Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemojav3
Administrator OfProcrastination

first timer, need some advice.
    #3777299 - 02/14/05 05:03 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I have been thinking about growing mushrooms for several months but now the time is right and I'm going to to try it. But first I need some advice from someone with more experience.

I plan on having two 1 pint canning jars to create my cakes. I'm going to use vermiculite and brown rice flour as suggested by one of the guides on this site. This seems the easiest and most fool proof way for a beginner like myself. Any other helpful suggestions as far as cakes? I read all the guides and think I have a pretty good idea of what to do. Create the vermiculite brown rice flour mixture, wet it down and put it in the jar, clean the top 1/2" of the jar and then put a layer or vermiculite in the empty 1/2" cleaned portion, seal the can with four holes in the lide for inoculation, sterilize it by boiling, let it cool thorougly and finally inoculate it, keep the inoculated cans in a dark place until complete colonization has occured. After colonization has occured you take the cakes out with as little disurbance as possible and place it into your terrarium. I think that is right, any suggestions would be helpful to help me in this process.

As for my terrarium, I am going to use the "poor man's terrarium" using the two liter pop bottle. I am not in a situation at home where I can have a big fancy terrarium setup. Secrecy is important and I can hide a two liter bottle pretty well. I was thinking about using a heat source of some kind to speed the flowering? process, I was thinking about using a small battery powered halogen light, they give off quite a bit of heat but i'm not sure if the light will hurt the mushrooms or not? Should I try the light as a heat source or just do without? I plan on keeping the bottles in a dark closet which is probably 72-78 degrees at all times with no air circulation or light at all. Would this be a good environment or not? I plan on opening the bottles two times a day to circulate fresh air into them also. Any suggestions on the terrarium? Anything at all would be appreciated.

Obtaining a spore syringe is my biggest question. I am not sure if putting the url of the place I am wanting to order a syringe from on this site would be against forum rules so I won't until I get an ok from a mod or admin, but this site sells several varieties and it appears to be a well ran site with a nice layout and everything.

Being new to this I have no idea what would be a good strain to try. I was thinking about trying two different ones at once, two strains in two bottles. Is there a strain which is particularly easy to grow? Is there a strain that is harder to grow? Is there a strain which is more or less potent? Are there strains that yield higher quantities gram wise than others (bigger caps)?

I was thinking of trying B+ because it is mentioned so much on this site, it seems popular and a good strain to grow. Other strains from this site are mazatapec, golden teacher, tazmanian, treasure coast, plantasia, mexican, cambodian, panama, and PES Hawaiian. Each syringe is 10 dollars. Maybe someone could share the place they get their spore syringes if they want.

That's pretty much all I can think of for now, I am really serious about doing this. I have a supply list wrote up and I am waiting for advice before ordering the syringes. Any help would be much appreciated. thx.

--------------------
- hunker down you hairy dog -

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
Re: first timer, need some advice. [Re: mojav3]
    #3777408 - 02/14/05 06:33 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

light wouldn't be your best move, try a heat pad or a TiT, and as far as what strain you use B+ isn't bad but it took me sooo long from inoculation to pinning, i'm not that experienced, but i would say try equadors, and for the spores i always go with lilshopofspores.com they are 17$ for a syringe but i've ordered from there a few times, they are very speedy with the delivery and i've had no problems with them at all, they email me when my package leaves and give me the usps tracking number. also if you mention a deal that another site has that is better than his he will usualy give you that same deal, atleast he did for me. anyways good luck

--------------------
"Most people don't know how they're gonna feel from one moment to the next. But a dope fiend has a pretty good idea. All you gotta do is look at the labels on the bottles." ~drugstore cowboy~

Offlinefunnylittleman
Stranger

Re: first timer, need some advice. [Re: fallingaway24]
    #3777496 - 02/14/05 07:52 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

also you might have a problem trying to put those 1 PINT cakes into your small bottle terrarium and still have room for mushrooms to grow.Maybe you could half the cakes and have 4 coke bottles or something. I don't really know if you can so just see what the other experienced guys say.

good luck

--------------------
The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question, is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride... And we... kill those people.

- Bill Hicks

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation