are to scared to drop them completely why
I don't think they're scared. If a person gains something through their beliefs, then why drop them?

Take care

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
    #377618 - 08/24/01 04:59 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Be realistic, I think the track record for science is pretty good,surely you agree

2. My point is religion had a hell of a lot to say about things that arent even relevant now, most of what religions teach is useless when applied to our current situation .

3. Well GE has everything to do with the future of everything organic including man but technicaly you are right it has NOTHING to do with religion.

4. It is going to happen but going by this topic and the responses obviously not for at least another 80 years.
They believe they gain protection if they believe in god because they are scared, the word god gets mentioned more times in hospital wards than it would on a summers day at the beach dont you think?

OfflineShiznitz
addict
Loc: Canada
    #377805 - 08/24/01 01:12 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Nobody knows if there is a God or not... We'll all just have to wait and find out.

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

Offlinethe universe
Harbinger ofEldritch Despair
Male

Loc: Under your bed
    #377813 - 08/24/01 01:19 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

This thread is going in the entirely wrong direction. That's why I hate the word "god".
My user name is "the universe" because I realize that everything is connected and it's all really 1 "thing", but obviously we are each of us a smaller part of that thing. And I also realize that there are no real things, only relationships. We only know a thing in the way it affects us. If something didn't affect us in any way, directly or indirectly, then we wouldn't know it existed. So this idea shows that communication is extremely important. And since each of us has a different POV on the whole matrix then obviously the rest of the mess is "god", which is just an extension of our own conciousness, talking to us. So we're just talking to ourselves. In a way. Maybe "god" can't exist as just 1 "thing", and has to be the communication of it's smaller parts. This whole idea has nothing to do with old myths. I think science might prove it right someday. If not, whatever. I find that most scientists have less than noble motivations anyway. So let's drop the science vs. voodoo argument, and have a real discussion here people.

"Knives out, catch da mouse, squash his head, put him in the pot"-Radiohead

--------------------
"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world."- J. D. Salinger

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Loc: california, orange
    #377820 - 08/24/01 01:29 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

god really doesnt exist, unless you think it does. reality is different for everyone, even if they are living in the same world. the thing is if you live youre life thinking if you do good then god will send you to heaven, then no one can tell you it isnt true, and you will still believe it. but think if no one believed in god. you would change in a minute and you know it so dont deny it. it is just another trend, to make little people feel special and make them feel strong about themselves. it shows off of everyone. they try not to talk about it as much as they can, and then, on sundays when they go to church and everyone starts talking about it then they dont feel the need to be quiite since no one else is. and no one thinks about how this little christianity game works, they just like to play the game since it makes them happy, and i guess being happy is the most important thing, even if you waste youre life doing so. and why would god even like you? you go around using up natural resources and killing animals and ruining shit just because you arent fat enough. hay, i know you prolly arent the one that goes and butchures animals, but otheres do, and you make money to buy it. hey, so do i. but i dont enjoy it, and theres enough to go around anyways.you are gods unwanted children if he does exist. everyone lives in a little fantasy world with little rules and school crushes and other little shit that just makes people grow up to be lunatics, theat lie about it there whole lives and live normal and "happy" im happy too, but that is because i make my own happiness and dont be stupid. i am sorry but it is hard to explain things like this to you simple minded folk, if you acyually read my post and didnt make up an excuse for every thing i said then you can pm me or what have you with some questions.

one plus one plus one equals three

--------------------
the little kridders of nature; they dont know that thyre ugly!

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #377832 - 08/24/01 01:45 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I think maybe your referring to christianity or one of the other "mainstream religions" there are many other religions without set doctrines, they are beleifs on how and why things are the way they are. Science is in fact a religion of its own. Oh and just so you know, what is now science, was once religion and what is religion today will soon be science. All science is, is an explanation not a definition.

I would have to say that science is the main religion of this civilization, and in a couple thousand years another civilization will dig up our relics and try to define our way of life and say everything was based upon a religion called "Science" or some wacky name.

Novelty

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: 2 "things" [Re: aluminum_can]
    #377835 - 08/24/01 01:47 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

"it is hard to explain things like this to you simple minded folk"
~~~
well, i feel a whole lot better now...
but, oh, thank you so much for trying...
if i had two dry brain cells, i could rub them together and start a fire... or something...
obfuscation, my boy, that's the key to getting ahead in this world... is that clear now?

old enough to know better
not old enough to care

--------------------
not old enough to care

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #377838 - 08/24/01 01:50 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

www.spiritwalk.org/watts.htm

not old enough to care

--------------------
not old enough to care

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: 2 "things" [Re: gnrm23]
    #377891 - 08/24/01 03:17 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Alan Watts On GOD
The difficulty for most of us in the modern world is that the old-fashioned idea of God has become incredible or implausible. When we look through our telescopes and microscopes, or when we just look at nature, we have a problem. Somehow the idea of God we get from the holy scriptures doesn't seem to fit the world around us, just as you wouldn't ascribe a composition by Stravinsky to Bach. The style of God venerated in the church, mosque, or synagogue seems completely different from the style of the natural universe. It's hard to conceive of the author of the other.

On SELF
Underneath the superficial self, which pays attention to this and that, there is another self more really us than I. And the more you become aware of the unknown self -- if you become aware of it -- the more you realize that it is inseparably connected with everything else that is. You are a function of this total galaxy, bounded by the Milky Way, and this galaxy is a function of all other galaxies. You are that vast thing that you see far, far off with great telescopes. You look and look, and one day you are going to wake upand say, "Why, that's me!" And in knowing that, you know that you never die. You are the eternal thing that comes and goes, that appears -- now as John Jones, now as Mary Smith, now as Betty Brown -- and so it goes, forever and ever and ever.

Yes. -Sclorch

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: 2 "things" [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #377926 - 08/24/01 03:59 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

You have fallen into a mental trap that many make, there is a big differance between science and religion they are not the same thing at all. Science is tangible witjout making ridiculous assumptions we can assume there is a reality and science fits in nicely with it everyone is coming from a different angle and this is where the confusion comes into it there beliefs are highly influenced by there own needs and desires but good science filters this out and this is why its not as popular when done correctly science is cold and unbiased its hard to worship because its indifferent but Im sure many would if they could

Offlinekushlover
stringcheesehead

Loc: USA
    #377956 - 08/24/01 04:49 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

In the immortal words of Carl Stephenson, "All I know is what I observe, all the rest is created by mind".

I used to feel about and attack religion like AC, but have since taken on a more agnostic stance. Personnally, I feel that as long as people actively observe and contemplate reality on their own (not just take on ideas others want them to) they are doing alright. Obviously, no one person knows the absolutely true answers to everything or there wouldn't be so many ideas. Unfortunately, most people take on ideas about reality and "know" that they are absolute and true. This is where alot of fighting comes in.

--------------------
What I'm about to tell you is the truth.......
What I just told you is a lie.

OfflineShroom Gecko
journeyman

#377988 - 08/24/01 05:46 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

One reason there is all this confusion is because of the difference between science and religion. God isn't going to be over any science. There will be reasons. But there shouldn't be a difference. They must co-exist. Einstein failed at finding TOE (Theory of everything) because he wasn't trying to include everything. TOE will HAVE to include any type of god. Einstein even said that he thought that a religion like buddism was going to take over in the future. Religion is going to have to give a little and science still has to give a lot. And all the stupid people all over the world need to wake up.

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: 2 "things" [Re: Shroom Gecko]
    #377995 - 08/24/01 05:58 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

you cant unify everything thats all the failure at working out toe theory meant, like you say it is beyond an individuals comprehension even einsteins but that doesnt mean just because its beyond human comprehension so far that the only explanation is that it has to be a god with intentions.
einstein probably prefered buddhism because he was a humanitarian and buddhism talks about compassion for all life forms, it is less like a religion than all the other religions, there is no god its about personal growth its a philosophy that doesnt restrict your freedom as much.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds