Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecrazymanja
Bug Eyed Earl
 User Gallery

Loc: I GOT SHROOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!
SOIL MOIST
    #3776438 - 02/14/05 12:15 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Anybody hear of a product by the name of SOIL MOIST? The guy at the plant store suggested it for humidity. It's a polymer (synthetic polyacrylamide) whatever in the hell that means. Any help would be appreciated. :laugh:

--------------------
"My mom thinks I'm special"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: SOIL MOIST [Re: crazymanja]
    #3776510 - 02/14/05 12:28 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

wow, after i read your post, i went to this company's website since i'd never heard of their product.  i found a page that is directly focused on mycelial growth with this product.  it actually referrs to mycorriza which is the relationship between mycellium and plant roots.  says it helps promote this as it is beneficial to plants.  also says it holds 200% it's wieght in water... i'd really like to hear from someone that might know more about this product, or what effects it might have as a casing layer or even a substrate... Anyone??? :confused:

edit: sorry guys, heres a link to that page here...
just read over it again (i'm stoned :stoned: ) and it says it includes "a diverse blend of 5 species of healthy viable ectomycorrhizal propagules and 7 species of endomycorrhizal propagules that are adapted to a wide range of plants".  however, as far as i know, mycellium is killed at PC'ing temps, so then you could possibly just innoc with your own spores... wow i'm really interested in this stuff know, i'm definately gonna see if i can find some and experiment with it too as a substrate within the next few weeks...

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Edited by NeedMoreSleep (02/14/05 12:36 AM)

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: SOIL MOIST [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3776521 - 02/14/05 12:31 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

ya i just checked it out and I don't see any reason it wouldnt work well for casing. I think I may do some expieriments.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3776849 - 02/14/05 01:46 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

oddly enough I did a little reading on it a few months back and found that it may
work but not be suitable. aparently someone has has made a casing with the base
polyacrylimide product, no additives... the stuff with additives will be potentialy harmful.

heres one of the threads, there was a couple of others I havent located yet
Advanced-Polyacrylimide

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep

Re: SOIL MOIST [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3776860 - 02/14/05 01:49 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

thanx for the link, i wasn't successful with the search function, keepem comin if you find em... i believe their transplant formula is a little different than the main product. i'm gonna try this stuff out as a substrate if i can locate any, maybe knock it up with a myc. culture, see what it does... hmmmm...

--------------------

-Boondock Saints

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: SOIL MOIST [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3776923 - 02/14/05 02:14 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

This stuff contains endomycorrhizal fungi :thumbdown:

It would (IMHO) be veiwed by Cubensis mycilia as an antagonist & a battle would erupt between the two. Of course, after bong hit 3, I may be talking out my ass.

A mycorrhiza is a symbiotic relationship between a plant and a fungus (actually, usually many fungi) - - the fungus attaches itself to the plants roots and functions as an extended root system for the plant, seeking out water and minerals that the plant can't get to.

This is especially important in the case of minerals, like phosphorus, that don't diffuse very well in water: it's necessary to be right at the source instead of waiting for the mineral to diffuse over to you in the groundwater.

Since a fungus' mycelium is only one cell thick, it can cover the territory in much more detail than the plant's roots can, and work its way into wherever it needs to go. In return, the fungus gets sugars from the plant. A fungus which has this type of relationship with a plant is called mycorrhizal. 

Fungi form two kinds of mycorrhizae: those that penetrate the cell wall of the plant's root and those that do not. The ones that do not are called ectomycorrhizal; those that do are called endomycorrhizal or, more commonly today, VAM fungi. 

Most ectomycorrhizal fungi are macrofungi, basidiomycetes such as boletes or gilled fungi. The mycelium of ectomycorrhizal fungi forms a sheath, or mantle, around the roots of the symbiont plant. From the mantle, a hyphal network called the Hartig net extends into the root, between the cells, usually just a few cells deep. The early research on ectomycorrhizal fungi and the anatomy of the interface between symbionts was done by Robert Hartig, so the Hartig net is named after him. 

Most endomycorrhizal fungi are in the order Glomales, and their fruiting bodies are hypogeous, when they are large enough to be seen at all. Many of these fungi have no fruiting body at all, reproducing entirely by spores produced one at a time on the hyphae. The mycelium of endomycorrhizal fungi actually grows into the cells of the symbiont plant, producing highly branched structures (known as an arbuscule, or "little tree") inside the cell wall but outside the plasma membrane.

The plasma membrane of the plant cell becomes wrapped around the arbuscule, providing lots of surface area for the exchange of nutrients between plant and fungus. The arbuscules only last a few days before they are dissolved and digested by the host plant, so they are constantly growing and dissolving in the roots of a plant with this type of mycorrhiza. 

Endomycorrhizal fungi also form swollen end cells called vesicles, either between root cells or within the cell wall. These vesicles are thought to be storage locations for fungal food reserves. The term "vesicle" can also be used in a wider sense, for any cell or organ that is inflated by the stuff that it is used to store; but at the moment, it is mostly used in connection with endomycorrhizal fungi. 

Because of the vesicles and arbuscules that they form, endomycorrhizae are sometimes called vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae, or VA mycorrhizae. Carrying the abbreviation process one step further, the fungi that form VA mycorrhizae are sometimes known as VAM fungi, and this term is more common nowadays than endomycorrhiza.

--------------------

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho
 Arcade Champion: Bowling

Re: SOIL MOIST [Re: agar]
    #3776934 - 02/14/05 02:19 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

What about this stuff??
http://www.driwater.com/noflash.html

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho
 Arcade Champion: Bowling

Re: SOIL MOIST [Re: Taskenti]
    #3776947 - 02/14/05 02:23 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

agar?

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep

#3776950 - 02/14/05 02:25 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i was thinking to use this in my substrate.  in theory, i could PC this stuff, which would kill the existing bacteria, as well as the ectomycorrhizal and endomycorrhizal fungi, then just replace with our own fungi (p. cubensis).  anyone know if cubes are endo or ecto, and what the diffence may be if cubes were one or the other??? :confused:

--------------------

-Boondock Saints

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3777010 - 02/14/05 02:44 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

bruceallen said:
What about this stuff??
http://www.driwater.com/noflash.html

bad juju, it aparently breaks down to water when it comes in contact with soil (substrate would probably be the same) and by the faq it's 98% water and 2% 'food grade products'

Offlinecrazymanja
Bug Eyed Earl
 User Gallery

Loc: I GOT SHROOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: SOIL MOIST [Re: agar]
    #3777328 - 02/14/05 05:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not sure what product you are looking at but the SOIL MOIST I purchased has nothing in it. No fungi no nothing. I'm going to do so humidity tests tomorrow, not sure if I'll try it as a substrate (TOOO new to this to try innovation).

--------------------
"My mom thinks I'm special"

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3777471 - 02/14/05 07:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

all the products on the page seem to some mycorrhizal additive, as a substrate
I can cuarantee it will not work, as a casing material it may but you may also
see some serious problems... if you are still determined to try it, please let us
know how it turns out

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep

Re: SOIL MOIST [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3778510 - 02/14/05 01:53 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
all the products on the page seem to some mycorrhizal additive, as a substrate
I can guarantee it will not work
, as a casing material it may but you may also
see some serious problems... if you are still determined to try it, please let us
know how it turns out

is that a dare pris? lol :stoned: i love a good challenge, i gotta at least try now....  it'll be a couple weeks, but i'll update you guys when i get this under way...

--------------------

-Boondock Saints

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation