Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Inhaleable (no Hangover) Alcohol * 1
    #3774203 - 02/13/05 01:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Vapor Shots May Mean Fewer Hangovers
February 11, 2005
wesh.com

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A new machine lets you breathe in your favorite adult beverage without giving you the morning-after headache.

A fine mist could change your Friday nights. "It's a different way to do an old-school thing," Mark Robertson said.

Put down the beer, forget the shots and kiss that bottle of wine goodbye.

"We call the machine AWOL. It stands for alcohol without liquid," Robertson said.

That's right, it's a vaporized-booze machine.

"Once you turn it on, the oxygen mixes with the alcohol. It creates a vapor. The vapor is what you inhale," Robertson said.

Instead of swallowing shots, you breathe them in. Mark Robertson is now peddling these machines to bar and nightclub owners.

"We've sold four in the Florida area," Robertson said.

There are no AWOL machines in Orlando yet. The closest ones are in Ybor City in Tampa, and that's frustrating agents for the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco. They said since AWOL isn't really a still, and it really isn't a beverage, it falls outside their jurisdiction.

On its Web site, U.S. distributor Spirit Partners claims AWOL is a safe, legal, and low-calorie way to consume alcohol.

"There are no carbs. There is no hangover," Robertson said.

But addiction expert Dr. David Myers called the AWOL machine a dangerous gimmick.

"The reality is when you deliver drugs through the lungs, you're getting it to the brain the fastest way possible," Myers said.

It's even faster than using an IV, and that, Myers said, makes it more dangerous.

But until the state attorney general or the Legislature steps in to ban these alcoholic vaporizers, there's nothing to keep someone from abusing them.

"We would hope that an individual would have the responsibility to know when they've had too much. We also would hope that the bar owners would be able to have that responsibility and to notice if someone has had too much," Robertson said.

But if bartenders don't take that responsibility, some fear that this new way to consume alcohol will turn into the newest, and perhaps most dangerous way to abuse it.

AWOL website, UK
AWOL website, US

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: Inhaleable (no Hangover) Alcohol [Re: veggie]
    #3775113 - 02/13/05 05:18 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i need to buy some stock in that.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #3775265 - 02/13/05 05:53 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The closest ones are in Ybor City in Tampa,

:smirk: ..

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3777244 - 02/14/05 02:35 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i deff want to try this when it becomes more popular and in turn available to try in bars...

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3777391 - 02/14/05 04:17 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

> A new machine lets you breathe in your favorite adult beverage without giving you the morning-after headache.

Too bad this is a lie. A hangover is caused by three things:

1) dehydration - the liver uses water to process alcohol resulting in dehydration
2) metabolic waste - the byproducts produced by the liver when it processes alcohol
3) cheap alcohol - cheap alcohol has been fermented at warmer temperatures (which is faster) producing the same byproducts that the liver produces (This is really the same as #2, but the source is different.)

If you are not getting a hangover, it is because you are drinking a lot of water, not getting much alcohol, or getting good alcohol. A friend and I tried inhaling alcohol fumes once with no effects noticed after an hour of huffing everclear fumes. Granted, the picture shown is a nebulizer, not a vaporizer, but I doubt it makes much difference.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Inhaleable (no Hangover) Alcohol [Re: Seuss]
    #3779930 - 02/14/05 06:00 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well if this is the real deal, then it's real bad ass.

What gets me, is if you vote in the survey, it shows that most people voted that they would NOT try this. WTF? Who are these people?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: Inhaleable (no Hangover) Alcohol [Re: Learyfan]
    #3780687 - 02/14/05 09:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i want one!

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Inhaleable (no Hangover) Alcohol [Re: Vulture]
    #3781453 - 02/14/05 11:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

200 some odd bucks? I think I'd rather just take shots  :cheers:.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3783529 - 02/15/05 01:09 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

"Once you turn it on, the oxygen mixes with the alcohol. It creates a vapor. The vapor is what you inhale," Robertson said.

They fail to mention what proof alcohol.If its very high proof alcohol,what happens if it mixes it too rich?It sounds dangerous in the fact that it may malfunction and cause very high doses of alcohol to be inhaled.Also I dont think its healthy to introduce alcohol to the lungs.I am sure it wont be long before there is a casualty of some sort and some agency moves to ban it.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

#3783610 - 02/15/05 01:25 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well if you are not drinking alcohol, you are not going to the bathroom and loosing your water. Im sure that you will lose water to some extent but i think they mean it will reduce dehydration alot since you are not injesting constant large volumes of liquid in which you are not retaining water in the body.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Inhaleable (no Hangover) Alcohol [Re: relativexistance]
    #3788225 - 02/16/05 05:37 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Well if you are not drinking alcohol, you are not going to the bathroom and loosing your water. Im sure that you will lose water to some extent but i think they mean it will reduce dehydration alot since you are not injesting constant large volumes of liquid in which you are not retaining water in the body.

Bzzt, that isn't how the body works. You are absorbing alcohol into your blood stream, be it by drinking or inhaling. Once in your blood, the alcohol is processed by the liver... a process that requires twice the amount of water than alcohol to metabolize the alcohol into waste... plus alcohol causes your kidneys to go into overdrive removing even more water from your body...

Also, you become dehydrated when you do not drink enough water... your statement about "it will reduce dehydration alot since you are not injesting large volumes of liquid" is incorrect.

--------------------

OfflineAmsu Jackal
Urcan Refugee
 User Gallery

#15554056 - 12/21/11 11:42 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

you would think someone should mention that alcohol is a caustic chemical, and constantly inhaling alcohol instead of drinking it would start to kill the lining of the lungs after a while.

--------------------
Perfect calm is the sensation of pure awareness.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Inhaleable (no Hangover) Alcohol [Re: Amsu Jackal]
    #15554745 - 12/22/11 03:43 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

> you would think someone should mention that alcohol is a caustic chemical

I'm not a chemist, but I am pretty certain that ethyl alcohol is not considered caustic.  It is a solvent, and it will irritate mucus membranes, but it does not meet the definition of caustic (corrosive).

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #15554791 - 12/22/11 04:38 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
You are absorbing alcohol into your blood stream, be it by drinking or inhaling.

In fact, if you inhale the alcohol, you don't simultaneously ingest a fair amount of water (like you would do when drinking e.g. beer), and the degree of dehydration will actually be worse than if you were simply drinking.

Obviously, this thing is going nowhere - it's going to remain a niche product. The vast majority of the people who drink do so because drinking is a pleasant activity - you get the taste of the beverage, you can take a sip (or gulp) whenever you like, and as a bonus, you get inebriated. This alcoholic vaporizer only gets you fucked up, without the other benefits associated with drinking.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Inhaleable (no Hangover) Alcohol [Re: koraks]
    #15554916 - 12/22/11 05:50 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I think inhaling that vapor would be more exciting (every once and a while) than simply taking a shot.  Everyone passes it around and does it.  It's new and it's fun.  Well, it's 7 years old.  But it's still fun. 

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Offlinesk8ordude
Stranger
Re: Inhaleable (no Hangover) Alcohol [Re: Learyfan]
    #15555723 - 12/22/11 10:36 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Its cool enough, however alcohol might not be so good for your lungs.

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Inhaleable (no Hangover) Alcohol [Re: sk8ordude]
    #15556041 - 12/22/11 12:04 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

This sounds really, really fucking stupid. Just saying. No hangover? Haha, what a joke. These people are really trying to market this shit.

If alcohol is in your system at all, you can most certainly get a hangover. Seuss summed it up very well on why.

I would much rather measure the amount of alcohol I'm taking in with liquid anyways. Much easier to take note of how much I've had and I love a good tasting alcoholic beverage.

OfflineRiboflavin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwestish
Re: Inhaleable (no Hangover) Alcohol [Re: sk8ordude]
    #15556051 - 12/22/11 12:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I wonder what would happen if a flame got to close when using this.... would you're lungs splode?

--------------------
All that groks is God.

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Inhaleable (no Hangover) Alcohol [Re: Riboflavin]
    #15556068 - 12/22/11 12:10 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I can only assume anything alcoholic whether it be liquid or vapor is EXTREMELY flammable.

Offlinespacer
Confusionhathfuckhismasterpiece

Loc: belgium
Re: Inhaleable (no Hangover) Alcohol [Re: Uzziel]
    #15556523 - 12/22/11 01:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Uzziel said:
I can only assume anything alcoholic whether it be liquid or vapor is EXTREMELY flammable.

Yeah and if people start vaping pure alcohol I can see alot of people ODing to

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder