Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSilent_Echo
~~Psychonaut~~

Loc: Inside My Head
Racing Minds?
    #3777673 - 02/14/05 07:49 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i heard one time that you are actually using more of your brain when you are tripping, and that it would be that way all the time if you used that much of your brain, and the reason it seems like your mind is going 200 mph is because your not used to being able to think of that many things at one time, or being able to use all that power..does anyone know if it is true that you use more of your brain while tripping? i read it somewhere i think, somthing about how they hook you up to a machine that checks for brain activity, and it was a study with mesculine (spelling), LSD, and Mushrooms. it makes sense to me..

peace :mushroom2:

--------------------
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.
-Bill Hicks (R.I.P)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekrin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Racing Minds? [Re: Silent_Echo]
    #3777777 - 02/14/05 08:38 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

its probably more along the lines of chaotic neurological activity rather than some kind of advanced more powerful thinking ability

--------------------

OfflineAztec
DilatedHallucinator
 User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom with the caterpi...
    #3778077 - 02/14/05 10:01 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Good question. Some interesting things here to read for you....man just thinking about being in a state caused by any hallucinogen until death gives me a headache...cause of how bad my mind has raced with every experience with the sacred fungi

Vollenweider FX, Leenders KL, Scharfetter C, Maguire P, Stadelmann O, Angst J.
Positron emission tomography and fluorodeoxyglucose studies of metabolic hyperfrontality and psychopathology in the psilocybin model of psychosis.
Research Department, Psychiatric University Hospital of Zurich, Switzerland
Neuropsychopharmacology 1997 May;16(5):357-72

The effects of the indolehallucinogen psilocybin, a mixed 5-HT2 and 5-HT1 agonist, on regional cerebral glucose metabolism were investigated in 10 healthy volunteers with PET and [F-18]-fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) prior to and following a 15- or 20-mg dose of psilocybin. Psychotomimetic doses of psilocybin were found to produce a global increase in cerebral metabolic rate of glucose (CMRglu) with significant and most marked increases in the frontomedial and frontolateral cortex (24.3%), anterior cingulate (24.9%), and temporomedial cortex (25.3%). Somewhat smaller increases of CMRglu were found in the basal ganglia (18.5%), and the smallest increases were found in the sensorimotor (14.7%) and occipital cortex (14.4%). The increases of CMRglu in the prefrontal cortex, anterior cingulate, temporomedial cortex, and putamen correlated positively with psychotic symptom formation, in particular with hallucinatory ego disintegration. The present data suggest that excessive 5-HT2 receptor activation results in a hyperfrontal metablic pattern that parallels comparable metabolic findings associated with acute psychotic episodes in chronic schizophrenics and contrasts with the hypofrontality in chronic schizophrenic patients.

Wonder if someone can explain this ^ in a more simpler way...I understand only a small bit of it....increased memory storage and activity in certain brain regions

Here are some more interesting information and thoughts

Think of the brain (as distinct from the mind) as a kind of radio. With "normative" levels of serotonin, the brain is tuned to "consensual reality" - something like the local Pop or Talk Radio station. By substituting psilocybin, Ibogaine, dimethyltryptamine, or some other psychedelic compound for serotonin and other neurotransmitters, you change the station and suddenly you begin to pick up the sensorial equivalent of avant-garde jazz, Tibetan chants, or another channel resonating with new and astonishing information. Yet your mind, the perceiving core of the self, remains more or less unaffected. In that sense, psychedelics - unlike alcohol or heroin - are not even intoxicating in an ordinary sense of the word.

Since these same Psychoactive tryptamines occur in humans, it is possible that their activity may be promoted by the actions of endogenous beta-carbolines for normal psychological processes; e.g. the production of visual / emotive imagery in sleep. The periodic altering of consciousness in sleep may even be necessary for the maintenance of normal mental health, since only a few days of sleep deprivation will result in a seepage of hallucinatory phenomena into the waking state. On a similar line of reasoning, an offset dreaming mechanism may explain some aspects of hallucinatory psychoses. The willful induction of a psychedelic state presents us with another option which is probably an extension of an intrinsic desire, at least in some, to know. Such an experience offers a unique glimpse of the soul as a temporary dream-like state. Thus it seems quite normal that some choose to induce such a state for the purpose of examining the psyche within the frame work of a waking state of mind.

Psilocybin and psilocin are noteworthy in that their molecular structures are very similar to chemicals present in the human brain. Psilocin, for example, differs from the human neurotransmitter serotonin by only one hydroxy molecule. In this respect, the mushrooms are mirror images of the human brain.

At the opposite extreme of the spectrum, hallucinogenic effects are viewed in a positive light and associated with super-normal alterations in sensory, emotional and cognitive effects. The hallucinogen effects are associated with Eastern philosophy: LSD and related compounds can induce mystical experiences. They also enhance creativity, enhance the operation of the mind and emotions, and produce effects highly therapeutic for the psychological growth of the individual

--------------------
"You know the wisdom is reflected the knowledge when its manifested, If not fed in due time the mind is anorexic." - Cormega

OfflineAztec
DilatedHallucinator
 User Gallery

Re: Racing Minds? [Re: Aztec]
    #3778368 - 02/14/05 11:15 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Found some more information from Franz X. Vallenweider, M.D. Published in 1998 that might interest you

Five brain regions that can be interpetreted as useful "modules" or "units".
1) Includes the frontomedial, frontolateral, anterior and posterior cingulate, parietal, and sensorimotor cortex. The quality as a whole of this factor structure is not disrupted in a altered state of conscience, but the activity of brain regions within such a unit alters with pyschedelic states. The "fronto-parietal factor" appears to play a fundamental role as a "central supervision and execution system" insofar as this unit is involved in ego-structuring processes and self-representation by interpretation and integration of extra- and intrasensory information, planning and execution of motor functions.

--------------------
"You know the wisdom is reflected the knowledge when its manifested, If not fed in due time the mind is anorexic." - Cormega

OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

#3779197 - 02/14/05 03:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The way I see it, when we are tripping on mushrooms crazy neuroligical shit happens in our brains.  We start to experience our senses in a different way, we feel things to the slightest scent, and more that one sense at a time.  These senses become mixed up, and since sensation is known to be triggered by neurons which send signals to our brains from different parts of our bodies with different functions, the neurological signals start flowing freely through our brains and into different parts of the brain which govern different bodily funtions.  That explains why people may experience being able to taste colours, or see the music.  All the sense which are being influenced react in the brain as being scattered in its different control systems, and this is what increased awareness is, more external information being experienced at one moment and experiencing them from different perspectives (seeing, hearing, taste, touch).

-Feelings of the infinity and living "in the moment" is you being aware of many senses at one time, thus not being able to think logically through one sensation and having racing thoughts and more than 1 thoguht at a time. It's hard to process all the information at once, but we know that in can lead to many answers about life and existence, because we experience our existence to the very fullest possible.  It is these experiences which we know, and it is all that we know.  We only know ourselves through our senses and therefore we experience them all as one spirit when they are blended with the use of psychedelics.  We only know the emotions that we have experienced in our bodies.  We do not know anybody elses, but we can only assume how one may feel if you relate it to what you have experienced, but that in truth, only goes so far.  We all know that everyone has very different experiences, while still having been ability to function the same way.

With psychedelics, everyone experiences the same changes in neurological perception, such as racing minds, but our unique experiences in life are what determine the outcome of the trip and such.

Ok I don't know what I'm talking about any more so i'll just leave it at that.

I'm pretty stoned, lol.  :stoned: :lol: :tongue:

--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

Re: Racing Minds? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #3780456 - 02/14/05 08:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ginseng1 said:
The way I see it, when we are tripping on mushrooms crazy neuroligical shit happens in our brains.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

--------------------

OfflineBorgFace
PEENTASTIC
Loc: Australia
Re: Racing Minds? [Re: krin]
    #3780863 - 02/14/05 09:28 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I beg to differ about enhanced neural processing.

It's a well known fact that mushrooms, even in low doses, greatly enhances visual and audile acuity. The result of which is increased neural activity which corresponds to the increase of sensory input.

As for the revelations and suchforth, I just take it in my stride as something that for now defies explanation.

Borg.

--------------------
Give me an ounce of civet, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination!

OfflineSilent_Echo
~~Psychonaut~~

Loc: Inside My Head
Re: Racing Minds? [Re: BorgFace]
    #3781351 - 02/14/05 10:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i believe (or want to belive) they do allow you to use more of your brain...but your not used to it, so you don't know how to interpret it. So everything goes haywire...but if i could learn to control it...has anyone ever read psilocybin mushrooms of the world? the author said he was on a high dose and had a vision that a bunch of cattle were going to drown in a Vally or something, and it happend the next day...Indians have used them for many years, to predict things like that. I'm not saying you eat an 1/8 and your going to know what the weather is tomorrow...but it has a connection with the earth (they come from the ground) some more of the occurrences in that book, he said were all about nature..i know when i trip and i look at a tree or something...just go outside and stare at a tree...you'll see what i mean, i cant explain it..anyone else have any thoughts?

--------------------
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.
-Bill Hicks (R.I.P)

OfflineVeter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3785450 - 02/15/05 07:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

There are many things that are complete mysteries behind how mushrooms affect the brain, mostly due to the lack of knowledge about the brain itself.
One thing I find funny is how no matter how many times I do mushrooms with other people(one or more people), We have extremely similar experiences. The times that Ive had horrible trips and not actually been vocal about it, later on, Ill find out that the others who were with me also had the same experience. Or if I feel enlightened and get that feeling of understanding, so will the rest of the group. None of this is superficial or influenced by the other people either. Its almost like being connected to the collective unconsciousness. Weak theory, I know, but basically it just proves to me how very little we understand about our brains and our minds.

--------------------
Let the Demons have their place, if so, it's angels you'll create.

OfflineAztec
DilatedHallucinator
 User Gallery

#3785675 - 02/15/05 08:26 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Silent_Echo said:
i know when i trip and i look at a tree or something...just go outside and stare at a tree...you'll see what i mean, i cant explain it..anyone else have any thoughts?

I know what you're talking about, I remember trippin' on a windy and cloudy day and I was sittin' down lookin' at a a little tree and these huge trees in the background were swayin' in real slow motion and I just sat there admiring beauty of life itself. Then sun rays peirced through clouds down through branches of trees from above and shined bright upon the ground around me...it was a surreal experience

--------------------

OfflineUpSwell
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3788415 - 02/16/05 08:02 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This is pretty straightforward.  You don't have to look at the mechanisms of psychs in the brain, look at the results.

Has a tripping person cured cancer?  Solved long-standing mathematical problems?  Come up with a new form of government that WORKS?

If you're interested in how psychedelics 'improve' your thinking, go take your SATs while tripping or your finals.  That should let you know right away how beneficial drugs are for your brain.  :wink:

OfflineGreat Scott
Trigger Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Control Grid
Re: Racing Minds? [Re: UpSwell]
    #3789234 - 02/16/05 12:39 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Since when was the SAT a good test for how well your brain works?

--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

OfflineTrippinNinjaBuddha
ShroominSamurai
    #3791070 - 02/16/05 07:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

try Kary Mullis

he invented the polymerase chain reaction and credits his findings to his use of LSD.

:werd:

but i'm not saying eating some shrooms is going to get you a nobel prize.

--------------------
Jumped in a river, what did I see?
Black eyed angels swimming with me
Moon full of stars and astral cars, all the figures I used to see
All my lovers were there with me
All my past and all my futures
We went to heaven in a little rowboat
There was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt

OfflineBorgFace
PEENTASTIC
Loc: Australia
    #3791119 - 02/17/05 12:03 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Standardised testing means shit.

Testing how intelligent you are in relation to the population.

w00t!

I hope you realise there is a fundamental difference between learning and education. Mushrooms are a REAL learning experience, if you want to get an education stay in your local gestapo institution.

Borg.

--------------------
Give me an ounce of civet, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination!

Offlineseverus_2005
Stranger
    #5177587 - 01/13/06 04:20 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Hey, I know what you mean. I'm still a newbie here, but my second time trippin' I remember seeing some shrubery and thinking,"...this is the whole world, this is heaven..."
                                    :mushroom2:

OfflineOrdep
Stranger
Re: Racing Minds? [Re: severus_2005]
    #5179324 - 01/14/06 05:43 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Hmm, I have to disagree that Psychedelics haven't been a part of human progress. I see influence on our society in very vague ways, but it's very fuzzy to try and get information on exactly how much influence there is. Of course, you can look to people like Steve Jobs who said that acid was one of the two most important things that has happened to him. In fact, there was quite a bit of acid floating around the beginnings of silicon valley...

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

#5179352 - 01/14/06 06:24 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

UpSwell said:
If you're interested in how psychedelics 'improve' your thinking, go take your SATs while tripping or your finals.  That should let you know right away how beneficial drugs are for your brain.  :wink:

i did that for some of my first year exams at university. i experimented with the effects of a small psychedelic dose on my ability to solve math problems, and it helps a lot!

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate