Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

The Hawks Eye @ Telluride Mushroom Festival
    #377806 - 08/24/01 01:12 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

heya peeps,
I'm in Telluride this weekend for the annual mushroom festival, and having a great time I may add.

I thought I would pop in the cyber cafe from time to time to give you all a heads up.

So far, last night Gary Lincoff, author of one the best mushroom field guides, North American Audobon society mushroom feild guide, opened the conference.
He gave a interesting little speech on how many of our mushrooms from this contentant end up on other continants through the rhizomeclia on roots. Nothing new but interesting :)

Then this morning, Gary started the day off with a great little introductoin class on all the edible mushrooms prolific in the Telluride area. Lots of rain this year and mushrooms are EVERYWHERE. Every group that goes out on hunts is coming back with baskets full of many species, and its still early on in the conference.

Next up was Paul Stamets who gave a great introduction to psilocybes and the history of them. Also he pointed out about a new species of psilocybe up here in Tellurdie discovered a few years ago. Only one speciman was found so it cant be named yet. He cloned it and showed is pictures of a very beautiful mycelium that produced bans, or rather waves around the agar wedges, and strangly enough produces a slime like substance which he thinks is a natural defense againts the harsh winter conditions here. He of course motivated everyone to be looking extra hard for this new psilocybe species here in Telluride so they can get enough specimans to properly name/identify it, but its definatly a blueing psilocybe. Hopefully I'll find one and bring back spores.... je je :)

His presentation was very motivating as well as moving within.

So much more to go. So far everything has been great. The only thing I have been disappointed about so far is the lack of vendors up here. I was really hoping to find some nice mushroom collectables but nothing :(

The people up here are real nice.... of course. Lots of hipppies running around :) DB and I checked out the local bar scene last night and met quite a few nice woman as well got the inside scoop of the local party scene for the weekend.

Ok...gotta run... so much more to do :)

-Peace-
www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinestonErollEr1
The Psilocybinsolution
Re: The Hawks Eye @ Telluride Mushroom Festival [Re: Ryche Hawk]
    #377839 - 08/24/01 01:51 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Sound like you?re having a ball...*wanna be there*
well well..
Take care...
//stonErollEr

=====================================
Why good to the park and fly a kite when you can pop a pill?
=====================================

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #378019 - 08/24/01 06:50 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Im glad your having a great time. I planned on going, I live only a couple hours away, but I couldn't afford to take any more days off of work. Hopefully you can find more specimens of that new species, then if you take pictures I can go up and look for myself. Have fun!!!!

Novelty

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OnlineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #378377 - 08/25/01 06:40 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Have fun Ryche. Must be exciting to be there where a new species was announced to have been found.

Wish I were there.

"Where do you draw the line?"

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#380723 - 08/28/01 01:16 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

So where was I ...oh yah, the mushroom festival :smile:

I didn't make it to all the lectures but about 1/2 of them.
Paul Stamets is AMAZING !!!!  His presentation and research he discusses is nothing short of spectacular.
The guys enthusiasm towards mushrooms was very infectious. I wanted to start working and doing research almost as soon as I walked out of his conference :wink:.

Some of the key elements he talked about is how smart mycelium is. So many other researchers are looking to spores for answers and he has found many of the answers right in the mycelium, instead of the fruiting bodies and spores.  He gave many different examples of how smart mycelium is to ensure its survival.
As well as all the medicinal values of mycelia, and new ones being discovered every day. He has many patents going on with all of his research, look forward to some big discoveries coming from Paul Stamets www.fungi.com in the near future.
Pauls books were such a huge inspiration to me in the beginning when I first started growing mushrooms and started this spore business, but hearing him in person was icing on the cake. If any of you ever get the chance to hear him DO IT :smile:

He also talked a lot about psilocybes. He is not shy to express his passion for the psilocybe mushrooms.
He didn't talk about cultivation of them, but more so the history and geographical locations as well as many different species of psilocybes.

There were so many different stories of research he talked about, to many to post them all at once.
One I found interesting is the button mushroom industry has been lying to us :smile: Many of the agaricus genus mushrooms, such as your common grocier store button mushrooms have hydrazines (spelling) in them. Which is a known cancer causing agent.  A rather high concentration of 2%. Its even used in rocket fuel. Another interesting one is the Agaricus Ablazii. Now here is a catch 22. This mushroom has just recently gained a lot of attention for having some alkaloids that are helping to fight off cancer, yet at the same time its high in hydrazines. The agaricus mushroom industry has been pushing this mushroom hard in Japan as a mushroom to help prevent cancer, yet has cancer causing agents in it. And get this, its a 600 million a year industry in Japan ... DOH !!!
Stamets recommend we do not eat button mushrooms and says he will never eat them again. I have to say that really bothers me since I love putting these mushrooms in food when I cook :frown:

So here is another story I found fascinating, and yet sad. So Stamets has been working with this huge non profit orgainization, I think it was called Patell, in developing different strains of mycelia for various things.

He has several patents they are using etc....well many moons ago they started using his research in various projects. One of discoveries this company made was that 2 of the strains Stamets sent them can neutrilize the VX nerve gas. This has huge military potential and Patell is a very large contractor of the government. So they were very interested in knowing more about these 2 strains.  They even offered Stamets a $2 million dollar grant to build a new lab and continue further research. Needless to say Stamets was estatic and this was unexpected as he had not explored this avenue. He even found out about it because his name showed up in the newpapers (his name being on the license of these strains Patell has) as being one the discoverers of this new potential to eliminate the problem of these toxins.
Think about it.. all the leaking nerve gas in canisters that has created huge messes in many places around the world, not to mention Sadam is using many nerve gasses in warheads and other weapons of war.

So the Patell corp wanted to know more about these strains from Stamets they were working with. Until this point he had them all labeled Strain A , B , C etc....and only he knew which mushroom mycelia went with each strain label.
Well, Patell found 2 of his strains to have amazing abilities to neutrilize these toxins. And it turned out, one of those strains, was ps. azurescens ....LOL.... the most potent psilocybe mushroom in the world. Stamets slipped that one in on them just to see what came back. Although, it backfired.:( Once he told them it was a psilocybe, soon there after they withdrew their offer for the $2 million grant. Oh well, you win some you lose some. But it just goes to show you there are so many alkaloids hiding in all these mushrooms that yet to have be discovered and used in so may usefull and potential ways to benefit mankind.

Another huge discovery he recenly made, many of the patents just went through last week, is that certain mushroom mycelia's contain alkaloids that destroy insect colonies yet humans can eat them.
He discovered, from his own house being destroyed by termites, after 10 years...LOL...He said every morning their was a pile of sawdust in this one area of his house he had to cleanup from the termites.

He laid out this certain mushroom mycelia, I cant remember which mushroom, that the termites took the colonized rice back into the labyrinth and it would wipe out the entire colony. Yet, the mycelia was very smart and knew when to release the alkaloids to kill the insects. It worked something like this.

The king insect would bring the mycelia to the queen for approval. She accepted it. Thus the worker insects all got busy and brought back piles of the mycelia and placed it throughout the colony. The mycelia would start growing on wood over the next couple of weeks. Once it had been dispensed throughout the colonies, the mycelia would release alkaloids that wiped out the entired colonies of insects, eggs and all. Talk about some smart mycelia. After a lot more research, it turned out it worked on many different kinds of pests, insects. Can you imagine the potential for all of this. All these years of the chemical companies using pesticides harmfull to humans and the answer lies in mycelia !!! It is said Stamets is somewhat in fear of someone knocking him off because of the multi billion dollar chemical companies dont want this information out there. Rumor has it Stamets was offered something like 50 million dollars for the patent by one of these chemical companies and he turned it down because he was afraid his research would be buried and forgotten.
Another interesting fact about this story is he got the idea from this by reading some other peoples research. But these other mycologist were not looking at the mycelium, they were looking at the spores for this answer. Once again, Stamets emphasized the importance of mycelia and how smart it is.

I'm only giving you the bits and pieces of these stories, there is a lot more to them but to much to write.
I'll tell some more of his research he discussed later.

-Peace-
www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores

Edited by Ryche Hawk on 08/28/01 02:32 PM.

Edited by Ryche Hawk on 08/28/01 02:54 PM.

Edited by Ryche Hawk on 08/28/01 03:10 PM.

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#380766 - 08/28/01 02:24 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Ok.. so what else. Well, Richard Doblin, from MAPS, gave some great info on psychedelics research.
Next month, the first psilocybin research approved by the DEA in 25 years is about to start. 4 years in the making to get this approved, he talked of all the red tape and headaches they went through to make this happen. Get this, it cost them almost $14,000 for 1 gram of synthetic psilocybin ....OUCH !!! Gvntment approved ....$14K. And some of you complain when you pay $50 for a 1/4 oz je je je :wink:

Another number, is it cost them something like 1.4 million a year to make this research happen. I think www.thehawkseye.com will be setting up some sort of donation fund to them soon since they are a non profit organization.

Andrew Weil gave a great lecture on nutrition, some of it involving mushrooms. I missed most of his lecture though.

The festival itself was really nice. A lot of very friendly and nice people, not just among the festival goers, but the locals from Telluride as well. I spent some time enjoying the local bar scene hanging out with some of the Telluride hotties :smile: Although, this worked out to my disadvantage since I was to hungover from partying till 4Am with the local woman that I was a mess saturday morning and missed the mushroom hunts.

The mushroom hunts really must have been fun. Everyone was coming back with baskets full of mushrooms every day, the morning hunt and afternoon, from all over the Telluride valley. They were all laid out on tables and mushroom taxonimist expert Gary Lincolf, helped everyone identify them.
I'm really bummed I missed the mushroom hunts. But we left for Telluride at 4Am on thursday, I never get up this early, I usually am just getting to bed at 4 am :smile: and well, I forgot to bring all my field guide books and collection tools [sad] so I skipped the mushroom hunts. I definatly will be going back next year to Telluride since it was a great learning experience as well as just an all around good time.

The mushroom parade and tasting was a a lot of fun as well. Lots of shroomers dressed up in costumes and dancing and just getting silly. Paul Stamets and Andy Weil were doing the bear spirit dance together, both looked pretty lit and really enjoying themselves :smile:

There I met up with some friends from High Times magazine and we hung out eating cubensis together.
Overall it was a great time and I look forward to going back next year. Telluride itself is a very beautiful area as well.
Hope to see more of you their next year :smile:

-Peace-
www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#380777 - 08/28/01 02:40 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

A couple of quick pics of Telluride. The top one is of part of the town itself showing the mountains east of town. The bottom one is from after the mushroom parade everyone gathers and dances in their shroomful bliss. This is when they also have a big mushroom feast and all the mushrooms collected are cooked for us.

I really didn't take many pictures this year but will certainly do a better job next year :)

-Peace-
www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores

Edited by Ryche Hawk on 08/28/01 03:41 PM.

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

OfflineLumonic
Stranger
    #380841 - 08/28/01 04:05 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

This is why I order from ya Ryche. You share very useful and interesting information, you actually show pictures of your products in action, show pictures of mushrooms, and you have formed a good relationship with the mushroom.

One question for ya. It seems many vendors are running out of Ecuador species lately. PF has gone dry and a few others. I take it you are well stocked? And why such a shortfall all of a sudden, is this species fading out?

One more question if you dont mind. I am new to spore making. Now if I am to make a print and a syringe, grow from that, take a print and so on from each batch that I would self supply via spore printing, would there ever be degradation from the inbreeding or is this only the case with a pure isolated culture? I am thinking like Cannabis seeds where each generation that is seeded from the same has inbreeding problems by the 4th generation and gets worse each one following. But with mushrooms I am thinking that all of the spores in one species creates a hybrid or cross breeding strength every time.

Sorry to bother you with that, but I would like to try to keep Ecuador species supplied myself and continue to buy other strains that I wish not to spore print from.

Thanks alot for the great information, Paul is a legend man.

Lumonic

Invisibleslither
addict
    #381017 - 08/28/01 07:46 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Fantastic, thanks for sharing that.

InvisibleBillyblastoff
Psychoactivepredator
 User Gallery

Loc: Down these mean city stre...
    #381035 - 08/28/01 08:14 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting stuff Ryche thanks for sharing, but where is Telluride? Im sorry but I dont buy that story about being offered 25 mil and him turning it down that whole story sounds kinda funny "the King termite presents the Queen" I didnt know termite colonies had kings. I know there is a heirarchy within the colony but cant remember at the moment who impregnates the queen which is what I think your reffering to as "the king". Oh well anyway besides this it sounds like you had a great time wouldnt mind attending something like this myself someday. Be sure to keep us informed about future events like this Im sure it would be appreciated. Shroom da fuk on...

Tell me something good then I might agree with you..

--------------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."

"There is a wealth of information built into us, tucked away in the genetic material in every one of our cells. The psychedelic drugs allow exploration of this interior world, and insights into its nature."

Tell me something good then I might agree with you....the Smithereens

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: The Hawks Eye @ Telluride Mushroom Festival [Re: Billyblastoff]
    #381085 - 08/28/01 09:43 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Ryche, sounds like Stamets covered very similar topics as last year. . .the termite story is a new one, though. I also thought the azurescens story was hilarious. I know the company, Batelle, a subsidiary of Pacific Northwest Laboratories, a government agency. Heavily funded by the energy department. My brother worked there trying to turn nuclear waste into non-leaching glass compounds. Funny how they say fuck off if a potential tool contains a controlled substance.
Stamets is an incredible human being. I have no doubt he turned down that two million. It wouldn't have been like money in his pocket or anything, the gub'ment would have had their policies all over his expenditures. Anyway, he is the real deal; I had my doubts before Telluride last year, but after hearing him speak and meeting him--he's my guru. Next to Dr. Weil, of course :)

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Hawks Eye @ Telluride Mushroom Festival [Re: Lumonic]
    #381404 - 08/29/01 11:57 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks Lumonic, we have plenty of ecuadors.
The degernation will occur only from the pure strain isolation being repeated many times. Also from growing it out on the same substrate over and over. Just take a few nice prints from the best specimans from each flush, and use some spores from each of those prints in your spore solutions. Not to worry, you wont be creating any hybrids in this manner. There is a lot more to it then that :)

-Peace-
www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Hawks Eye @ Telluride Mushroom Festival [Re: Billyblastoff]
    #381406 - 08/29/01 12:01 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I may not have the details exactly correct about the king and queen, but that is how I remember him explaining it.

The Telluride Colorado mushroom festival goes on every year. I think this was the 21st year in fact.
Here is the link to the website. http://www.telluride.com/mushroom.html
Although it only gives the price for all the lectures, you can buy individual lectures for $40 each. I hear the price will go down next year though. They only had 1/2 of their normal attendance this year.

I also found some brief descripions of these stories on Stamets website, www.fungi.com and a few others I haven't told yet.
DB said he had heard a lot of Pauls speech before, but there was a lot of new info as well. Regardless he keeps going back because Paul is so motivating. And I have to agree, he really excited me for mushroom all over again :)

-Peace-
www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores

Edited by Ryche Hawk on 08/29/01 01:02 PM.

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

Invisiblecantara
Loc: Beyond the sun
    #381418 - 08/29/01 12:24 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Was Terence McKenna ever at this festival while alive?

---- Cantara

When I was young I knew everything

--------------------
---- Cantara

[green]Shroomism, please don't delete this thread![/green]

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Hawks Eye @ Telluride Mushroom Festival [Re: cantara]
    #381425 - 08/29/01 12:42 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I am not sure about that one. Paul made a few reference to Terance as they had became very good friends the past 5 years of his life.

We also have one of Terence McKennas original strains. The Penis Envy or PE's for short. It looks like a penis, thus the name.
The problem is for so long this strain was sporeless. -Clyde- has been doing a lot of work with it these past 6 months and finally got some fruits to produce spores. Were thinking about offering spore swabs of it since their is not enough prints to go around. Perhaps some of you growers can work with it as well and get some flushes of spore producing fruits.
When we first heard about it we were told it was one of the strongest blueing and most potent cubs around.
-Clyde- tried 3 grams of it and said he had a level 5 trip which he was not expecting and actually did not care for such a strong experience.
I'll post some pics of it in the mushroom pictures section, a very unique, almost ugly looking cubensis, because it looks like a penis in many aspects.

-Peace-
www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#381435 - 08/29/01 12:53 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I just read another thread that the penis envy originated from Steven Pollack. So I could be wrong about it originating from McKenna.

-Peace-
www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

InvisibleBillyblastoff
Psychoactivepredator
 User Gallery

Loc: Down these mean city stre...
    #381547 - 08/29/01 03:48 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I'll check out those links thankyou,
and keep on spreading the knowledge..
"Shroom da fuk on brother"

Tell me something good then I might agree with you..

--------------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."

"There is a wealth of information built into us, tucked away in the genetic material in every one of our cells. The psychedelic drugs allow exploration of this interior world, and insights into its nature."

Tell me something good then I might agree with you....the Smithereens

OfflineLumonic
Stranger
    #381570 - 08/29/01 04:23 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks Ryche. Keep up the good work - been an off and on customer myself for almost 2 years now. I will be looking forward to any new strains you guys work with.

Lumonic

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

#381685 - 08/29/01 06:57 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

Anonymous

#381994 - 08/30/01 07:27 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Good stuff Ryche, thanks for the report!

Take a trip to the Spore Lab @:
http://www.SporeLab.com
email: getspores@sporelab.com

InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
    #382004 - 08/30/01 08:28 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

SO what species was it that killed the bugs? If Statmens is assinated, (gods forbid) my silver fish aren't gonna release akaloids onto themselves!
Maybe you should start offering medicinal and functional spores on your site as well,
Good to know about the azures, On my next covert opp I'll bring somewith me just in case, never can be too careful.

Oh btw, your the man, love the tazzies, thanks
Peace :-)

The Disco Biscuits Are totally Crescent Fresh!
www.discobiscuits.com

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Hawks Eye @ Telluride Mushroom Festival [Re: MeltingPenguin]
    #382198 - 08/30/01 03:23 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I dont remember which species. I'll ask DB and see if he remembers. Or you could call fungi perfecti and ask them. It may even be on their website.

-Peace-
www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores
[url]www.thehawkseye.com/dbkits.html[/url}
Dung Brothers Premium Mushroom Compost Kits

--------------------
-Peace-

www.thehawkseye.com

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags