Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejackgreen
JG
Male
Growing in hydro to harvest roots?
    #3773537 - 02/13/05 08:12 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Has anyone tried growing one of the DMT containing plants in a deep water culture setup in order to get massive roots quickly to harvest? I know its the rootbark you haravest, would the roots make this bark in hydro? Would it take an extended period of time say 2 years like soil?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Growing in hydro to harvest roots? [Re: jackgreen]
    #3774639 - 02/13/05 03:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

looks like you volunteered to test this =)

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3774969 - 02/13/05 04:52 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I would think that the roots would contain very little DMT. Just like with grafting a cactus, It grows much faster, since it has been grafted, and the mescaline content is significantly lower than if it was grown naturally because of its rate of growth (and because the root stock (thing it's grafted to) does most of the work - but that is different than growing hydro style). I would think with hydroponics, it grows faster and there is a lot more root growth, so it is less concentrated. It would take longer to get to the normal concentration - then again, it varies greatly from plant to plant (even of the same species).

You could still give it a try, no harm there.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Offlinejackgreen
JG
Male
Re: Growing in hydro to harvest roots? [Re: theocean06]
    #3775382 - 02/13/05 06:19 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I might just have to build a bucket to throw out on the back stoop. Last time I put a dwc catnip bucket out back I quickly learned my lesson when my pump burnt out after a rain.

OfflineBorgFace
PEENTASTIC
Loc: Australia
    #3775677 - 02/13/05 07:38 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

What plant would you grow though?

Mimosa will overtake the system too quickly, Acacia's don't like ferts so you're pretty much limited to Psychotria viridis.

--------------------
Give me an ounce of civet, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination!

Offlinetheocean06

Re: Growing in hydro to harvest roots? [Re: BorgFace]
    #3775784 - 02/13/05 08:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I would say Illinois bundleflower since he was talking about plants where the roots contain DMT.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

OfflineBorgFace
PEENTASTIC
Loc: Australia
    #3776244 - 02/13/05 09:35 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Oh right, that would make sense.

*stoopid*

--------------------
Give me an ounce of civet, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination!

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Growing in hydro to harvest roots? [Re: BorgFace]
    #3776475 - 02/13/05 10:22 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think there's any reason it would lower the amount of DMT in the roots. Also I've never seen definitive evidence that grafting mescaline containing cacti lowers their mescaline production, I've only heard people speculate. But even if that were true, comparing hydroponics to grafting is, to a certain degree, apples to oranges.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Offlinetheocean06

Re: Growing in hydro to harvest roots? [Re: Hooty]
    #3778676 - 02/14/05 02:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I never said it was definite. What I am saying (not really about the grafting, but more about the hydroponics) is mere speculation, since I doubt anyone has truly tested the different concentration of DMT in plant roots that were grown in soil vs. growing hydro.

--------------------

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #3779894 - 02/14/05 05:54 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i don't wanna sound like an old school grower/shaman but i believe these roots (desmanthus/mimosa) do need a certain deal of time in order to accumulate a good quantity of alkaloids, on certain plants (like triplaris spp) we have a greater concentration of alkaloids in the new shoots but the roots must be old, the older the better...

FH

Offlinetheocean06

Re: Growing in hydro to harvest roots? [Re: felixhigh]
    #3779989 - 02/14/05 06:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Forgot about that. I read (I need to save these links) where the roots for Illinois bundleflower need at least 3 years of growth to develop a significant amount of DMT. I don't think this is has ever been proven, but look at peyote. It is often "accepted" that you should wait at least 10 years for the cactus to develop enough mescaline, but there haven't been any lab tests to prove this without a doubt. That's the problem with entheogens, there really haven't been any studies on these plants.

--------------------

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

#3780367 - 02/14/05 07:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

another thing that might count against the hydro growing is that this kind of plant gets washed by water - even being the freebase dmt unsoluble in water, the rains somehow wash out the goodies of the plants, the harvest time is always in the end of the dry period. because then the plant is stressed, contains little water, a harvest after a good rain (or perhaps from the hydro setup) isn't nearly as potent...
i believe stress plays a big role into these mimosaceous plant's chemical makeup...

FH

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
    #3781781 - 02/15/05 12:43 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know anything about DMT containing plants, but I do know a little about hydroponics. The advantage of using hydroponics is that the plant doesn't need to waste energy looking for food and water (growing roots). Instead that energy is directed at production of the fruit and leaves. That is why some good things to grow hydroponically are tomatoes, weed, etc. You can get more product in a very short time.

Now it sounds to me like some of these plants will take a year or two to grow up, right? Hydro systems are expensive to run. Your final yeild really has to be worth it if you are doing it for years...

This, of course, is all speculation...

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#3782958 - 02/15/05 10:35 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

felixhigh said:
i don't wanna sound like an old school grower/shaman but i believe these roots (desmanthus/mimosa) do need a certain deal of time in order to accumulate a good quantity of alkaloids, on certain plants (like triplaris spp) we have a greater concentration of alkaloids in the new shoots but the roots must be old, the older the better...

FH

So how about you grow em to size hydroponicaly for mass, then put in planters outside to harden off/mature?

Offlinezenbed
ZenBed

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Growing in hydro to harvest roots? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3783302 - 02/15/05 12:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

In the name of efficiency, wouldn't it be better to hydroponically grow something like Reed Canary Grass (Phalaris Arundincea) if for the purpose of D M T? Since Mimosa Hostilis is a tree, I can only expect that decent yields would take quite awhile. Reed Canary Grass is considered an aggressive and invasive species which would lead me to believe that you could get some good growth from it in a hydroponic situation.

Here's a link on some research that was done back in "99 in Madison. It wasn't done for purpose of alkaloids but interesting all the same, IMO.

http://wiscinfo.doit.wisc.edu/arboretum/rsrchrs/research%20report/researchrpt.pdf

--------------------
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing in hydro to harvest roots? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3792036 - 02/17/05 06:09 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

sounds like a valid idea!

FH

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: felixhigh]
    #3792099 - 02/17/05 06:57 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Offlinejackgreen
JG
Male
Re: Growing in hydro to harvest roots? [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3794882 - 02/17/05 07:18 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Get a kitty litter bucket and cut out a 4'' hole slap in a 5'' net pot fill it with some geolite. Keep the circle you cut out u can use this to cover the netpot. Then cover the bucket in tape to keep the light out, like black duct tape. Drill a hole in the lid drop an airstone in and hook it to a pump, easy dwc bucket.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds